Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much money should i spend on my bf at christmas? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been going out with my boyfriend for just over 2 years, its christmas time.

He usually spends quite abit of money on me for bdays etc. he spent £100 on my last bday, i want to get him something he'll actually like this time, thing is i'm skint. Sounds cheeky, but whats the min i can spend on his present without looking cheap?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just get each other things you'll actually like rather than matching prices?

ReputationRep:
    Just find things he'd like. It's not monetary value that matters.

Hint though: if you're on a tight budget, a t-shirt, box of chocolate, book and DVD, for a random example, is a better bet than one thing that's expensive. IMO.

ReputationRep:
    He's got expensive taste.

ReputationRep:
    The same as previous years but tell him you don't want him to spend much on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stranded-At-The-Drive-In)
    I've been going out with my boyfriend for just over 2 years, its christmas time.

He usually spends quite abit of money on me for bdays etc. he spent £100 on my last bday, i want to get him something he'll actually like this time, thing is i'm skint. Sounds cheeky, but whats the min i can spend on his present without looking cheap?
    Personally, if it was me, I wouldn't expect much, but surely if you've been going out for two years you could talk to him about you being strapped for cash, and maybe you could get him something that either isn't that expensive or you could buy him something reasonably expensive a bit later on when your loan goes in, or when you've worked a few more shifts etc?

ReputationRep:
    Knowing that Christmas is coming up, he has expensive taste and he usually spends about £100 on you, why didn't you save a roughly similar amount so that you didn't have to struggle to buy him a present?!

ReputationRep:
    Blowjobs are free.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend has a good job and thus vastly more money than me, so he tends to spend lots on presents for me.

I've got no money, what with studenthood and all, so I've told him that if he's lucky he'll get a book. I'm thinking of something a bit more than that, but £20's the kind of money I'm thinking of out of my £60 total christmas presents budget.

ReputationRep:
    don't get him a present, take him on a day out or something?

dnno how small your budget is but you could offer to take him to a gig (i've seen a couple of decent just not particularly famous bands for a couple of pound), and to dinner somewhere alright, again i've had dinners that came to less than £25 between us and have been really nice.

or a day out somewhere he likes, make an effort so a monetary value can't be put on it. i sound cheesy :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeSocks)
    Knowing that Christmas is coming up, he has expensive taste and he usually spends about £100 on you, why didn't you save a roughly similar amount so that you didn't have to struggle to buy him a present?!
    Exactly. Anybody can save £100. It's not hard. But it doesn't matter now...

You really can't ask us what to get him. We're just going to say general things. If you're on a budget, you're going to have to get something that means something to him that isn't too expensive. Two years of dating should give you a decent idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stranded-At-The-Drive-In)

Homemade gifts are always good, cheap and personal!

http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/ - this inspired me to make a giant animal biscuit =]

Reallu, homemade is the way forward. You could even suggest you both just give a homemade gift, then he wont be spending loads of money either

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conway!)

dnno how small your budget is but you could offer to take him to a gig (i've seen a couple of decent just not particularly famous bands for a couple of pound), and to dinner somewhere alright, again i've had dinners that came to less than £25 between us and have been really nice.

or a day out somewhere he likes, make an effort so a monetary value can't be put on it. i sound cheesy :p:
    Thats not a bad idea actually...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiani-ani-on)
    Homemade gifts are always good, cheap and personal!

http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/ - this inspired me to make a giant animal biscuit =]

Reallu, homemade is the way forward. You could even suggest you both just give a homemade gift, then he wont be spending loads of money either

xx
    Another good idea...

You deserve to get dumped if you spend less than £200m, by the way. Start thinking - I suggest a house, and maybe a Lamborghini.

Or alternatively get something open-ended, like a voucher for a track day or something - my brother and I gave my Dad a voucher for his birthday which got him an hour's professionally supervised 4x4 off-roading, he loved it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by conway!)

Taking him out to dinner is a good idea, but he doesn't really like gig type music.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FattyInNeed)
      Blowjobs are free.
      No.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by OrangeSocks)
      Becuase im a student, i have barely enough money to pay the rent and food, i can't possibly save any money.

ReputationRep:
      A penknife or a Zippo - I can't imagine any guy who wouldn't want something as manly and useful as a knife, or as fire starting and Marlon Brando as a Zippo.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by oscarwildelike)
      A penknife or a Zippo - I can't imagine any guy who wouldn't want something as manly and useful as a knife, or as fire starting and Marlon Brando as a Zippo.
      Second that. You can't go wrong with a mini swiss army knife. Or a decent corkscrew. Something like that, that he'll find useful.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.