Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are 4 good A levels for a psychology degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I am currently apply for colleges and was wondering what A levels uni's like for a psychology degree..? :confused:
    I was conidering 4 out of maths, german, biology, psychology, english lit and history. I am predicted A and A* in all these so which one will a good GSCE be sufficent for ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetDreams<3)
    Hey,
    I am currently apply for colleges and was wondering what A levels uni's like for a psychology degree..? :confused:
    I was conidering 4 out of maths, german, biology, psychology, english lit and history. I am predicted A and A* in all these so which one will a good GSCE be sufficent for ?
    Im applying for psychology at uni next year.
    I wouldnt say any are particularly good for psychology, as long as you have knowledge of psychology id say your alright. You do need to be good at maths though, but thats just normal maths..like I wouldnt say doing maths at A level would make you better for psychology.

I do, Psychology, sociology and english language. I dropped business studies after the first year.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Biology, Psychology, German/English Lit/History

ReputationRep:
    Statistics, English Language, Chemistry & Biology.. most unis don't require that you have A Level Psychology! Infact if anything, I'm finding it frustrating that I already know most of what we're being told, as I did tonnes of extra reading at A Level, geeking it up!

ReputationRep:
    German, maths, psychology, biology.
    uni's love languages, like maths for every course, biology is a useful science and psychology is... well, it's psychology.
    I'd suggest maybe take a fifth essay subject (I don't know how essay intensive uni psychology is) - history or english lit - and drop it at a2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    German, maths, psychology, biology.
    uni's love languages, like maths for every course, biology is a useful science and psychology is... well, it's psychology.
    I'd suggest maybe take a fifth essay subject (I don't know how essay intensive uni psychology is) - history or english lit - and drop it at a2.
    A second language is of little or no use unless you want to study abroad for a year, or you wish to go into business etc.

Excellent essay skills are paramount. Even when you're not writing essays, you're writing up research/proposals/reports/presentations. It would be quite detrimental to your developing writing skills to omit this kind of A level, or to drop the subject at AS.

A good mix would be: Psychology, Biology, Maths/Statistics, English Literature/History/Classics/Any other Essay subject.

Having said that, there's no real definite mix you need. Not having Psychology would put you at an extreme disadvantage, whilst not having an essay subject would put you at a minor-to-great disadvantage, depending on how developed your writing skills are.

Statistics will be taught from scratch, so Maths/Statistics at A level would serve merely to make your first and second years more manageable.

Biology would be a wise choice, again making the work more understandable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    A second language is of little or no use unless you want to study abroad for a year, or you wish to go into business etc.
    I didn't say it would be useful. I said uni's would like it. Which is undeniable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I didn't say it would be useful. I said uni's would like it. Which is undeniable.
    What makes you think Psychology admissions would like it? They'd much rather the student had another science rather than a language.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    i'm not and will not be doing psychology at uni, but i am doing it at AS Level atm. i saw someone recommended an essay subject like history/english lit, but from what i can tell, AS Psychology is quite essay heavy, well, homework wise anyway. wouldn't that suffice the essay needs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie:))
    i'm not and will not be doing psychology at uni, but i am doing it at AS Level atm. i saw someone recommended an essay subject like history/english lit, but from what i can tell, AS Psychology is quite essay heavy, well, homework wise anyway. wouldn't that suffice the essay needs?
    Psychology A Level essays are marked on an information basis and your analysis of theory/research. You are not taught how to expand your written communication and perfect your written argument technique (for this, a subject like Critical Thinking can be useful too), among other things like structure.

As someone who has an A Level in Psychology and is currently in my second year of a Psychology degree, I would argue that the Psychology A level is not 'essay based' in the way that people mean. The degree level essays are a huge leap above that, you are required to write in a highly structured, perfectly argued manner. The structure of the essay carries a lot of marks.

Then again if you're naturally good at writing essays/have good structure you might not need to do a lot more work once you get to uni. I do have friends who didn't do essay based A levels who struggle though.

ReputationRep:
    I did Business psychology and law (and sociology at as but i dropped it), in hindsight I'd probably have done psychology, biology, statistics and another depending on what type of psychology you want to do e.g. p.e. if your interested in sport psychology, etc

ReputationRep:
    My good friend did ICT, Psychology, English Language and Philsophy & Ethics at A-levels (dropping ICT for A2) and they're currently studying Psychology at Durham University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raari)
    I wouldnt say any are particularly good for psychology, as long as you have knowledge of psychology id say your alright. You do need to be good at maths though, but thats just normal maths..like I wouldnt say doing maths at A level would make you better for psychology.

I do, Psychology, sociology and english language. I dropped business studies after the first year.

Good luck!
    To be fair, the only decent Uni you've applied to is Sheffield, so your opinion is kind of redundant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refunder)
    To be fair, the only decent Uni you've applied to is Sheffield, so your opinion is kind of redundant.
    I'd say lincolns the best out of them to be fair. Considering what theyre asking for..
    lincoln - 300 ucas points
    sheffield - AAB
    sheffield hallam - 280
    southampton solent - 240
    york st john - 240.

Also, to be fair, im probably not the smartest tool in the box..so personally for me applying to oxbridge would be no good.

What does this have to do with the question anyway?
    This is in my opinion...I did psychology at both gcse and a level, so im barely deprived of knowledge on the subject..even if I havent started the degree yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raari)
    Wrong. :rolleyes: Wait until you're doing the degree and you'll see the level of statistics you're working at.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology A Level essays are marked on an information basis and your analysis of theory/research. You are not taught how to expand your written communication and perfect your written argument technique (for this, a subject like Critical Thinking can be useful too), among other things like structure.

As someone who has an A Level in Psychology and is currently in my second year of a Psychology degree, I would argue that the Psychology A level is not 'essay based' in the way that people mean. The degree level essays are a huge leap above that, you are required to write in a highly structured, perfectly argued manner. The structure of the essay carries a lot of marks.

Then again if you're naturally good at writing essays/have good structure you might not need to do a lot more work once you get to uni. I do have friends who didn't do essay based A levels who struggle though.
    I'd agree with this. I studied English literature to AS and History A2, and I'd say that calling Psych A Level 'essay-based' is a stretch to say the least. I had to unteach myself everything I knew about good essay writing to write 'good' essays for Psych A Level.

Saying that, it made life quite easy because come exam time I didn't have to worry about structure/style/delivery and all the jazz associated with good writing. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. :rolleyes: Wait until you're doing the degree and you'll see the level of statistics you're working at.
    Yeah, I understand theres statistics, maths and biology in psychology degrees. Ive been to 4/5 open days to the universities ive applied to..and ive spoken to them about the degrees. But no course is the same at any university. One psychology course can differ from another psychology course.

My point was, that it isnt exactly essential to do say..maths, stats and biology at A level, just to help you with your psychology degree. You can learn those parts within psychology, its not exactly essential that theyre done seperatley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raari)
    Yeah, I understand theres statistics, maths and biology in psychology degrees. Ive been to 4/5 open days to the universities ive applied to..and ive spoken to them about the degrees. But no course is the same at any university. One psychology course can differ from another psychology course.

My point was, that it isnt exactly essential to do say..maths, stats and biology at A level, just to help you with your psychology degree. You can learn those parts within psychology, its not exactly essential that theyre done seperatley.
    There are statistics and biology yes, more so statistics.
    You said a Maths A level wouldn't put you in a better position for the degree. It would (provided you study statistics). Of course it's not essential. I didn't do it my self. The OP is however, asking for what A levels are good for a Psychology degree.

All decent Psychology degrees will contain high level statistics.

ReputationRep:
    Without a DOUBT Psychology, Biology, and Maths. English Language was really helpful too (language acquisition- relation to feral children etc).

EDIT: Applied for Psych this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetDreams<3)
    Hey,
    Definitely take either Maths or Biology or both, if you enjoy and can do well in them. I sent my application in October, and I found that some courses I couldn't apply to because I didn't have one or more of the recommended physical sciences at A level (then again, I would have avoided these courses anyway. It's just nice to have more options I suppose).

As you probably already know, psychology A level is not a prerequisite for the degree. I would highly recommend taking it anyway though, besides giving you a general grounding, it will push you onto further reading and make writing your PS a lot easier. It's a good way to get a feel for whether the subject is right for you, too.

After all this, you are pretty much free to pick what you want. I do English lit and love it; it's not for everybody though. You've got to have more of a reason than "I love reading books" to enjoy it, I think. That and history are both very respected subjects and both will help with psychology in the way of shared skills, links you can make etc.

Other subjects you may be interested in are philosophy, sociology and economics. Philosophical ideas, issues and arguments form an important part of psychology and the different ways of thinking encouraged in philosophy students make for very interesting comparisons/connections/cross-referencing between the two fields. There is a lot of essay writing in psychology besides scientific methods, memorising case studies and so on; therefore an essay-based, argument-laiden subject like philosophy is perfect. At some unis such as Oxford you can combine both Psych and Phil, and some unis like Sussex have Philosophy of Psych modules and similar. Sociology is also a life/social science and may help you view psychological issues in a macrocosmic(sic) way (this is what I'm presuming, since I have never really come into contact with sociology). Again you can combine Psych with Soc at some unis. Lastly, psychology feeds into economics quite a bit in the forms of consumer/business confidence, behavioural theories of the firm etc, but not so much vice versa. The state of the economy, financial matters and socioeconomic status do have some bearing on human psychology however, so there's something. I believe you can study some mixture of the two at uni, not sure what the courses are called (you'd have to look that one up).

Why not take up all those you are interested in, as many as your school will allow, so you can get a real feel of each one? Then you can drop them accordingly I wish someone had told me this when I was in lower sixth.. Or just talk to a load of sixth formers doing the subjects in question. It may be you really want to do History, but the teachers are useless, in which case, you could substitute for Philosophy. Bottom line is: do what you enjoy and are good at, never ignore your gut instincts and work your bloody arse off!

God what a long post. Hope it all helps~~

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.