Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone else is taking this exam in January! Am in need of a bit of help with Frankenstein at the moment; I'm a resit applicant and am trying to teach myself this novel, so any help appreciated! If anyone is studying/has studied this, are you willing to share notes/websites? Anything regarding the story/characters/themes/context? I feel so unprepared

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bernii-xo)
    Hey! I'm a resit applicant aswell and I'm taking the AQA English Literature exam in January too! I'm reading Frankenstein atm, I've nearly finished it and its so interesting. I never properly read any of the books last year, hence why I'm re-sitting lol...

Are you reading Wuthering Heights and Dr Faustus too? And its the theme 'Elements of the Gothic'?

As for themes, story, characters and context, I'm still learning about context, but I'll sum up Frankenstein as its fresh in my memory! (if you can help me at all with Wuthering Heights?) lol btw the AS eng lit exam - did you study The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner and/or 2 poems? and what grade did you get in that exam? I'm resitting my AS english lit exam in January aswell :| but I've read The Great Gatsby and its really good

* In Frankenstein, Victor Frankenstein is the creator of the monster. 'Frankenstein' is usually mistaken for the monster, when in fact, Frankenstein is the creator and the monster is simply referred to as 'The Monster'.

Anyway, 'Frankenstein' begins with the primary narrator; Robert Walton (Victor's friend), who, in his letters, quotes Victor Frankenstein’s first-person narrative at length. The novel begins with 4 letters from Robert Walton addressed to Mrs Saville (im not quite sure who she is, I need to revise the book properly).

Then, the narrative changes at Chapter 1, when the novel falls into the hands of Victor Frankenstein. He talks a lot about nature and knowledge, 2 key themes in the novel. He describes his expanding knowledge as he attends university and begins a pursuit to unlocking the mystery of creating life. He eventually discovers how to create another life form through his experiments alone, and thus the monster is created. (Chapter 5 his experiment was completed)

In Chapter 10, after Victor has been traumatised by his ghastly creation (he constantly calls the monster' Abhorred Devil'), the monster begins his speech (Victor quotes the monster’s first-person narrative) in Chapter 11, which lasts up until Chapter 17. His heartfelt words of rejection in society gain the readers sympathy and he expresses his sheer loneliness. As the reader, we can identify alienation within the monster, and feel sorry for him especially because we can not see how grotesque his appearance is.

After the monsters speech... it makes sense why the monster killed Victor's son, William, because of his grudge held towards his creator. Victor bestowed life onto the monster and the monster's life has been nothing but misery; therefore, he plans to seek revenge. However, he has a conversation with Victor, and promises that he will not harm anyone - on one condition - if Victor will create a female monster companion for him to occupy him and cure his loneliness, as no human on earth will accept him for who he is.

That's where I'm up to! I know basically what happens but I'm reading it thoroughly and also need to identify Gothic elements within the text and learn quotes/context. Hope I helped!
    Cheers for replying I'm doing Dracula, Macbeth and either Pardoner's Tale or Frankenstein. Elements of the Gothic, yes! I did do Great Gatsby last year Got an A Cheers for the summary I would help with WH, but I read it so long ago and didn't finish it, so I can't remember any of it I've ordered York notes for all my books, so hopefully they'll help a great deal! I don't suppose you happen to have any past exams/practice questions do you? I've trawled the internet and found a couple, but I need more!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.