The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Found out my first placement today! Excited :biggrin:
Original post by robo donkey
Found out my first placement today! Excited :biggrin:

oooh yay!! Is it easy enough to get to? What year are you in?

I have my induction day tomorrow, and start my two week orientation next week. I can't wait to meet my class and my mentor :biggrin:
Original post by Sarang_assa
oooh yay!! Is it easy enough to get to? What year are you in?

I have my induction day tomorrow, and start my two week orientation next week. I can't wait to meet my class and my mentor :biggrin:

About a 30 mile drive -_-, but that's about 10 miles closer than Uni anyway so that's pretty good! Variety of years I guess (secondary), hopefully see the 6th form too
Good luck with your placements! Im not 100% liking my placement, but ive been promised one next time (january) by my mentor, which he thinks i will like a LOT more - so fingers crossed!
Original post by robo donkey
About a 30 mile drive -_-, but that's about 10 miles closer than Uni anyway so that's pretty good! Variety of years I guess (secondary), hopefully see the 6th form too

Ouch. The furthest I had to go for placement was 12 miles, guess I was lucky. Which uni are you at?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1585
Well our placements start next week! excited though bit worried... they seem to be pretty hard to get a hold of!
Original post by xxmijxx
Well our placements start next week! excited though bit worried... they seem to be pretty hard to get a hold of!

I thought the same. My placement school don't seem to have their own website, so I can't do as much preparation beforehand as I had hoped...
Don't worry about being able to sort anything out beforehand, other than where to meet someone on your first day- it will all become clear soon enough when you get there :smile:
Original post by noodles!
Don't worry about being able to sort anything out beforehand, other than where to meet someone on your first day- it will all become clear soon enough when you get there :smile:

I agree. Just make sure you can find the place and they will sort everything else for you when you arrive. your first day you'll probably have a tour and meet your department and other induction type things.
I seem to now be ill, I'm blaming a combination or tiredness and freshers
Had a bit of a cry tonight, I managed to last the first month tear free though, so I guess that's something!! Feel a bit overwhelmed and totally unprepared for going into school on Monday.
Reply 1591

Other than Teach First which is 6 weeks training at a uni and then working at the school, the only other option is a PGCE or BA hons in education.
there's also a SCITT but it's quite like a PGCE
At the moment you do and so you should! I would want someone university level educated in teaching as well as their subject teaching my children. Wouldn't you? You'll just have to suck it up for 9 months and then you'll be qualified, loads of people find the university side difficult but you've just got to get on with it I'm afraid.

Keep your eyes peeled in future though who knows what the next government initiative is going to be, I've heard things like 'training schools' being set up (you know like training hospitals) and a more GTP like initiative for teacher training overall so see where that goes.
Had a bit of a cry tonight, I managed to last the first month tear free though, so I guess that's something!! Feel a bit overwhelmed and totally unprepared for going into school on Monday.

What are you worried about with regards to going into school? Everyone has been overwhelmed at some point, I certainly was (and still am- had a cry in the loos on Wednesday thanks to some monstrous year 9s!)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/i
I lost count of the number of times I cried during my training year.
I only ever cried once because of a student though, and that was in my NQT year.
Reply 1596

Just think in a couple of years you'll know exactly what your doing! At the end it'll be worth it :smile:
I'd say Teach First is probably your best bet then.

Although some of the training takes place at university, it's slightly different. You have a 3-week residential course in your region, followed by a 3-week course at the University of Warwick. These take place in the summer holiday, so although you're on a university campus I imagine it's quite different to being there in term time.

After that you're straight into school in September, so it's definitely a less uni-based route overall.

Personally I'm very glad to be doing a PGCE not TeachFirst, and I think building up gradually to teaching, and getting to know lots of other people at uni so we can support one another is really important (though I'm really looking forwards to getting into my placement school in a couple of weeks!), but everyone is different and maybe TeachFirst would be better for you.

As an aside, I appreciate that you may have a good reason for your negativity towards university, particularly if you had a really bad experience during your undergraduate degree which has caused this anxiety you feel. But I hope you would be able to put this aside when talking to pupils about their future plans, as for many people university is a fantastic opportunity and I wouldn't want them to be put off by someone else's negative attitude.
Well week 5 is complete. I can't believe how fast this year is going. Been to my placement school twice now and don't start my official placement until a few weeks but I'm really excited by it all! Glad it's the weekend, need some serious catch up on sleep.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Have you thought about getting some Cognitive Behaviour Therapy? I have a few friends with various anxieties and they have both gone down this route with great success. Please don't drop out of your MSC! Keep going and let the university know about your troubles!

Does the Open university doe PGCEs for secondary subjects? Might be more useful? (They do: http:///www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/s16.htm )There is also universities which offer distance learning PGCEs with little contact time, how would something like that fair?

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending