The Student Room Group

Masters chances :s :s :s HELP NEEDED! lol!

Poll

Where am I most likely to get an offer from?

Basically I'm a final year BSc Economics student at the University of Essex.

I know the university isn't rated highly amongst employers as such, but recent years have proved that the Economics department is very highly rated by other universities who tend to give a lot of Essex students offers to study there for postgraduate.

At the moment I'm sitting on 69.0 (82 in Econometrics, 75 in Microeconomics, 66 in Macroeconomics, 63 in Mathematical Economics, 63 in Organisation Management, 60 in Management of New Technology)

Plus I also had a first year score of 78.6 (92 in Maths, 90 in Econometrics, 67.2 in Intro to Economics, 65 in Economic History)

I also have tons of EC such as providing urban entertainment on campus for students, being a student warden and having been a volunteer for the on campus crisis-listening service, not forgetting the fact I'm a 1st year mentor for the Econ dept. Furthermore I have nearly 5 years of experience in part time retail (not as relevant but I have been able to observe the effects of the economic downturn on society).

I'm currently considering applying to the 'elite' for a masters programme.

I have already applied for the MSc Economics at Warwick (the dept. head over there is an ex-Essex lecturer so hopefully that should give me some advantage!)
but I'm also considering an application for MPhil Economics (Cambridge), MSc Economics (UCL), MSc Development Studies (LSE) and MSc Metals and Energy Finance (Imperial)...with Imperial being my dream university and course.

I just want to know what chances I have realistically and what my offer, should I receive one, would be for e.g. 2.1 or First

Also one potential problem is there is someone else on my course applying for the Imperial MSc and he has a score of 80.0 (Imperial only take 25 students per year, albeit they have told me the college entry requirement is a 2.2 but the course wants a 2.1 with substantial maths)

I may have overcomplicated what I am trying to say lol, but any constructive input would be appreciated!!!
Reply 1
You might want to try and aim higher than 69 buddy.
Reply 2
well obviously lol...I'm predicted a first anyway
Reduce your use of the word 'lol'. Then we'll talk.
Reply 4
*reluctantly reduces the use of 'lol'*...now can we talk :biggrin:
You have as good of a chance as anyone else.

I went from Reading university to Imperial with a mid/high 2:1.

It's do-able.
Reply 6
Also, in comparison to the universities I've named, where would Cass rank respectively?
Reply 7
I'd perhaps look more at 'Development Management' than Development Studies at the LSE (I'm studying the latter), as it's a bit more of an economics focus. Not much more though, and you can still take the same modules.
Reply 8
Original post by CalumAH
I'd perhaps look more at 'Development Management' than Development Studies at the LSE (I'm studying the latter), as it's a bit more of an economics focus. Not much more though, and you can still take the same modules.

I was looking at Dev. Mgmt too, I just thought the Studies programme would give me a more rounded education with History, Economics and Politics incorporated into one subject. BUT saying that the Management course is my 2nd choice (the £5,000 difference between the two courses heavily influenced my choice).

Quick question, what was your background/grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending