Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I need some advice about how to talk to my housemate about cleanliness and his roles of responsibility. This particular housemate is a Fresher who is quite a nice guy. We get on well with him. My other housemates and myself are second years and he moved in with us at the beginning of this academic year. However, he's a little naive about how much he needs to pull his weight with cleaning etc, but mostly, how he needs to take care of his own washing up, and empty beer cans that simply need to be thrown in the recycling bin out in the back garden. I leave kind notes to all housemates to rememeber to do things like that, but he doesn't ever seem to see them, or act upon them. The biggest issue I really discovered last night; he cuts raw chicken on a chopping board when he's making dinner ... but he leaves it, knife and all, on the side, and doesn't clean it up, or even just wipe it. He leaves it a few days, maybe even a week, before he brings himself to do his (then mountainous) washing up. Friends who come over always tell us how messy our kitchen is - it's really not a good feeling.

How do I approach him about this, without seeming confrontational or threatening? Something has to be said. My housemate did his washing up last night because she was sick looking at all his stuff, and I don't want her to feel oblidged to clean up after him. It starts of bad habits ... What should I say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradigm_of)
    Hello all,

I need some advice about how to talk to my housemate about cleanliness and his roles of responsibility. This particular housemate is a Fresher who is quite a nice guy. We get on well with him. My other housemates and myself are second years and he moved in with us at the beginning of this academic year. However, he's a little naive about how much he needs to pull his weight with cleaning etc, but mostly, how he needs to take care of his own washing up, and empty beer cans that simply need to be thrown in the recycling bin out in the back garden. I leave kind notes to all housemates to rememeber to do things like that, but he doesn't ever seem to see them, or act upon them. The biggest issue I really discovered last night; he cuts raw chicken on a chopping board when he's making dinner ... but he leaves it, knife and all, on the side, and doesn't clean it up, or even just wipe it. He leaves it a few days, maybe even a week, before he brings himself to do his (then mountainous) washing up. Friends who come over always tell us how messy our kitchen is - it's really not a good feeling.

How do I approach him about this, without seeming confrontational or threatening? Something has to be said. My housemate did his washing up last night because she was sick looking at all his stuff, and I don't want her to feel oblidged to clean up after him. It starts of bad habits ... What should I say?
    I think the best thing for you to do would be to call a 'house meeting', to basically go over the rules and what needs to be done in terms of hygeine and cleanliness, although try not to mention any names so as not to cause embarrassment, he'll know who you are talking about. for example you could say something such as 'I came into the kitchen last night to find raw chicken juice all over the worktop which is really dangerous'.

You could also maybe set up a rota of who does what and when in the flat?

ReputationRep:
    This is a really hard one! Some people just tend to have a higher tolerance to mess than others. Maybe he doesn't know he's in the wrong!

I think a flat meeting is a great idea as suggested by Elizabeth. One rule you could lay down is a 24 hour rule! In my old flat we had a rule where you only use your own things and if they are not clean after 24 hours they either get thrown out (meaning he will have to buy more cooking equipment) or put outside his door (which is a clear sign that he is not pulling his weight). I hope this helps!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.