The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwerty_mad
Don't we just need it?! It's such a relief. But I'm not resting too much - got applications to write, a lot of planning and a 2,500 word essay to write.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely.

I'm going to spend a week working (5000 word assignment :frown:, evidence file building, planning and reflections) and a week just relaxing, catching up on reading and television and sleep! That's the plan anyway.
Thanks carnation Lily rose.

So glad it's Easter! Just finished final assessed period, but got about 6 hours of marking to finish off, job applications to do and a 5000 word assignment due at the start of May. Arg!
Original post by Steveluis10
Absolutely.

I'm going to spend a week working (5000 word assignment :frown:, evidence file building, planning and reflections) and a week just relaxing, catching up on reading and television and sleep! That's the plan anyway.

Yes, catch up on sleep!

I need to bulk up my evidence file. I'm in Early Years so how you suggest I do that?? How are you evidencing progress of your kids? I need to use the three weeks after Easter doing a lot of file building.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any tips on how to be short and concise in job applications?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any tips on how to be short and concise in job applications?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you needing to be short and concise? To fit in the required word limit? Otherwise, you need to go into detail on your points and give examples really. Write a draft and then read it over, editing out any sentences which repeat information already given or which don't really big you up.

Also, include an executive summary (go to TES jobseekers or google it to see what these are) - they pretty much guarantee shortlisting.
Original post by Shelly_x
Why are you needing to be short and concise? To fit in the required word limit? Otherwise, you need to go into detail on your points and give examples really. Write a draft and then read it over, editing out any sentences which repeat information already given or which don't really big you up.

Also, include an executive summary (go to TES jobseekers or google it to see what these are) - they pretty much guarantee shortlisting.

No particular reason other than that I think my sentences are a bit long winded.

Yeah I've started to added executive summaries to mine - got invited to one interview since then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for a job at a school where I went to both the school and sixth form... I spent a large part of my life there! I was just wondering would it be appropriate to mention this? I really feel that going to school there provided me with so many opportunities and I loved the sense of community there, which is still evident. I just don't know whether it would be of any use to my application to mention it.
Reply 3207
Yes, catch up on sleep!

I need to bulk up my evidence file. I'm in Early Years so how you suggest I do that?? How are you evidencing progress of your kids? I need to use the three weeks after Easter doing a lot of file building.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could try keeping a learning journey for a few chosen children, to show how you are moving on learning in action, thinking about next steps, assessment etc.

xxx
Original post by outlaw-torn
I'm applying for a job at a school where I went to both the school and sixth form... I spent a large part of my life there! I was just wondering would it be appropriate to mention this? I really feel that going to school there provided me with so many opportunities and I loved the sense of community there, which is still evident. I just don't know whether it would be of any use to my application to mention it.

I'm applying to the primary school I went to as a kid and gonna mention it - I genuinely want to work there more than any other school and it would be a dream to be offered a job. So I'm gonna mention it. I don't know whether it's the right thing to do or not though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
For those asking whether they should mention the fact they were a pupil at the school they're applying to - yes, do it. They'll know from seeing your name and education history who you are anyway but I applied for a job at the school I went to and in my first paragraph of the covering letter I mentioned why the school had such a good impact on me and linked it to the ethos. Don't go overboard though and start gushing about it or continually refer back to the fact you went there! Treat the rest of the application like you would any other and outline what you can offer them as a teacher, not as a past pupil.

I got the interview in the end but already accepted a job a few days earlier so had to cancel. Have no regrets as I want new experiences to start my teaching career and go out my comfort zone a bit but one day I would like to return maybe but who knows!
September 2012 was the date I started this course; It seems ages ago!

8 weeks left of teaching in which 4 of those weeks for me are only 4 days week.

5 weeks until I lose all of my year 11 classes due to GCSEs as well :biggrin:

The final hurdle is coming up, going to be soooooooooooooo happy at the end of June; will do a little dance in the staff room with a big grin on my face.

I've actually enjoyed this placement a hell of a lot more than last school where I was getting a dressing down lecture in front of the students by the HOD or in the corridor on various occasions; I feel for the people out there who have come across a complete tool in your placement. The difference in this school compared to the last is huge, I'm almost tempted to do an NQT year, almost being the key word.

Good luck all!!
(edited 10 years ago)
What are the consequences of qualifying with a 'satisfactory'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some course won't pass you with that grade, I know I have to achieve at least a good. Obviously you will know if you can pass with that grade though.
Some course won't pass you with that grade, I know I have to achieve at least a good. Obviously you will know if you can pass with that grade though.

My tutor said I'll still pass but that I might have to do a few extra weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't think 'satisfactory' existed anymore. My uni views a 3 as 'requires improvement'.
Original post by TraineeLynsey
I didn't think 'satisfactory' existed anymore. My uni views a 3 as 'requires improvement'.

Same here, but I know some PGCEs do it differently in terms of grading - i.e. not according to the Ofsted criteria.
Same here, but I know some PGCEs do it differently in terms of grading - i.e. not according to the Ofsted criteria.

My uni does it 1 (outstanding), 2 (good), 3 (satisfactory) and 4 (failing).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TraineeLynsey

My uni still use it but require you to go back and do a few extra weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3218

My uni does it 1 (outstanding), 2 (good), 3 (satisfactory) and 4 (failing).

Posted from TSR Mobile

My uni didn't even use any posted like criteria! It's confusing since even if they use the same, it will be different as you're being judged as a trainee and against the teaching standards specifically, as opposed to as a fully qualified teacher based only on learning.

My uni gave you a statement, something like of you continue you will pass, need to show improvement to pass, cause for concern or will pass with excellent practice.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3219
Apart from all the lesson planning etc, what is the uni work like? Harder than final year? Do you have to do a dissertation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending