Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm getting a Mac soon and was wondering if there was any must-have software I should think of installing? I've already got MS Office.
    Also, what software comes pre-installed on the newest iMac (entry level)?

And do I really not need to bother installing antivirus or anti-malware? Should I get one just as a precaution or is there really no point?

Get Steam!

No, don't bother with antivirus.

ReputationRep:
      Spotify, Handbrake, Adium, VLC, Firefox are the ones that come to mind.

Edit: There is no need for anti-virus/malware on a Mac.

ReputationRep:
      I like Springy, as you can look in archives without extracting it all which can be useful. I prefer Google Chrome to safari.

I would also recommend getting an external harddrive so you can use Time Machine and super duper is good too. These are backup programs.

ReputationRep:
      adium and growl. also Quickboot if you are planning to install windows via bootcamp. these are all free.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ak137)
      adium and growl. also Quickboot if you are planning to install windows via bootcamp. these are all free.
      I would second both adium and growl, I forget that growl isn't something built into the computer - it's that useful. And adium has the awesome duck icon.

ReputationRep:
      Adium (Instant Messenger) Don't bother with MSN for mac it's terrible.
      Handbrake
      VLC Player.
      The infamous Flip Clock Screensaver.
      Parallels for when you want to run windows inside snow leopard
      Steam

just google mac software (:

oh and about the anti virus, i wouldn't bother, just be careful when pirating certain software, as a few months back Photoshop CS4 and iWork was riddled with a ''trojan''

I'd also get Movist as it handles some video formats a lot better than VLC (high definition MKVs especially).

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by FXX)
        I'd also get Movist as it handles some video formats a lot better than VLC (high definition MKVs especially).
        Got loads of 1080p mkv's and they work fine on my VLC....

Everything everyone said, but stick to Safari imo.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by DesignFreak)
        Adium (Instant Messenger) Don't bother with MSN for mac it's terrible.
        Handbrake
        VLC Player.
        The infamous Flip Clock Screensaver.
        Parallels for when you want to run windows inside snow leopard
        Steam

just google mac software (:

oh and about the anti virus, i wouldn't bother, just be careful when pirating certain software, as a few months back Photoshop CS4 and iWork was riddled with a ''trojan''
        i would get VM fusion instead of parallel though. My lecturer had problems with parallel and i've had no problems with my VM fusion.

ReputationRep:
        Firefox, Keynote, and Pages. Enjoy your new Mac!

ReputationRep:
        i'd personally just use ichat rather than adium. i prefer the way it handles things

other than that...
        vlc, handbrake, iplayer downloader (awesome program that lets you download .mp4s from the iplayer website), facebook notifications, perian

ReputationRep:
        Microsoft Windows 7

ReputationRep:
        Chronories is on the App store. Just search it. It's a great application for typing up a journal and tracking your Mac activity. Worth a purchase.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.