The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Definitely takes dedication to become a teacher!

Well done on your observation FadetoBlackout

x
And with Ofsted being able to arrive at school a the drop of a hat, and Gove fancying the idea of making school days longer (babysitters are we Gove) then its going to take a heck of a lot more determination!
OK, I've found a job that looks pretty do-able.

Only, they've written their entire website in Comic Sans. Argh!
Reply 803
Original post by FadeToBlackout

It's primary! YAY SMILEY HAPPY COMIC SANS!

Uhoh! Is it in colour as well?
Reply 805
It's the weekend and I'm a few days ahead in my planning! Time for football in the park, drinks tonight, and the chance to actually read a book for pleasure (albeit a bit of Eric Hobsbawm).
Busy, busy, busy this weekend - My placement offered me a job yesterday!!! I have eight days left at this school until I go to my second placement, so now I need to make everything I do in these last days as perfect as possible! I've got my first school trip next week and feeling a little apprehensive about the responsibility of being in charge of a large group of children in a busy town :frown: Eek. Anyone else done a school trip yet?
I have an application form filled out for my first placement school in case a job comes up, all apart from the statement. I started my second school on Thursday. Can't help but compare it to my second school.

Welcome to primary education! :biggrin:
Original post by *Sparkle*
I have an application form filled out for my first placement school in case a job comes up, all apart from the statement. I started my second school on Thursday. Can't help but compare it to my second school.

I know, I'm so attached to my first school, I really don't want to start my second placement - I cried when the head offered me a job, haha, I'm going to be embarrassed on Monday!
Comic Sans is used at Secondary School too, I've seen it so often I find it odd reading Times New Roman and Arial now!
Original post by jaime1986
Busy, busy, busy this weekend - My placement offered me a job yesterday!!! I have eight days left at this school until I go to my second placement, so now I need to make everything I do in these last days as perfect as possible! I've got my first school trip next week and feeling a little apprehensive about the responsibility of being in charge of a large group of children in a busy town :frown: Eek. Anyone else done a school trip yet?

Congrats on the job offer. :smile:

Original post by oxymoronic
Welcome to primary education! :biggrin:

It's all about the 'a' lol. I never realised, until we discussed it in a lecture, that most fonts use this 'a' instead of the type of a we teach children to use. :redface:

Congratulations! Are you going to take it?
As for the school trips, I have one massive piece of advice. Stick yourself at the back (you're not going to be leading this as a student, I am assuming) of the kids and act as a sweeper, making sure none of them get left behind. Count them at every opportunity and count them again. Most important thing ever. Truly.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Congratulations! Are you going to take it?
As for the school trips, I have one massive piece of advice. Stick yourself at the back (you're not going to be leading this as a student, I am assuming) of the kids and act as a sweeper, making sure none of them get left behind. Count them at every opportunity and count them again. Most important thing ever. Truly.

I am one of those people at the airport who checks where their passport is repeatedly, so I can see that I will be counting all day!!
Yea, I accepted straight away as the school is within walking distance from my house and I love everything about it; I feel like I am dreaming. The job section in the TES was huge last night though, so it seems that there are a lot of positions becoming available now.
Reply 813
Do this. You need it. I remember arriving home from school during my teaching practice and falling asleep immediately for about 2 hours every night.

I second this.

Every now and again, I get home at 4, sit on my bed and get the laptop out and then wake up a couple hours later.

Got taken out of my year 9 class yesterday (parent concerned his kid wasn't progressing apparently) so less to worry about now at least.
Original post by gabjam
I second this.

Every now and again, I get home at 4, sit on my bed and get the laptop out and then wake up a couple hours later.

Got taken out of my year 9 class yesterday (parent concerned his kid wasn't progressing apparently) so less to worry about now at least.

It gets better, really it does. Until you get old like me, of course, when you come full circle, but by then it's nothing to do with teaching and everything to do with age!
Reply 815
It gets better, really it does. Until you get old like me, of course, when you come full circle, but by then it's nothing to do with teaching and everything to do with age!

Haha I hope so!

Science PGCE + full-time athletics training = DEATH
I know, I'm so attached to my first school, I really don't want to start my second placement - I cried when the head offered me a job, haha, I'm going to be embarrassed on Monday!
Comic Sans is used at Secondary School too, I've seen it so often I find it odd reading Times New Roman and Arial now!

I thankfully haven't come across any comic sans so far on my pgce. YAY
Original post by gabjam
Haha I hope so!

Science PGCE + full-time athletics training = DEATH

Well, it looks like it! When you start work, look carefully at the PE department. How old are the ones who are currently having their knees and hips replaced? Stop the athletics training at least 10 years before that. The science you're stuck with I'm afraid.
I am one of those people at the airport who checks where their passport is repeatedly, so I can see that I will be counting all day!!
Yea, I accepted straight away as the school is within walking distance from my house and I love everything about it; I feel like I am dreaming. The job section in the TES was huge last night though, so it seems that there are a lot of positions becoming available now.

Some things are just meant to be. Good luck!:smile:

Congrats on the job offer! I love to hear other people getting jobs, makes me feel like it could be possible for me too. So pleased for you. The job pressure is well and truly off. Well done you! :party:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending