The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alabelle
Ok well I was teaching Y2, so we had to do time to five minutes. Time is funny though. Your ability groups could be totally messed up up because some children are taught it by their parents very early, others never even look at a clock. So you might very well have children who have a watch, who are working at a y2 level because they're fab.

My problem with time was that I didn't break it down into enough steps. If I could do it again, I'd get the children to spend time looking at the clock, telling me things they notice. I'd break down exactly what I want them to do (which way does the clock go round, minute/hour hands etc.) and test them before starting the topic properly so I could reset my ability groups. I'd spend a lot more time covering the 'basics'.

Sorry if any of this seems obvious, I just had a hard time teaching this. The children had a great deal of misconceptions and because I didn't break it down into tiny, achievable steps, these weren't corrected. Good luck! I'm sure it'll go better than it did for me, haha.

Thanks. I started o'clock today and went really, really slowly with them, but they picked it up really well. Slowly but surely seems the way forward!

It is so good having a two day week, but they are so tired and out of the school loop. One poor little dot fell asleep in the home corner!
Original post by Sportycb
If that is directed to me, I don't teach in the UK. I dropped QTS in my 3rd year (of a 4 year PE QTS course), due to falling out with my mentor and losing my confidence.... long story!

After I graduated in 2012 I started working at an English language summer camp, loved it, and did the CELTA course (most known TEFL course).

Now I teach at a small private language school in Lisbon, Portugal. I love living and teaching abroad.

I don't want to rub it in, but what I love is all the things I love about teaching I have, the things I hated about teaching during my degree and teaching practises I don't have to do here.

Yes it was. Forgot to quote you in first message. Sounds good. How did you get your first job without the CELTA?

I understand where you're coming from. I'm working in TEFL in Spain at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunfowers01
Yes it was. Forgot to quote you in first message. Sounds good. How did you get your first job without the CELTA?

I understand where you're coming from. I'm working in TEFL in Spain at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right we are similar I am sure. Did you get QTS in the UK? Also, have you done your CELTA?

I got the first job due to the fact that I had a PE teaching degree and lots of experience coaching and PE teaching that they were happy to take me on a an 'Activity Leader'. I didn't start teaching English there obviously until I had my CELTA.
I wish I could teach abroad. I was highly interested in the JET programme in Japan. I wouldn't want to move away for that long though. I have commitments in this country for the time being.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
I wish I could teach abroad. I was highly interested in the JET programme in Japan. I wouldn't want to move away for that long though. I have commitments in this country for the time being.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you considered just getting a teaching job overseas for a few years? There can be huge financial benefits to it. My parents got jobs in the middle east for 5 years because salary is tax free and they give you a place to live so they could rent out their house here to pay the mortgage and just stash for a few years.
Reply 5145
Hello! I am not sure if this question as been already asked.
If you do a SD course with PGCE, is it harder than doing the PGCE on its own? I mean, do you have extra work?
After all I've read I am scared of starting the course, but I need to choose first.

Thanks!
Original post by Ratchit99
Have you considered just getting a teaching job overseas for a few years? There can be huge financial benefits to it. My parents got jobs in the middle east for 5 years because salary is tax free and they give you a place to live so they could rent out their house here to pay the mortgage and just stash for a few years.

Whilst that sounds amazing and extremely beneficial, I'm not in a place to do anything like that at the moment. I'd like to in the future though.

I'd definitely want to focus on Japan though, as I'm learning Japanese and love the culture there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are essays the worst part of the course for everyone else? I just need to finish this one and then I only have to worry about my dissertation after this but I think I make a right meal of freaking out over them.

I think it's made worse because it's the exact same essay I wrote for my first essay except I'm looking at different standards so there's so much that I wish I could just lift and use over in this one too.

And having another look at how much I did for TS8 during placement 1 just makes me more pissed about getting a requires improvement for it. Nobody else understands why it was RI either.

*grumbles*
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Are essays the worst part of the course for everyone else? I just need to finish this one and then I only have to worry about my dissertation after this but I think I make a right meal of freaking out over them.

I think it's made worse because it's the exact same essay I wrote for my first essay except I'm looking at different standards so there's so much that I wish I could just lift and use over in this one too.

And having another look at how much I did for TS8 during placement 1 just makes me more pissed about getting a requires improvement for it. Nobody else understands why it was RI either.

*grumbles*

Yeah, they're killing me! Thankfully I've only got the 3 4,000 word essays for the year. But, writing in an education discipline is so different than my original discipline and i've found that really tough!

*grumbles*

They're not the hardest part for me - I did my degree in Education so I'm pretty used to the format. They are difficult though. I just feel like my brain is mush! We've been allowed 2 days off to work on the assignment but apart from this we are in uni as normal. There isn't much time to think properly about what we're doing. At the moment I have 1,000 words and just five days to add 4,000 words to it. I'd normally spend much more time on an assignment. :frown:
Original post by Samus2
Yeah, they're killing me! Thankfully I've only got the 3 4,000 word essays for the year. But, writing in an education discipline is so different than my original discipline and i've found that really tough!

You're computing too, right? I find moving from that very dry essay style to being all mushy and feely really really hard.

They're not the hardest part for me - I did my degree in Education so I'm pretty used to the format. They are difficult though. I just feel like my brain is mush! We've been allowed 2 days off to work on the assignment but apart from this we are in uni as normal. There isn't much time to think properly about what we're doing. At the moment I have 1,000 words and just five days to add 4,000 words to it. I'd normally spend much more time on an assignment. :frown:

I've written 2500 since yesterday morning when I started and the essay is due at 4 today. I really don't help myself :/ I think the main issue really is time because there really isn't enough of it when juggling a full time job on top of the essays. I'm glad they put the deadline in half term but at the same time I've been prepping for the 9 new classes I pick up next week, plus the 5 others I'm already teaching. I need more days :frown:
You're computing too, right? I find moving from that very dry essay style to being all mushy and feely really really hard.

I've written 2500 since yesterday morning when I started and the essay is due at 4 today. I really don't help myself :/ I think the main issue really is time because there really isn't enough of it when juggling a full time job on top of the essays. I'm glad they put the deadline in half term but at the same time I've been prepping for the 9 new classes I pick up next week, plus the 5 others I'm already teaching. I need more days :frown:

History, whilst it's a written subject, the education format is just difficult. And I hate Harvard referencing too so my referencing takes me ages!

How long does /it need to be?
Original post by Samus2
History, whilst it's a written subject, the education format is just difficult. And I hate Harvard referencing too so my referencing takes me ages!

How long does /it need to be?

Ah, there's another CS student somewhere around here. Yeah, the education is weird because it's formal but personal and it's weird to hit the balance.

It needs to be anything below 3000 and I'm at 2800. The issue is what I've actually written is super reflective but not all that academic :/

Yep time is definitely an issue. :frown: Are you working a full time job as well as the PGCE? That's insane!

Congrats on 2500 in 2 days :redface: I need to make progress like that! Finding it hard to be systematic about how I'm working right now though. Keep getting stuck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Gah, an ideal job has come up today. It is in a sixth form that I have been constantly checking hoping something would come up.

I'm definitely going to be applying, but I applied for another job last week which closed for applications today. If I end up getting an interview, and then say I got offered a place, that would all be before the other one shuts, and I'd be so gutted to miss out on an interview for my dream sixth form because I'd accepted a job elsewhere.

I know that sounds overly optimistic and I'm thinking ahead. There's just part of me that thinks it will be easier if I don't get an interview for the first job now, because the newly advertised job is everything I was waiting for :love: . :frown:

*grumbles*

I don't think you will find one person who says they like the essays :awesome: . I hate them. I hate having to focus on two things at once. I either want to focus on essays, or my teaching, not both :angry: .
Ah, there's another CS student somewhere around here. Yeah, the education is weird because it's formal but personal and it's weird to hit the balance.

It needs to be anything below 3000 and I'm at 2800. The issue is what I've actually written is super reflective but not all that academic :/

I'm finding the reflective/academic distinction really confusing! Most of our essays are supposed to be reflective, but at the same time we get criticised if we don't reference enough, but I don't understand how you can reference loads when it is a reflective piece.
Original post by Airfairy
I'm finding the reflective/academic distinction really confusing! Most of our essays are supposed to be reflective, but at the same time we get criticised if we don't reference enough, but I don't understand how you can reference loads when it is a reflective piece.

I'm literally shoehorning academic stuff in that vaguely fits with what I'm doing. I don't think any of us really have time to research a theory before we get to put it into practice anyway. We can't exactly stop a session and be like "WAIT WAIT WAIT... I just need to go and check this book for how to respond to this exact situation!"
I am in the process of filling out an application form for a job.

One section is 'Membership of organisations that are relevant to your application'.

I am really not sure what to put in here? Does this mean unions or something?
Yep time is definitely an issue. :frown: Are you working a full time job as well as the PGCE? That's insane!

Congrats on 2500 in 2 days :redface: I need to make progress like that! Finding it hard to be systematic about how I'm working right now though. Keep getting stuck.

Nope, I meant the school hours I'm doing, plus part time stuff I'm involved in.

I'm hitting so many brick walls and struggling to get things done. I've just submitted my essay though so hopefully I can now get back to focusing on teaching. The worst that happens is I'll have to resubmit the damn thing!
Nope, I meant the school hours I'm doing, plus part time stuff I'm involved in.

I'm hitting so many brick walls and struggling to get things done. I've just submitted my essay though so hopefully I can now get back to focusing on teaching. The worst that happens is I'll have to resubmit the damn thing!

Well, fingers crossed it won't come to that!

I'm really distracted now because someone mentioned jobs :frown: An hour later I realise I've wasted lots of time looking at ofsted reports and school websites! Oops!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending