The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Could you find summertime work to top up your income? NCS or summer schools might be an idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess I could. I just don't like the instability and insecurity of that.
Original post by Airfairy
That is so cute! I actually awwed haha. I wish more people thought that like. I am an extreme gift giver myself. I think sometimes I give them to people and they think I'm weird for it. Like it was one of the trainees birthdays at school recently and I guess I don't know her THAT well but I remembered and got her a present and no-one else did so I felt a little awkward :colondollar: . But I do love giving them. I hate it when people don't seem to even acknowledge it though. Some people just grab it like "oh thanks" and then chuck it somewhere. I'll be giving my thank you chocs out to those I've spoken to and then an extra bottle of wine for my mentor (she loves wine so it makes sense). I love my year 7s to bits and I'd love to get them all something awesome but it really adds up when there's 32... :lol:

Original post by Sam89
Me too!

Personally, I really appreciate gifts. However, I get very uncomfortable when opening gifts in front of people, so I always put things to the side until I'm alone.
Looks like I'm off to Asda then. Thanks guys!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if Asda do party toys. Can only speak about Tesco.
Looks like I'm off to Asda then. Thanks guys!

A question I am toying with at the moment... what is the minimum amount of money (yearly) you would all want in order to be content with your income? I am interested in a job but it's 14k as it's term time only and I have to admit that it is bothering me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I worked in a school for about £15k (term time only, but longer hours than just the school day) and did a playscheme job in the holidays. Lots of people working there were TAs too. I can't speak for all of them obviously, but I always got the hours that I asked for (it was one for children with special needs), and it was reasonably well paid too (currently on about £7.20/hr), given that it's not generally a well-paid job
Sigh, need some serious motivation tonight!

I've got my final university observation tomorrow, year 10 parents evening and a buck load of marking to get done! Already can't wait for tomorrow to be over!
Original post by Samus2
Sigh, need some serious motivation tonight!

I've got my final university observation tomorrow, year 10 parents evening and a buck load of marking to get done! Already can't wait for tomorrow to be over!

Know the feeling, professional mentor observing me tomorrow last period followed by year 7 parents evening. Joy!
Original post by Sam89
Guys please can someone suggest gifts for the following people;

- Lovely TA who's been nothing but helpful
- Lovely lady in the reprographics office, again made me feel so warm and welcome when I started
- Mentor
- Uni Tutor

Please remember a student on a budget here! I want to make the TA, reprographics lady aware of how much of a difference they made

Uni tutor has been so helpful, so again want to make him aware of how helpful he's been

Mentor - just a courtesy gift.. hasn't helped much but i'd like to leave on good terms..

I have seen a 'teachers survival box' made with a marble in case you loose any, a tissue for when a child says you've made a difference... I can't remember many things but I'm sure it'll be online somewhere! You could do a version for your TA, and also for your mentor if you like. Branded best TA gifts might also be nice depending on what he/she likes... It sounds cliche and possibly impersonal but I got a best teacher charm thing from one of my TAs in my NQT year and now I love looking back on it, as it reminds me I made a difference to children's lives.

Another idea is a bag of relaxing things for the summer... Smellies, a magazine, mini wine... Could be good for the mentor and the tutor. A hand written thank you letter about how they've helped you will probably mean more than anything to any of them, especially the tutor and the TA. Do any of them like stationery? It's a common like amongst teachers. Or a collection of mini toiletries, hand gel is always good for teachers with all the germs flying around, the soap and glory one is really nice!

Maybe for the lady in reprographics, could you cut out and print loads of nice pictures and words to spell out a thank you message or similar, stick them on to paper and photocopy them in to a booklet or onto one page and frame it? If you use typewriter style fonts,different angles etc it can look awesome!

Oh also I framed a quote about the importance of play for my NQT mentor and printed up a little booklet of quotes (early years!!).

Don't know your age range but children's books might go down well too. Or topic related books... A fun science facts one for a science teacher? Or see if there are any 'funny things children say' type books.

Hopefully some of this is of some use!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6327
Rotten lesson, rotten behaviour.

This is what happens when it's raining and the kids need to stay inside..
Reply 6328
Original post by kpwxx
I have seen a 'teachers survival box' made with a marble in case you loose any, a tissue for when a child says you've made a difference... I can't remember many things but I'm sure it'll be online somewhere! You could do a version for your TA, and also for your mentor if you like. Branded best TA gifts might also be nice depending on what he/she likes... It sounds cliche and possibly impersonal but I got a best teacher charm thing from one of my TAs in my NQT year and now I love looking back on it, as it reminds me I made a difference to children's lives.

Another idea is a bag of relaxing things for the summer... Smellies, a magazine, mini wine... Could be good for the mentor and the tutor. A hand written thank you letter about how they've helped you will probably mean more than anything to any of them, especially the tutor and the TA. Do any of them like stationery? It's a common like amongst teachers. Or a collection of mini toiletries, hand gel is always good for teachers with all the germs flying around, the soap and glory one is really nice!

Maybe for the lady in reprographics, could you cut out and print loads of nice pictures and words to spell out a thank you message or similar, stick them on to paper and photocopy them in to a booklet or onto one page and frame it? If you use typewriter style fonts,different angles etc it can look awesome!

Oh also I framed a quote about the importance of play for my NQT mentor and printed up a little booklet of quotes (early years!!).

Don't know your age range but children's books might go down well too. Or topic related books... A fun science facts one for a science teacher? Or see if there are any 'funny things children say' type books.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's ever so thoughtful - thank you so much, will def use some of these ideas! xxx
Original post by kpwxx

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is such a nice idea! Definitely will be using some of these!
Ill again... Mad how you can be in school powering through then get home and suddenly feel like crap! Frustrating.
I'm so annoyed. Been at my school since before easter and heard nothing from my uni tutor! I'm supposed to be observed around now too...

Luckily my mentor is brilliant.
Our uni is being Ofsteded and I'm one of the chosen ones they're coming in to see on Monday.

I feel sick :frown:
Our uni is being Ofsteded and I'm one of the chosen ones they're coming in to see on Monday.

I feel sick :frown:

Both my schools have been ofsteded and trainees have been kept out of slight and not allowed to teach! I'm surprised you're being observed.

However, I wouldn't worry too much. We are trainees and they will know that. It is not the same pressure as if we were qualified.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just had a brilliant lunchtime robotics club. Really getting through to one of my really disruptive pupils. He was absolutely delightful in my lesson this week and so polite throughout lunchtime with me. Hoping he'll engage a little more if he sees me more.

Both my schools have been ofsteded and trainees have been kept out of slight and not allowed to teach! I'm surprised you're being observed.

However, I wouldn't worry too much. We are trainees and they will know that. It is not the same pressure as if we were qualified.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a uni one rather than school based one. They're coming in to check the quality of the PGCE so they assess through looking at the trainees :frown:
Just had a brilliant lunchtime robotics club. Really getting through to one of my really disruptive pupils. He was absolutely delightful in my lesson this week and so polite throughout lunchtime with me. Hoping he'll engage a little more if he sees me more.

It's a uni one rather than school based one. They're coming in to check the quality of the PGCE so they assess through looking at the trainees :frown:

Try and keep calm!

Keep reminding yourself that you're not being assessed and the outcome can't reflect on you as a teacher. They will want to know that you are being supported and that you know you need to reflect... those will be the main things. Even if ofsted assess an NQT as an actual teacher they expect them to be less developed as professionals, so they will not expect wonders from your uni, just that they are supporting you the best they can.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
Try and keep calm!

Keep reminding yourself that you're not being assessed and the outcome can't reflect on you as a teacher. They will want to know that you are being supported and that you know you need to reflect... those will be the main things. Even if ofsted assess an NQT as an actual teacher they expect them to be less developed as professionals, so they will not expect wonders from your uni, just that they are supporting you the best they can.

xxx

I know you're right. I'm just getting myself into a flap. I have my final tutor observation on Tuesday, a job interview next Friday (that I haven't figured out how to get to just yet), ofsted on Monday and then an external examiner coming in to see me on the first Tuesday back. It just all seems to be hitting me at once when all I really want to do is work with my pupils at the moment before I have to leave :frown:
I know you're right. I'm just getting myself into a flap. I have my final tutor observation on Tuesday, a job interview next Friday (that I haven't figured out how to get to just yet), ofsted on Monday and then an external examiner coming in to see me on the first Tuesday back. It just all seems to be hitting me at once when all I really want to do is work with my pupils at the moment before I have to leave :frown:

Gosh, that all sounds very stressful :frown:

I've been ill this week, and went to the doctor yesterday. He thinks that I've got glandular fever, but he's got to wait for the blood test results to confirm :s-smilie: I'm not sure what that means for placement if I do.... Really don't want to miss any more time.
Original post by adastraz
Gosh, that all sounds very stressful :frown:

I've been ill this week, and went to the doctor yesterday. He thinks that I've got glandular fever, but he's got to wait for the blood test results to confirm :s-smilie: I'm not sure what that means for placement if I do.... Really don't want to miss any more time.

Oh no! Gladular fever wouldn't be good at all. It lasts for quite a while doesn't it? I really hope the results come back negative and you've just got a bad sore throat! Keep us updated. Hope you feel better soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry! I was ofsteded on my PGCE and it was better than I thought. The woman was lovely and gave me some really useful feedback from my lesson. And she was more bothered about the relationship I had with my uni mentor/school mentor and how often I was being observed and getting feedback. It wasn't as bad as I expected!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending