The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laura.a.c265
It's rubbish the way finance works. We have a whole week on primary placement and a day in uni before we enrol officially and SF isn't triggered till we do that. Then it takes 3-5 days to be paid. So basically we get our loan 11 days after we start!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

only 11 days! We won't get to enrol at the university until September 18th, so won't get the money through until the week after. That's possibly 24 days after we've started! Thankfully I managed to save enough money to cope, but I know others on my course will struggle, and obviously others across the country, like people here. They should change the way it works for people on SD and other courses that start earlier.

Original post by neilcn
Hmmm..... one week into my Schools Direct, and I am coming down with a cold. Haven't had one for ever!

I'd heard about how easy it is to pick things up on placement, I just wasn't expecting it so soon!

I got one yesterday (the second day I was on my course). I felt terrible by the evening, and I hadn't been anywhere near a child until today! The adults are just as germy as the kids! I've heard horror stories of people in Early Years getting worms?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by beanbrain
only 11 days! We won't get to enrol at the university until September 18th, so won't get the money through until the week after. That's possibly 24 days after we've started! Thankfully I managed to save enough money to cope, but I know others on my course will struggle, and obviously others across the country, like people here. They should change the way it works for people on SD and other courses that start earlier.

I got one yesterday (the second day I was on my course). I felt terrible by the evening, and I hadn't been anywhere near a child until today! The adults are just as germy as the kids! I've heard horror stories of people in Early Years getting worms?!

That's appalling. If you are on SD you should be allowed a morning to go in and enrol. Luckily my husband is supporting me, but I don't know how some people are managing. Very poor organisation on the part of unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laura.a.c265
That's appalling. If you are on SD you should be allowed a morning to go in and enrol. Luckily my husband is supporting me, but I don't know how some people are managing. Very poor organisation on the part of unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I absolutely agree, just because their PGCE students don't start until that week, doesn't mean the SD students should wait too. There are at least 5 people on my course that have school aged children, Plus more who have moved house or similar... something should be done, but I don't know what.
I am in School Direct but my uni (liverpool hope) has us enrolling online. I did it in my lunch break today and it took 10 minutes.

With regards to catching things...it's perfectly possible. I have 20 years early years experience before starting mg EY PGCE and I have seen people catch everything!!!
You need to establish really good hygiene practices with the children x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobble1987
When i was on school direct last year i even got nits! Enjoy!

Use a tea tree oil shampoo or conditioner or spray and comb through a tea tree and water mix. Lots of past colleagues did this and managed to never get them even after years of working with little children. Apparently they don't like the smell (the nits, that is, not the children...).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Use a tea tree oil shampoo or conditioner or spray and comb through a tea tree and water mix. Lots of past colleagues did this and managed to never get them even after years of working with little children. Apparently they don't like the smell (the nits, that is, not the children...).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found this out post infestation!
Original post by kpwxx

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good idea I'll check it out -we're spending the next three weeks at uni but it wouldn't hurt to 'be prepared'. The smell will possibly deter my husband though!

1.5 days to go... and I still haven't finished my pre-course essay!
Reply 7327
Hi every one!
I need your help !!
Do you have any information about gcse equivalent test ?
Original post by Gheena
Hi every one!
I need your help !!
Do you have any information about gcse equivalent test ?

What do you need to know?
I have finally enrolled on to my EYT course on saturday, bit of a pain as i travelled 2 hours to get there and i only was at the enrolment for only 5 min or so. I properly start the course on wednesday next week :smile:
Reply 7330
Original post by xjay1234
What do you need to know?

I need to know any information about English test if you did it before ,can you give me any idea about your questions
Reply 7331
I havn't started yet but am wondering at what point in the PGCE are we expected to teach?
Reply 7332
Help please!
Do you have any information about gcse Equivelencey test.
Original post by xjay1234
I have just read my PGCE Drama Handbook - the assignments are linked to my subject. :smile:
Original post by S27
I havn't started yet but am wondering at what point in the PGCE are we expected to teach?

Generally you will start with leading small groups and just taking small parts, building up to whole lessons and sessions. Exactly what the pace is depends on your provider, but when you get told it will seem really soon!! I think mine was about one week on for whole class elements. Don't panic though, everyone feels that and once you get doing it it's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by S27

As above: it depends massively on the provider, and the school you're placed at. I was there for 2 weeks, when I taught small and then large chunks of lessons. Then I took over my first class, and added another one or two per week until I'd reached my full timetable allocation. Everyone will feel like they need more time, and everyone's first lessons will be abysmal - although lots of people (myself included) don't recognise it at the time.
I am doing an early years SD PGCE. My current placement is in reception at school A. My next one is also in reception at school B and my final one is Y1 at School A again.
I hope to teach reception when I get a job.
But would you request Y1 in School B because by my 3rd placement I will be teaching 80% of the time yet I will only have had reception exp up to then and it is a different curriculum?
I would love to stick with reception but I'm torn about what is best for my professional development and career prospects!
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pineapple pie
I am doing an early years SD PGCE. My current placement is in reception at school A. My next one is also in reception at school B and my final one is Y1 at School A again.
But would you request Y1 in School B because by my 3rd placement I will be teaching 80% of the time yet I will only have had reception exp up to then and it is a different curriculum?
I would love to stick with reception but I'm torn about what is best for my professional development and career prospects!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's good to get a mixture. In reality, you can't guarantee that a reception job
Will be the one you get and you will undoubtedly move through year groups when you do get a job. It's good to get broader experience as it won't seem so daunting then when you do for real on your own :smile:
Original post by Pineapple pie
Posted from TSR Mobile

Career wise don't worry too much, my main placement was KS1 even though I preferred early years and went on to teach nursery. As long as you have one it will be fine.

It seems a little odd that you're going back to the same school with a different class though! But maybe that's just because my uni did wrap around placements so we returned to each one after the other. Personally I think this is a good way round to do it. It will let you get your head around the early years ethos and everyone I know has said it's easier going up in age. Early years IMO gives a great insight in to everything! Plus if you're in a good Y1 setting it will be very similar anyway.

Oh, also, because of how early years works you will still get a good experience of all the elements on a reduced timetable,which you might not with KS1. Aaaaand this way you get to experience early years in two different schools so you get a broader view to allow you to develop your ideas more... If you switched it, you'd only see how one school did reception.

So in summary I think it's good how it is:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't wait to start the teaching. I'm observing a year 4 class this week and thinking "I could do some of this".

Although I'm well aware that there's all kinds of things the teachers are doing to keep things smooth that I'm not even registering, and I'll be eating my words when I start placement!

I'm looking forward to being taught how to teach. I'm quite confident on subject knowledge, but definitely need a lot of advice on how to actually teach it!
Original post by Gheena
I need to know any information about English test if you did it before ,can you give me any idea about your questions

http://www.equivalencytesting.com/ these are the people you need to book with for GCSE English equivalency test for PGCE.

Look at the ESTABLISHMENTS FOR WHOM WE TEST cos they are the places that accept equivalency tests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending