Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I've noticed many threads on here with mention of schoolteachers they dislike, I've never heard any mention of disliked university lecturers or tutors. When lecturers are mentioned, they appear to be only ever talked about positively.
    So, I'm endeavouring to find out if any of you out there have had negative experiences with university staff. If this is the case, then why is it?

ReputationRep:
    some of them are retarded and whats the point in wasting time trying to hate i just dont go to the lecture simple
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    As I said on a different thread, my tutor said I was the most interfering student he'd ever taught in a 30+ year, transatlantic lecturing career :awesome:

I put it down as my greatest achievement in the year book :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I dont really like my multivariate analysis lecture.... he tends to spend ages talking about the easy stuff and then skips over the hard stuff really fast. Also whe you ask him a question he never knows the answer - like, someone asked him "whats the difference between a qq and pp plot" and he said, "they're basicaly the same with some differences" "yes but what are the differences" "they are mainly the same, only a few differences" "right...."

ReputationRep:
    Most of the lecturers I have are foreign and it's hard to understand what they are saying a lot of the time.

One of them basically just stands there reading the powerpoint slides and doesn't really explain anything. We've been doing a "Web Services" module for about 8-9 weeks and I'm pretty sure she hasn't actually given us a proper definition of Web Services yet.

ReputationRep:
    Because going to university is a deliberate choice to study something we actually like, and we find we have better things to do than ***** at length about lecturers we don't like (or attend their lectures :P). Also schoolteachers are given teacher training while lecturers aren't so they've got less of an excuse to be unable to teach.

Isn't uni a lot more independent study too? If I don't understand something I tend to go and read it up, while at school I would have a massive ***** about how rubbish the teacher was which I now realise is a massive mistake on my part.

ReputationRep:
    I got lucky I guess with mine with the expection of one woman who comes in to teach some microbes lectures I do.

The Vertebrate Bio lectures I have 1 constant lecture which is really good for me and shes really nice, Ecosystems lectures the guy we have is amazing and has made knowing and how to understand stats and how to understand a Ttest and Annova really easily for everyone. Everyone cheered for him, not bad for saying he's a new lecture this year.

The research methods the women are good but its gone too fast for me, but I always struggle anything stats/maths related. I envy those who understand maths easily

ReputationRep:
    One of my lecturers told me that she didn't like my accent so i could I please stop speaking that way! Needless to say she was not my favourite lecturer.

ReputationRep:
    I get a few people in my lectures constantly whining throughout it "what's this **** going on about now ffs", "I don't understand this **** at all...this lecturer is so ****". :sigh:

But I think lecturers are easier to get on with because they see you as an adult rather than someone of inferior intelligence/experience.
    It was the same in my old school...the only teachers who got hated on were the ones who shouted and treated the class like they were a bunch of lazy teenagers rather than people who actually wanted to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    I dont really like my multivariate analysis lecture.... he tends to spend ages talking about the easy stuff and then skips over the hard stuff really fast. Also whe you ask him a question he never knows the answer - like, someone asked him "whats the difference between a qq and pp plot" and he said, "they're basicaly the same with some differences" "yes but what are the differences" "they are mainly the same, only a few differences" "right...."
    wow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minthew!)
    One of my lecturers told me that she didn't like my accent so i could I please stop speaking that way! Needless to say she was not my favourite lecturer.
    What? Are they permitted to say such things. How mean of her!

ReputationRep:
    i have one lecturer who just reads off of the powerpoint, and another who goes off on complete random tangents but i dont really dislike them. just makes them harder to understand!!

ReputationRep:
    I got very luck with mine, I must say.

ReputationRep:
    I take 4 modules this term. One of the dudes just copies out the online lecture notes onto the board so it's pointless turning up. The second dude is foreign and very hard to understand although his written notes aren't too bad. The 3rd guy is foreign, hard to understand, and his written notes are freaking horrible - luckily his online notes are far better. The 4th guy doesn't know what he's doing half the time and spends most of the lessons waffling. I don't dislike any of them, I just think their lecture styles are rather lacking.

ReputationRep:
    I really dislike all of my lecturers, but the other people in my lectures seem to love them. I think that's one of the things that makes me hate them more to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    My undergrad lecturer for a Renaissance Stage module was a cow and one of the worst lecturers I had. She had a 'I'm right and you will ALWAYS be wrong' attitude which didn't help. My dissertation supervisor was awful - didn't listen to my ideas and thought only his suggestions were worth listening to, never mind the fact that it was MY dissertation. I ended up working on the dissertation alone and still got a decent mark.

ReputationRep:
    It's different though isn't it. At school, not only are you younger so hence more immature, but there is a sort of "us against them" vibe, where teachers are not on your side, and are there to be nasty and give you homework. But at uni there's isn't really much a lecturer can do to make you hate them. They don't really shout at you (although one got mad and swore at me once lolz) or "care" (for lack of a better word) as much about your individual work, so if you don't hand something in they are unlikely to call you to their office etc. I see myself now at uni as an adult working with other adults (not that I behave like an adult, but neither do some lecturers xD), and I think thats how lecturers see us (although in sixth form this is still how I saw myself, yet the teachers didnt...).

ReputationRep:
    I don't like 2 of the... 12 lecturers I've had so far.

One guy, I don't know why, I just really don't like him. He just gives off a vibe a really don't like.
    The other one, she just over-enunciated everything, and it got really annoying after 5 or so lectures. It's ok to put emphasis on important bits, but not every bloody sentence you speak!

ReputationRep:
    Some of my lecturers are downright miserable. It's like god, crack a smile it won't kill you!!

ReputationRep:
    Most of my lecturers are pretty awesome

We do have some old guy who keeps forgetting what he's saying so we never really learn anything other than 'And this topic relates well to the fundamental issues raised in...raised in...in...in...er...um...yes.' I wouldn't say I dislike him as such as he does provide some lulz but it's pretty much pointless going to his lectures. :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.