The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TraineeLynsey
Got the job!! Ecstatic!

Well done !!! :smile:
Thanks!
What does it mean when in a job as they say 'previous applicants need not apply'? Obviously it means if you've applied in the past, don't again. But what's the reason for it? Is it because they'll consider you again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've always assumed it's because if they weren't interested before, they won't be now.

But thinking about it, if you were shortlisted previously and just pipped to the post then it would seem logical that they might reconsider....

Sorry, that reply is utterly unhelpful, isn't it?
Got the job!! Ecstatic!

Well done!! Obviously wasn't meant to be at your main school. Hope you are celebrating!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What does it mean when in a job as they say 'previous applicants need not apply'? Obviously it means if you've applied in the past, don't again. But what's the reason for it? Is it because they'll consider you again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
1 more day to get through before half term! So exhausted. Have 2 lessons to plan for tomorrow...
Got the job!! Ecstatic!

I'm so happy for you! What's meant to be won't pass you by! Congratulations!
What are you guys doing over the summer financially?

I have savings and my partners income however I'm worried about the gap between the last bursary payment and September :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got told today that I can start my job after half-term and I'll be getting paid over summer :biggrin:
Original post by Shelly_x
Got told today that I can start my job after half-term and I'll be getting paid over summer :biggrin:

Excellent!
Got the job!! Ecstatic!

Well done, join the NQT club :smile: whoop whoop after 2mrw I will be celebrating .....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shelly_x

Great news!
Original post by outlaw-torn
What are you guys doing over the summer financially?

I have savings and my partners income however I'm worried about the gap between the last bursary payment and September :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been saving some of my bursary/grants and my last government bursary payment is end of July, so I'm not too worried. July bursary will see me through August, and savings will see me through September and cover moving costs (need to move closer to my new school).
Half Term!!!!!
I've applied for about 15 jobs and had one interview so far that I didn't get, the feedback was really good though - so I didn't question my teaching ability.
Got another interview for after half term, 4th June, in either reception or year 1 (pretty broad!) thinking of doing something on repeating patterns as that is fairly easy to adapt if I got a really HA Y1 class or a very low FS class.

Got graded overall outstanding in my final placement, I just feel a bit gutted that I haven;t got a job yet, but some people who've had observations graded at 4's & 5's have! There's only about 5 on our course of 22 who are still applying!

Forgot to add, the school I have this interview at was my first placement school in October - Decemeber & the deputy head informed me of the jobs. I don't know whether this is going to be easy or really hard! Like they'd be looking in a lot of progression since October.
Original post by bethanyrae
I've applied for about 15 jobs and had one interview so far that I didn't get, the feedback was really good though - so I didn't question my teaching ability.
Got another interview for after half term, 4th June, in either reception or year 1 (pretty broad!) thinking of doing something on repeating patterns as that is fairly easy to adapt if I got a really HA Y1 class or a very low FS class.

Got graded overall outstanding in my final placement, I just feel a bit gutted that I haven;t got a job yet, but some people who've had observations graded at 4's & 5's have! There's only about 5 on our course of 22 who are still applying!

Forgot to add, the school I have this interview at was my first placement school in October - Decemeber & the deputy head informed me of the jobs. I don't know whether this is going to be easy or really hard! Like they'd be looking in a lot of progression since October.

The thing with the job hunt is that it's sometimes just luck on the day that wins you it. It's no reflection of who is the 'best' teacher on your course if they get jobs before you, it's simply the fact that people put on the right performance and had the right conditions on the day to land a job before you did.

Generally the school you apply to won't know what you've been graded throughout the year unless you make a point of including it in your letter and even then it doesn't mean anything to them because they judge you on that day alone. You may be outstanding but if your lesson and/or interview performance on the day is inadequate then you won't be employed.
Original post by Steveluis10
The thing with the job hunt is that it's sometimes just luck on the day that wins you it. It's no reflection of who is the 'best' teacher on your course if they get jobs before you, it's simply the fact that people put on the right performance and had the right conditions on the day to land a job before you did.

Generally the school you apply to won't know what you've been graded throughout the year unless you make a point of including it in your letter and even then it doesn't mean anything to them because they judge you on that day alone. You may be outstanding but if your lesson and/or interview performance on the day is inadequate then you won't be employed.

Yeah good point. I liken interviews to a final in football between a giant and a minnow. If they were play ten times, the giant would probably win 8 or 9 times but on the one occasion the minnow may produce the good and have the luck. It's the same with interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bethanyrae

Good luck :smile: have you had help with your application? The PS will be important for short listing. At least after half term you'll be competing against nqts and supply teachers :smile:
In the supporting statement of application forms should I write I am on the PGCE and will gain QTS in June 2014? Because all specifications, even those for NQTs, ask for QTS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest