very confusing question

Watch
cooldudeman
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
please help me on this:

the diagram (Name:  curveABC.png
Views: 304
Size:  7.4 KB) shows part of the curve, y=x^2 + 5. the point A has coordinates (1,6). the point B has coordinates(a,a+5) where a is a constant greater than 1. the point C is on the curve between A and B.

i) find by differentiation the value of the gradient of the curve at the point A.
i was able to do this part only. my answer was '2'.

ii) the line segment joining the points A and B has gradient '2.3'. find the value of a.

iii) state a possible value for the gradient of the line segment joining the points A and C.
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cooldudeman)
please help me on this:

the diagram (Name:  curveABC.png
Views: 304
Size:  7.4 KB) shows part of the curve, y=x^2 + 5. the point A has coordinates (1,6). the point B has coordinates(a,a+5) where a is a constant greater than 1. the point C is on the curve between A and B.

i) find by differentiation the value of the gradient of the curve at the point A.
i was able to do this part only. my answer was '2'.

ii) the line segment joining the points A and B has gradient '2.3'. find the value of a.

iii) state a possible value for the gradient of the line segment joining the points A and C.
For (ii) When you're looking for the gradient of a line between two points (x_1,y_1), (x_2,y_2), the gradient m = \frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}.
For (iii) Think about what happens to the line segment as B moves down the curve towards A. Is the gradient getting more steep or less steep? Give an answer accordingly.
cooldudeman
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
For (ii) When you're looking for the gradient of a line between two points (x_1,y_1), (x_2,y_2), the gradient m = \frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}.
For (iii) Think about what happens to the line segment as B moves down the curve towards A. Is the gradient getting more steep or less steep? Give an answer accordingly.
for ii, i substituted the values from the graph.
(a^2 +5-6)/a-1
a^2 -1/a -1
a+1=2.3
a=1.3
am i correct?

but for iii, i still dont get it. it would get less steep and the gradient would decrese but i dont know how to get an exact value... can the answer be in an inequalitie?
carakaur
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cooldudeman)
for ii, i substituted the values from the graph.
(a^2 +5-6)/a-1
a^2 -1/a -1
a+1=2.3
a=1.3
am i correct?

but for iii, i still dont get it. it would get less steep and the gradient would decrese but i dont know how to get an exact value... can the answer be in an inequalitie?
im doing this right now lol did you figure it out i need the answer
davros
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by carakaur)
im doing this right now lol did you figure it out i need the answer
This thread is 10 years old and the poster you've quoted hasn't been online since 2018 so it might be worth starting your own thread for this question with whatever working you've done so far
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.54%
Note taking apps (6)
2.44%
Flashcards (48)
19.51%
Revision guides (15)
6.1%
Past papers (116)
47.15%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed