Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do these projects involve you doing?

ReputationRep:
    building

ReputationRep:
    At my university, the Civil's have built bridges and a platform so far out of Balsa wood.
    But they have to do calculations to get the correct loads and stuff like that on point.

ReputationRep:
    for my first year, we built a bridge out of balsa wood. this semester (year two), we've built a much bigger steel bridge.

ReputationRep:
    Projects for me included: building a miniature bridge out of steel and aluminium to carry a particular load, surveying course, a few more group creative projects which involved coming up with a building and doing some of the structural calcs on them.

We also had the opportunity to do a Constructionarium project - not all unis do it but if you do it's great.

Then finally the fourth year project which is the big one and you can do it on what you want - experiments to test a theory, something computational, designing something, some people I know even did projects abroad related to development.

Obviously with civil it isn't really feasible to actually go out and build something for a project (except for Constructionarium) which is why a lot of projects and labs are based on scaled down versions or are theoretical.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.