Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm aware this is current students but I'm looking for a hasty response and I guess people already at Durham will have the best idea so answers would be appreciated, thanks.

I'm having issues choosing which college to apply to (I know I've left it late to apply ) because from the descriptions in prospectus and so on quite a few seem appealing. If you leave it as 'open' do the department or whoever try to assign you a college that they think will suit you according to reference, PS etc or do they just fit you in where there's room basically?

Also, do you get a room at 'random' or is it first come first served in terms of applying for them because although it wouldn't be the end of the world I'm not keen on sharing a room, would just want my own space.

Once you are given an offer at a particular college is there any chance to swap at all or is it final?

This may seem like a silly question but I'm genuinely not sure, the only self catering college in Durham City according to prospectus is Josephine Butler, in a catering college are you not encouraged to cook your own food at all or is the option to cook your own available but at the same time you have the college cooked food available at lunch and dinner?

Also, where can I find out how far the colleges are from the city center and so on?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm sorry I didn't see your message before, but maybe a reply will still be of some use.

As far as I am aware they put you wherever there is room if you do an open application - you can therefore basically eliminate a chance at some colleges, such as Castle, since they never have places left.

You fill out an accommodation form on which you can state your interests and such and whether you'd mind sharing. Taking my College (Mary's) as an example - you switch rooms each 3 terms, so you are likely to share for 1 term. Some Colleges don't have you switch rooms at all however. You can also get a concession if you have specific reasons for not sharing, or needing an en-suite, etc. (though mind it can really piss others off if they find our you exaggerated a bit to get it haha!).

As far as I am aware you can still swap Colleges, but it is not easy - Durham's administrative system is hell to deal with so I wouldn't bother. Also obviously again, there won't be many Colleges to choose from anyway due to open spaces.

I think Cuths has some self-catering options too. At most Colleges you will have access to a pantry anyway - some better than others (e.g. with or without oven, etc.). You REALLY don't want to pay for College food if you don't want to eat it though - it's bloody expensive. Some Colleges also have Toastie Bars, in case the food sucked and you're still hungry.

You can easily find a map of Durham with the Colleges on it (keeping in mind the centre is basically the Cathedral - and the other important location is the science site/main library): http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/accommoda...ing/locations/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.