The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
Thanks for your replies. Well my plan was to help out with something but she told me there wasn't really anything running so I could set up my own. I'm not sporty in the slightest (that would be so much easier!).

I was leaning towards a film club because it sounds easy and I really can't think of anything else to do. It also sounds a bit boring though, but I guess the kids like having somewhere warm to come and eat their lunch with a film.

You could use it to demonstrate building positive pastoral relationships with pupils?
Reply 5401
ICT/Computing folks/OR anyone who knows

Is it okay to ask to observe how a technical lesson is taught so you can learn how to explain things better/break things into smaller chunks?

I have a lesson on cryptology and they need to use excel for it - I have tried self teaching this topic, I have no clue, and I feel lost beyond anything..

I cannot imagine teaching this to an able A* class (literally) when I have no clue on it myself

I have taught the lower years Logo and scratch so far, this is just about okay, but the above flew past my head.

Sometimes I really think I chose the wrong subject - I'm not saying English or History are easy but I may have enjoyed them a little more.. I taught a lot of business studies in my last placement, i enjoyed it 10 times more! But I don't think it's easy to swap to those after my PGCE :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
What do you all do for extra-curricular? If anything. Because it is now second placement I know I am expected to do something, but I'm really not sure what!

In my first placement I ran mock Oxbridge interviews for physics and engineering as well as running a science club session (it ran on a rota where all science staff taught once per term). My second placement doesn't seem to do much extra-curricular at all - I don't know of anyone in my department involved in anything.

If you want to avoid sport, perhaps offer to do some lunchtime revision sessions for key year groups? Schools will normally jump at the opportunity to have more instruction - they can either be open to all pupils or compulsory for pupils on the C/D borderline (for example).
Im just feeling so negative today, ive spent all morning working on an assignment and ive got marking to do this afternoon and im just sitting here wondering why im going through this when i could go back to my old systems management job and have weekends to chill for the most part and none of this stress :frown:
Original post by tory88
In my first placement I ran mock Oxbridge interviews for physics and engineering as well as running a science club session (it ran on a rota where all science staff taught once per term). My second placement doesn't seem to do much extra-curricular at all - I don't know of anyone in my department involved in anything.

If you want to avoid sport, perhaps offer to do some lunchtime revision sessions for key year groups? Schools will normally jump at the opportunity to have more instruction - they can either be open to all pupils or compulsory for pupils on the C/D borderline (for example).

Hmm. I love the uni interview idea, but this placement is only 11-16. I am already doing a revision session for D target pupils, but they are being pulled out of lesson for it so it's not really extra curricular. I'll have to have a think. My mentor doesn't seem too bothered if I do anything or not, but it is essential for one of the standards I think. I can't remember now.
Original post by Ratchit99
Im just feeling so negative today, ive spent all morning working on an assignment and ive got marking to do this afternoon and im just sitting here wondering why im going through this when i could go back to my old systems management job and have weekends to chill for the most part and none of this stress :frown:

Look at it this way - there must have been a reason why you decided to leave your old job and take on teaching. You just need to remind yourself of it. It is hard balancing assignments, but once they are done they are done.
Hmm. I love the uni interview idea, but this placement is only 11-16. I am already doing a revision session for D target pupils, but they are being pulled out of lesson for it so it's not really extra curricular. I'll have to have a think. My mentor doesn't seem too bothered if I do anything or not, but it is essential for one of the standards I think. I can't remember now.

Maybe think about what your strengths are? Do you speak a language or sing quite well or enjoy creative writing? Try to focus on things you enjoy and it might not seem like a huge chore to run.

Look at it this way - there must have been a reason why you decided to leave your old job and take on teaching. You just need to remind yourself of it. It is hard balancing assignments, but once they are done they are done.

Some other good ones are maths games club (board and card games) which is good for basic numeracy skills. Homework club where you support with homework as a parent would. ICT club where they have a chance to use software the school has to play around with. Also look up computer club for girls, that would be a really simple one to run if it's still going- I was in it at school!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
To end an already dreadful week we've just had a call from my in-laws telling us that they're waiting to hear if my dog needs emergency surgery tonight or tomorrow morning.

So I think there goes uni again.
So i just had a skype with my uni tutor and told them how i was feeling. Theyve just told me to go with it and we all get it sometimes. I do feel better for it, im just hoping that this week is better than last, i dont know if i can do 3 and a half weeks of screwing up :/
Original post by ParadoxSocks
To end an already dreadful week we've just had a call from my in-laws telling us that they're waiting to hear if my dog needs emergency surgery tonight or tomorrow morning.

Aww im so sorry :frown: id be gutted if anything happened to my cats, fingers crossed for you x
Reply 5410
Is anybody taking the assessment only route for QTS and if so do they have any advice? Or has anybody taken this route and secured a job at the end if it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks

I feel your pain because my dog was rushed in over the weekend and I've spent all weekend worrying sick about him! He's 12...

I hope that they are okay! They really become part of the family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel your pain because my dog was rushed in over the weekend and I've spent all weekend worrying sick about him! He's 12...

I hope that they are okay! They really become part of the family.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope they're okay too. Fingers crossed for them both. Travelling back to my hometown (we're currently on holiday in my uni county so I was going to go straight to uni today) to find out what is actually going on and to wait around looking worried.

Trying to find ways to get involved in today's classes without actually being there. I've sent a couple of my resources to a friend so he can at least demonstrate a few things I've magically created.
Has anyone here applied to be an exam marker? I applied a couple of months ago and got an invitation to mark today - now I'm panicking because it is money that I need but it is whilst I am doing the PGCE so I don't know if I'll be able to balance my PGCE and 350 exams!
Has anyone here applied to be an exam marker? I applied a couple of months ago and got an invitation to mark today - now I'm panicking because it is money that I need but it is whilst I am doing the PGCE so I don't know if I'll be able to balance my PGCE and 350 exams!

We were told its worth checking out by our tutor but I've honestly not had time

AQA requires 3 terms' teaching experience. Who are you marking for?

Can I be brutally honest here? (I hope I have been supportive enough in this thread in the past to be allowed one caveat...) It is very worrying to think that our students' exams are being marked by someone not yet in the profession. I don't blame you at all for thinking about it - it must seem an attractive idea. However, I worry a good deal about the exam board's thinking this is an acceptable practice and it is no wonder that there are so many remarks revealing widespread discrepancies. Sorry. It's not meant to be a criticism of you - please don't take it that way.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
AQA requires 3 terms' teaching experience. Who are you marking for?

Can I be brutally honest here? (I hope I have been supportive enough in this thread in the past to be allowed one caveat...) It is very worrying to think that our students' exams are being marked by someone not yet in the profession. I don't blame you at all for thinking about it - it must seem an attractive idea. However, I worry a good deal about the exam board's thinking this is an acceptable practice and it is no wonder that there are so many remarks revealing widespread discrepancies. Sorry. It's not meant to be a criticism of you - please don't take it that way.

OCR. No no, don't apologise. My current mentor said the same thing! It was my old mentor who recommended I went into it, and yes it is certainly attractive. By the time I mark I would have had taught and marked OCR exams on my placement so that will help. But yes I am surprised how easy it is to get invited to mark. My boyfriend is marking OCR history and he's not even studying for a pgce!

Posted from TSR Mobile
OCR. No no, don't apologise. My current mentor said the same thing! It was my old mentor who recommended I went into it, and yes it is certainly attractive. By the time I mark I would have had taught and marked OCR exams on my placement so that will help. But yes I am surprised how easy it is to get invited to mark. My boyfriend is marking OCR history and he's not even studying for a pgce!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a mark of how desperate they are and how demoralised teachers are that they cannot recruit them. I am sorry for being so depressed by this. It really isn't a reflection on you, but frankly, why does anyone bother teaching when you don't even have to be a teacher to do this? It's one thing to be knowledgeable about history and quite another to be a judge of how reasonable an answer on a history topic by a 16 year old is.
Original post by kpwxx
Similar things to a normal interview only without the school specifics- about assessment, send, safeguarding, how you deliver curriculum...

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for answering, and sorry to be a pain but could you give me an example of a question?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It's a mark of how desperate they are and how demoralised teachers are that they cannot recruit them. I am sorry for being so depressed by this. It really isn't a reflection on you, but frankly, why does anyone bother teaching when you don't even have to be a teacher to do this? It's one thing to be knowledgeable about history and quite another to be a judge of how reasonable an answer on a history topic by a 16 year old is.

Even worse, he's marking A-Level not GCSE. My mentor said they are really desperate because her friend marked for OCR and then got an email saying she had been taken off the list because she had made mistakes, yet a week later she got an invitation to mark because they needed people so bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending