Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks this is my first post been looking about the forums for a while. I am seriously considering my options regarding studying medicine but coming up against a bit of brick wall with the ELB's in Northern Ireland who dont seem to be able to interpret the regulations. I was hoping maybe somebody here has a similar background to me and can shed some light on the funding issues!

Basically I started university in 2002 and did 2 years receiving funding as an old system student. I left after those 2 years without graduating and took up full time employment. Since then I have repaid the finance that I have received. The major issue is that nobody can definitely confirm if I am a current system student or and old system student. The NI regulations (which are the same as the English ones) define an old system student as-

"old system student” means an eligible student who—
    (a)began the current course before 1st September 2006 and is continuing on that course after 31st August 2010;
    (b)began the current course at the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise(25) before 1st September 2007 and who is continuing on that course after 31st August 2010;
    (c)is a gap year student in relation to the current course;
    (d)began the current course on or after 1st September 2006 at a relevant institution of higher education in the Republic of Ireland;
    (e)began the current course on or after 1st September 2006 where that course is an end-on course (other than one of the kind referred to in paragraph (c) of the definition of “end-on course” in this regulation) following on from—
    (i)a course that the student began before 1st September 2006; or
    (ii)a course that the student began before 1st September 2007 and in relation to which the student was a gap year student; or
    (f)began the current course on or after 1st September 2006 having had his status as an eligible student transferred to that course as a result of one or more transfers of that status by the Department pursuant to regulations made by the Department under Article 3 of the Order from a designated course in connection with which the Department determined the student to be an eligible student and which the student began—
    (i)before 1st September 2006; or
    (ii)before 1st September 2007 and in relation to which the student was a gap year student

The guide on studentfinanceni also gives some guidance-

Old system students are those who:
    – are continuing on a course that they started
    before 1st September 2006, or
    – transferred on to their current course from a
    course that they began before 1st September

There are some other parts to this which I know dont apply to me.

If I start a new course am I deemed as having transferred and as such an old system student? Or because I have left and worked for the intervening 6 years am I a current system student?

I appreciate that my entitlements may be affected (5+1-2= 4) because of the previous years aswell.

Sorry for the long winded first post but any help or insight would be very much appreciated!

John

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.