The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

I didn't get the job :frown:

I got told that it came down to me and another candidate and they chose her...

They said I had a brilliant lesson, a brilliant interview and there was nothing that I could have done better. Ultimately, it came down to the fact that I was very similar to a teacher already there (unsurprisingly as she trained at the same uni as me with the same tutor!) so they felt that the other candidate could bring something different to the department.

The head said that if he could have made two vacancies and hired us both, he would have.

However, the headteacher has personally recommended me to a headteacher of another school in the area who will be advertising a job vacancy soon.

So I'm pretty upset cus I really liked the school and department and felt really confident about the interview... But I need to look at the positive feedback and the fact that I've been personally recommended to another school/headteacher...
Original post by Samus2
I didn't get the job :frown:

I got told that it came down to me and another candidate and they chose her...

They said I had a brilliant lesson, a brilliant interview and there was nothing that I could have done better. Ultimately, it came down to the fact that I was very similar to a teacher already there (unsurprisingly as she trained at the same uni as me with the same tutor!) so they felt that the other candidate could bring something different to the department.

The head said that if he could have made two vacancies and hired us both, he would have.

However, the headteacher has personally recommended me to a headteacher of another school in the area who will be advertising a job vacancy soon.

So I'm pretty upset cus I really liked the school and department and felt really confident about the interview... But I need to look at the positive feedback and the fact that I've been personally recommended to another school/headteacher...

That sounds really positive. I know it's hard not getting a job you want, so hugs!

I didn't get one job I interviewed for (but only got as far as the teaching task and written task) and their feedback was that it wasnt pitched right for those children (who I'd never met!) and I didn't show enough knowledge of the EYFS (which was frustrating as I could literally directly quote about 75-85% of it and know the rest really well... I just hadn't figured it that was what they wanted in the written task). That sucked a lot lol. So think of the positives, and good luck with the other school if you apply!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still not heard back from my mentor about these extra hours :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so frustrating. So are you doing any teaching at all? What do you do during the day on placement?
Original post by bonniex123
That's so frustrating. So are you doing any teaching at all? What do you do during the day on placement?

Just three hours a week and definitely going up to 7.5 after halfterm but going to need more. My placement is just those 3 hours don't do anything else outside of that time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
My mentor finally got back to me. There's no extra hours :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ratchit99
Had my first rubbish lesson in my second placement.
Group of y9s who just werent interested in what i was teaching them. I tried the standard punishments, warning, sending them out, making them stand up if they were messing on their chairs but they just didnt care...the teacher was like, its ok theyre a laddish group you just need to be firm etc but i just felt like if i punished one, others did it because they knew theyd get punished and then get to walk outside infront of all their mates...im really stumped :frown:

You sound a lot low me. I had my first bad lesson of my second placement. It was a year 9 class.

It's so difficult to reflect without being too hard to on yourself.
I really need to start being more assertive and I know that but I don't know how to deal with it :frown:
Original post by gemmam
My mentor finally got back to me. There's no extra hours :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't sound like they're trying hard enough! Is there any way you can speak to someone above your mentor? They can't just not sort out your placement, it's their job to organise this :/
Original post by clara_oswald
Doesn't sound like they're trying hard enough! Is there any way you can speak to someone above your mentor? They can't just not sort out your placement, it's their job to organise this :/

I'm not sure but I've already contacted another department and another college myself about the possibility of doing some teaching hours with them. I also spoke to a careers advisor earlier and he told me I should put in complaint in and see about getting my tuition fee reimbursed back to SLC.
Original post by gemmam
I'm not sure but I've already contacted another department and another college myself about the possibility of doing some teaching hours with them. I also spoke to a careers advisor earlier and he told me I should put in complaint in and see about getting my tuition fee reimbursed back to SLC.

I have to say that I no longer know the ins and outs of the training process, but I'm pretty sure someone's head should be rolling about this. There doesn't seem any kind of excuse for reneging on their obligations like this.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I have to say that I no longer know the ins and outs of the training process, but I'm pretty sure someone's head should be rolling about this. There doesn't seem any kind of excuse for reneging on their obligations like this.

In my case I started my placement late because my mentor was on bereavement leave (which can't be helped) however several others on my class are in the same boat and they have different mentors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
In my case I started my placement late because my mentor was on bereavement leave (which can't be helped) however several others on my class are in the same boat and they have different mentors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure there should be some kind of ombudsman to appeal to in cases like this. Alas, I no longer have anything to do with the training of students and I don't know who it is, but there will be someone. In a system where accountability has reached almost daft levels, there cannot be a way in which student entitlement isn't covered.
Original post by gemmam

Getting reimbursed is the least they can do. They've also wasted lots of your time and have potentially put you off your career choice. Maybe if you put in a complaint soon they'll get their act together and sort something out before it's too late. What does your mentor suggest as it's their job to look after you? X
Original post by gemmam

You should definitely put in a complaint! If you don't get the hours that is bad enough, but it should in no way, shape or form mess up your student finance, seeing as it wasn't your fault at all.
Original post by bonniex123
Getting reimbursed is the least they can do. They've also wasted lots of your time and have potentially put you off your career choice. Maybe if you put in a complaint soon they'll get their act together and sort something out before it's too late. What does your mentor suggest as it's their job to look after you? X

Original post by Airfairy
You should definitely put in a complaint! If you don't get the hours that is bad enough, but it should in no way, shape or form mess up your student finance, seeing as it wasn't your fault at all.

I haven't really had the chance to speak to her properly about it but seems less dismissive about it than my tutors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am just about to apply for my first teaching post - but as our uni has given us no advice whatsoever yet I was wondering if any of you had an idea: - in the previous employment section do I have to put my mundane sales assistants jobs? Although I can see how certain qualities of the job will relate quite well it just seems pretty pointless! I am guessing the answer will be yes but just wondered if anybody had been given other advice.

Also if anyone has an insight into who you are supposed to put as a second referee, again, that would be most appreciated. I am guessing a previous employer as well as university tutor?
Original post by floralteapot
I am just about to apply for my first teaching post - but as our uni has given us no advice whatsoever yet I was wondering if any of you had an idea: - in the previous employment section do I have to put my mundane sales assistants jobs? Although I can see how certain qualities of the job will relate quite well it just seems pretty pointless! I am guessing the answer will be yes but just wondered if anybody had been given other advice.

Also if anyone has an insight into who you are supposed to put as a second referee, again, that would be most appreciated. I am guessing a previous employer as well as university tutor?

We've been told if you can make a genuine point about a previous job giving you skills you can use in a teaching job, then put it. Otherwise don't.

Also, the two references should be one uni tutor (from current PGCE uni) and normally a mentor from your first placement, or second once they know you enough. You wouldn't really put down a previous employer.
I got a copy of the form from the college for making a formal complaint; however I'm unsure how I should word it. Anyone know of any organisations which could help me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending