The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by balloon_parade
Didn't get it! :frown: Really gutted! Got whittled down from over 200 applicants to be pipped to the post to an teacher who has just started doing supply there. Was told by the head "If there are any other jobs then please, please apply" so not sure if that means there will be another coming up or not and also that he'd love to have me on supply so I guess there are positives! Just feels like all that effort for nothing! Still waiting on the official feedback so hopefully that will give me something to work on for next time (if I manage to get shortlisted again!)

Not looking forward to going back to school tomorrow, really want it done and dusted now, I want to be back in early years. Tutor is coming to sign me off tomorrow so hopefully that will go well and I can start winding down, just totally exhausted! Eugh, I need a pick me up and it's too hot for chocolate!

Oh, I'm so sorry. It so often happens like that, so take comfort from the suggestion about supply and try to get your foot in the door if you can. And it's never too hot for chocolat, never.:console:
Hey, sorry to bother you all as I know you must be rather busy! I'm starting my PGCE in September and my mum has just asked me if I get a graduation ceremony, similar to the undergraduate graduation. Does anybody know? Or does it vary? I know it's a bit early as I haven't even started yet but I think she feels guilty about missing my last one! Thank you xx
Original post by noodles!
Still waiting... Guess no news is news in this case, and certainly don't think I'll hear til tomorrow now. Expecting a no though so it's fine I guess. When do I give up and start applying for supermarkets??

I got the call from my current job after 7.30pm, so it isn't necessarily bad news. Don't give up yet.
Original post by Sarang_assa
Hey, sorry to bother you all as I know you must be rather busy! I'm starting my PGCE in September and my mum has just asked me if I get a graduation ceremony, similar to the undergraduate graduation. Does anybody know? Or does it vary? I know it's a bit early as I haven't even started yet but I think she feels guilty about missing my last one! Thank you xx

It's been a VERY long time since I did mine, but no, we didn't. Things might be diferent by now, since you are all paying fees for it.

Mine does and it's accredited by a university rather than at one so I think it's a pretty safe bet, have a look at the info about this year's graduation on your uni's site and see for sure :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000

I graduated 2 years ago and I didn't have a ceremony. I think it very much varies from uni to uni.
Didn't get it! :frown: Really gutted! Got whittled down from over 200 applicants to be pipped to the post to an teacher who has just started doing supply there. Was told by the head "If there are any other jobs then please, please apply" so not sure if that means there will be another coming up or not and also that he'd love to have me on supply so I guess there are positives! Just feels like all that effort for nothing! Still waiting on the official feedback so hopefully that will give me something to work on for next time (if I manage to get shortlisted again!)

Not looking forward to going back to school tomorrow, really want it done and dusted now, I want to be back in early years. Tutor is coming to sign me off tomorrow so hopefully that will go well and I can start winding down, just totally exhausted! Eugh, I need a pick me up and it's too hot for chocolate!

Sorry to hear you didn't get it, sounds like you had a positive day overall though?

Chocolate is always acceptable whatever the weather, and there's no excuse not to have chocolate ice cream!
and there's no excuse not to have chocolate ice cream!

There is, it's horrible! :tongue:
Thanks guys, I settled with a mini milk! Just got to dust myself off and keep going! Yes it was a really positive day, everything went well and I will be pestering them about the supply!

RE: Graduation ceremony, we're having one in November! :smile:

Fingers crossed for you Noodles! :smile:

On a happier note my friend got her first teaching post today so I'm really pleased for her! :smile:

At Durham, you have one. We miss the summer ceremonies though [they are in June and our course doesn't finish until July], so we have to have a winter one - so it is in January. You don't get a certificate if you decide to carry on and do the MEd but you can still attend the ceremony. :smile:

Personally, I cannot be bothered. I did the whole graduation ceremony thing for my undergrad and I cannot be fussed with coming back up to Durham 6 months after I've finished to sit through such a ceremony again. :redface:
Thank you! I'm just exhausted from the whole process! I will be pestering them at lunch tomorrow, might even just ask them to email if it's easier! Hopefully this feeling of utter disappointment will go away soon!

I know how you feel. I had 2 interviews within 2 days of each other a couple of weeks ago and felt so awful when i didnt get either. But, you have to think that if they didnt think you were right for the job, that probably means the school wouldnt have been right for you.

At my uni (Edge Hill) we graduate the same week in July as the undergrads.
Gaaaah still no contact from my interview. My department are convinced that something is going on (ie. someone was offered the job but needed time to think about it and now the panel have to reconsider?) but I'm just convinced that it's a no and I'll find a letter from them in a day or two. Definitely not kind of them to make people wait with no idea of when they'll be contacted!
Thank you for all the replies everyone!! Looks like it's a bit of a mix so fingers crossed!
Original post by affinity89
At Durham, you have one. We miss the summer ceremonies though [they are in June and our course doesn't finish until July], so we have to have a winter one - so it is in January. You don't get a certificate if you decide to carry on and do the MEd but you can still attend the ceremony. :smile:

Personally, I cannot be bothered. I did the whole graduation ceremony thing for my undergrad and I cannot be fussed with coming back up to Durham 6 months after I've finished to sit through such a ceremony again. :redface:

I did it twice already - in 2008 for my BA, and in April for my free-with-the-cornflakes magical MA upgrade.

It was sunny and boiling hot on both times.

I might even have two to go to- the Education Faculty organise one, and my college have decided to do an extra one too.
Finally got told this morning that I didn't get the job. No big surprise. Apparently they were impressed but I didn't interact with the kids enough during my lesson (yet every other observation that's been a strong point, damnit)
Finally got told this morning that I didn't get the job. No big surprise. Apparently they were impressed but I didn't interact with the kids enough during my lesson (yet every other observation that's been a strong point, damnit)

I'm really sorry. The feedback comments are not alwys helpful, I'm afraid. they have to say something, but sometimes the truth is actually (and this happened to me once) the candidate who got the job is the boyfriend of someone already in the department, and they can't get away with saying that. (The deputy head phoned me to tell me that, on the quiet, and asked me not to tell anyone. She said to call her if I ever wanted to apply for promotion and she'd help me out. I never did get to the bottom of the thing. It was very odd.)

I say this often, but if it's meant to be, it'll not pass you by. Chin up.

Sorry to hear that. How did the lesson pan out after your worries, though? (I'm MFL too, so I'm nosy :p: )
Last lot of lesson plans/flipcharts/resources made now until after half-term.

Bit gutted about tomorrow. I had two great lessons for the afternoon, which were going to be a push at 1 hour each [as in, a push to get everything in]. Now we've got this special jubilee picnic thing going on, which reducing my afternoon session to 1h40, if we get back bang on time. Obviously, once we get back, a good 10 minutes will be lost as the children go back to class/go to the toilet etc and we have to leave at least 5 minutes at the end of the day to get them ready for home. So, that leaves me 1h25 for the two lessons. Torn now. I've prepped everything and both lessons are ready to go but I think it will be best to do one of them really well, rather than trying to squeeze both in and the lessons being a bit rubbish as a result. Will have to see how things go. :/

In other news, I have 7 teaching days left!!! Yay! I cannot wait until I don't have to write another flipping lesson plan or mark books or fill in assessment sheets again! :redface:
Original post by affinity89
Last lot of lesson plans/flipcharts/resources made now until after half-term.

Bit gutted about tomorrow. I had two great lessons for the afternoon, which were going to be a push at 1 hour each [as in, a push to get everything in]. Now we've got this special jubilee picnic thing going on, which reducing my afternoon session to 1h40, if we get back bang on time. Obviously, once we get back, a good 10 minutes will be lost as the children go back to class/go to the toilet etc and we have to leave at least 5 minutes at the end of the day to get them ready for home. So, that leaves me 1h25 for the two lessons. Torn now. I've prepped everything and both lessons are ready to go but I think it will be best to do one of them really well, rather than trying to squeeze both in and the lessons being a bit rubbish as a result. Will have to see how things go. :/

In other news, I have 7 teaching days left!!! Yay! I cannot wait until I don't have to write another flipping lesson plan or mark books or fill in assessment sheets again! :redface:

This happens to me almost everyday, can't tell you how frustrating it is! Also just had lessons that weren't supposed to be mine dumped on me at the very last minute, it's been tough. I have 7 teaching days too and break up for half term tomorrow, whooppeeeee! :smile:
-

Noodles- sorry to hear your weren't successful, what a long wait to tell you that. Quite unfair. Keep going, we'll all find something soon!

Sooooo tired! Getting up at 5 is not fun and a tonight is just going to be assessments finalised for tomorrow! Fingers crossed I get another interview soon!

Quick Reply

Latest