Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here is a very basic question. How are you preparing?

Discuss?

ReputationRep:
    Frantically trying to re-read all the books mentioned on my personal statement and by trying I mean procrastinating/watching x factor. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lookatmycoolname)
    Frantically trying to re-read all the books mentioned on my personal statement and by trying I mean procrastinating/watching x factor. You?
    I'm concerned. I've re-read two of the novels I put on my personal statement, but two I can't get hold of so I'm quite worried about that. How well do you think that they'll expect us to know the books?

ReputationRep:
    Try not to worry! You could remind yourself of the plots from the internet? I don't think they'll ask questions which are too specific, but maybe ask us to compare different works we've mentioned or ask us about themes etc. Which novels were they out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    Not very much, I left the books I meant to skim through on the train :p: so I'm just looking up literary stuff on the internet. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, English interviewees! I think the best way you can prepare is to know your personal statement texts as well as possible (and to read through the essay you submitted), but apart from that, there's not much you can do. You can't predict the questions they'll ask.

Also, you'll find that you can kind of direct the way the interview goes, to some extent. I didn't mention Wuthering Heights at all in my personal statement, but I brought it up in the interview (can't remember what it was in relation to), and the interviewer started asking me questions about it. As a result, I think at least half of my first interview was just on Wuthering Heights. So keep that in mind. Unless the interviewer's really awful, you're not going to get asked about something you know absolutely nothing about. And even there are a few dead ends where you just can't think of anything to say (I completely failed to answer a question about religion in Middlemarch), it's not the end of the world.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.