The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, have to say that rubbish tv is one of my ways to switch off. My favourite thing atm is Robson Green's Extreme Fishing. It's not actually rubbish, it's really funny! I don't even like fishing but it makes me want to go!!

Also, I cannot stress enough how important it is to make time to do something you love that is really disconnected with teaching.
For me, it's weightlifting. It frees my mind and keeps me in shape so I can keep up with the kids. I sleep better, eat better and feel better. If I have to skip a training I feel stressed out.

You are a more effective worker if you have free time to rest and play, so don't work too hard. You need a balance.

What do you guys do to relax?
Reply 1941
I have choir, and bed time! I watch all the stuff my b/f won't usually let me watch in bed, as above it is all pretty much rubbish hah! Just been told by my professional mentor that I still work too much though! The choir thing seems to work though, it's something that's just for me and the breathing excersizes and warm ups don't half help you unwind! I imagine something like running dancing aerobics would be equally effective.
I'm part of a dancing school and attend 5 classes (ballet, tap, modern, acrobatics and singing) on a Saturday afternoon, so that makes sure I get a good break from thinking about work.

I always at least take a break from work whilst eating my dinner (normally we watch something on iPlayer for half an hour), and make sure I'm in bed by 11 at the latest so I'm well rested and can cope with the work.

Other than that, I cope by putting off anything non-urgent until the holidays. My house is an absolute tip at the moment (my boyfriend does things like washing the pots, but is powerless against the heaps of paper I leave all over the house!). The downside is that it leaves me with a lot to do in the holidays - this coming week I have 2 job interviews, a 5,000 word university assignment, and cleaning the house ready for an inspection by the estate agents...
Original post by xxmijxx
I have choir, and bed time! I watch all the stuff my b/f won't usually let me watch in bed, as above it is all pretty much rubbish hah! Just been told by my professional mentor that I still work too much though! The choir thing seems to work though, it's something that's just for me and the breathing excersizes and warm ups don't half help you unwind! I imagine something like running dancing aerobics would be equally effective.

I also joined a choir in my training year. It was actually an opera company and I ended up singing in an opera - so much fun! I miss singing, but now all my time is taken up with weightlifting training. I'll definitely go back to it one day, though.

Original post by myrtille
I'm part of a dancing school and attend 5 classes (ballet, tap, modern, acrobatics and singing) on a Saturday afternoon, so that makes sure I get a good break from thinking about work.

I always at least take a break from work whilst eating my dinner (normally we watch something on iPlayer for half an hour), and make sure I'm in bed by 11 at the latest so I'm well rested and can cope with the work.

Other than that, I cope by putting off anything non-urgent until the holidays. My house is an absolute tip at the moment (my boyfriend does things like washing the pots, but is powerless against the heaps of paper I leave all over the house!). The downside is that it leaves me with a lot to do in the holidays - this coming week I have 2 job interviews, a 5,000 word university assignment, and cleaning the house ready for an inspection by the estate agents...

You will have more time eventually. I think it's right to prioritise yourself over housework as long as you can cope with mess. Personally I get more stressed by it so I prefer little and often, but I understand your method as well :p:
I work in the evenings teaching EFL and I always find it really difficult to switch off.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
It's the laundry that I struggle with keeping up with. I don't do it during the week and then I have a HUGE pile on Saturday and never have enough drying space, let alone with sheets and towels too! I'm on my finally pair of knickers for the week and my daughter has no socks, just put the first load on!

Good luck myrtille with your interviews! I have one on Thursday and 2 days at uni this week so I'm practically broken up already in my mind!

Oh and I'm so knackered I go to bed at 9! On Fridays I sometimes go to bed at 8!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by StarBabyCat

Oh and I'm so knackered I go to bed at 9! On Fridays I sometimes go to bed at 8!!

My treat last night was to go to bed at 8.30 and to sleep in today until 7am!

Living on the edge!
Ditto this, my daughter always get me up at 7 and that's a lie in compared to 5:45 normal start-time! Although I do find it is so much easier to get up now the mornings are brighter.
Original post by balloon_parade
You can't do that unfortunately! At the end of an interview you will be asked "Are you a firm candidate?" If you say yes you are entering a verbal contract so basically, if they offer you the job you will say yes. If you say yes and then decline the job it is massively frowned upon and they will not be happy, especially as even getting short-listed is so hard at the moment.

It is a massive dilemma, especially if you have a couple of interviews near each other and the one you like best is second!

Here is TES thread with expert advice on this very topic: http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/650798.aspx

Sometimes you can ask the school to change the date - I went to a couple of interviews last year where some candidates had an interview the day before the set date as they had another one the next day.
Original post by SHABANA
Sometimes you can ask the school to change the date - I went to a couple of interviews last year where some candidates had an interview the day before the set date as they had another one the next day.

I would be very careful with this and only change the date if it was on the same day, if the schools are both in the same area then the other heads will know when they are interviewing, so if you've changed the date because you like the other one better, it could be obvious!
Original post by balloon_parade
I would be very careful with this and only change the date if it was on the same day, if the schools are both in the same area then the other heads will know when they are interviewing, so if you've changed the date because you like the other one better, it could be obvious!

When I was on placement the school was holding interviews. One candidate had her interview a day early as she had an interview the next day. She was then in contact with the head whilst on this other interview to let him know how it was going.
I secured a post this February, and when I was invited to interview they actually said that if I want I can bring the date forward if I have another interview (as they knew another local school had interviews on the same date).
Original post by SHABANA
When I was on placement the school was holding interviews. One candidate had her interview a day early as she had an interview the next day. She was then in contact with the head whilst on this other interview to let him know how it was going.
I secured a post this February, and when I was invited to interview they actually said that if I want I can bring the date forward if I have another interview (as they knew another local school had interviews on the same date).

Which is what I am saying, the original discussion was about the interviews being a week apart, you can probably only change the date to a day before or after if you had an interview clash. There are some horror stories on the TES forums about people lying about reasons for interview changes and then being caught out! Just making sure people are careful. If it's over a week apart then most of the time you've just got to go with it and see what happens.
Finally got my first application sent in - was allowed to apply late as the school I want to work in closed applications a day before I enquired about NQT recruitment... Hopefully I get a job there, I'm gonna be applying to the borough pool too and a few other local SEN schools.
Reply 1953
Reading this thread is comforting in a way, it's nice to hear from some fellow PGCE'rs! I can fully appreciate the need to unwind and have a bit of a rant/moan from time to time. Hence why I'm here!

....Although at the same time I'm wondering whether it's conducive reading this kind of stuff right before my final placement :wink:

I cannot believe I'm about to start my last eight weeks of placement. In just over two and a half months I could have QTS.

Providing everything goes well on this last placement of course. I'm very anxious at this moment in time. I feel a bit better having been in to the school this week to meet the class and all the staff. It's the youngest age range I've taught however (year 1), and I think the structure of the day will take some getting used to.

I think there's going to be a massive gear change on this placement. I just hope I'm ready for it. I know that I need to be, if I'm to be judged fit to be able to teach. It's just hard convincing myself that I am ready and capable. I finished my last placement with a '2' grade overall, so I'm hoping to maintain that in a different setting and with any luck, to improve. (I still kind of think it was a fluke....can you guess what my biggest weakness/flaw is?! Confidence issues....)

I guess it's just a case of waiting for Easter hols to be over so I can finally begin the last hurdle. Once I've taught a lesson or two and had that first observation by my AT, I'll know whether this school thinks I'm any good or a bit rubbish, and I can start from there.

Arghhhhhhhh.
So this is the last week of my 3 week Alternative Education Setting placement, in a school I literally had to beg to let me come in, and I've been off for two days with gastroenteritis. I was last ill at 3am and have to go 48 hours clear of vomiting or diarrhoea before I'm allowed back in school. Which takes me to 3am Friday - the school breaks up on Thursday.

I'm worried it will look really bad to the uni that I've had 5 days (I had to take a day off sick in the first week too) but I literally have been ill the whole time :sad:
The first few months of any job/ course are the most challenging.
Reply 1956
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
So this is the last week of my 3 week Alternative Education Setting placement, in a school I literally had to beg to let me come in, and I've been off for two days with gastroenteritis. I was last ill at 3am and have to go 48 hours clear of vomiting or diarrhoea before I'm allowed back in school. Which takes me to 3am Friday - the school breaks up on Thursday.

I'm worried it will look really bad to the uni that I've had 5 days (I had to take a day off sick in the first week too) but I literally have been ill the whole time :sad:

Don't worry, you can't help being sick and all schools will have the 48 hour rule.

They make themselves Socs very harsh on attendance but this is only to make it clear to people who might skip things without good reason that this is not acceptable. People like you who are actually ill and have no choice will not be penalised.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Reply 1957
Original post by StarBabyCat
It's the laundry that I struggle with keeping up with. I don't do it during the week and then I have a HUGE pile on Saturday and never have enough drying space, let alone with sheets and towels too! I'm on my finally pair of knickers for the week and my daughter has no socks, just put the first load on!

Tell me about it! I really really need a tumble drier, there's just not time to fit enough in!

How is everyone dealing with visiting schools before applying? There are several jobs I am interested in but I haven't had time to organise a visit. My uni has told us not to take visits during placement time but I know you pretty much have to visit in the schools eyes, plus I want to see the school, so what an I meant to do?! Does anyone visit after the children have left?

Xxx

Original post by kpwxx
Don't worry, you can't help being sick and all schools will have the 48 hour rule.

They make themselves Socs very harsh on attendance but this is only to make it clear to people who might skip things without good reason that this is not acceptable. People like you who are actually ill and have no choice will not be penalised.

Xxx

I rang in sick just before 8am, I hadn't even slept. They want me to go in tomorrow if I feel better, I haven't been ill since 7.30 so if their kids get ill it's not my fault. The woman in the office had that tone of voice where you just know she doesn't believe you :frown: I hate calling in sick...
Reply 1959
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
I rang in sick just before 8am, I hadn't even slept. They want me to go in tomorrow if I feel better, I haven't been ill since 7.30 so if their kids get ill it's not my fault. The woman in the office had that tone of voice where you just know she doesn't believe you :frown: I hate calling in sick...

Well yeah if you are told to go in and feel you can then do. It's odd they said to though!!!

Nearly everyone gets sick and can't go in at some point on the PGCE... Meeting lots of new kids + not enough sleep + stress mean it's pretty hard to avoid. Especially with this bad bug going round this year. All of my friends have had to take time off at some point including me, even though I've only been sick twice more since I was 11!!

What kind of setting is it?

Xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending