Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I have a quick question.

I'm just finishing an internship with an MP, and looking for my next one. The MP has already given me a reference, on his letterhead and signed, for me to show to any potential employers. I'm in the process of getting a reference from one of my university lecturers, but theyre being a bit funny about it. The guy in particular never liked me that much, but is pretty much the only person I can ask as my other tutor has moved to Palestine and is pretty much incommunicado. The thing is, can I reasonably ask for a similar letter of reference from this tutor, or am I being unreasonable? he keeps asking for the job details, and while i'm applying for quite a number of positions and it would be pretty unfeasabile to give him each and every email address. Surely this way is easier, even if he does seem to want to keep the contents of this reference from me...

Anybody been in a similar situation? Am I being naive/overreacting to this? (sorry it wasnt as short as I thought)
    xx
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by xeastra)
    Hello
    I have a quick question.

I'm just finishing an internship with an MP, and looking for my next one. The MP has already given me a reference, on his letterhead and signed, for me to show to any potential employers. I'm in the process of getting a reference from one of my university lecturers, but theyre being a bit funny about it. The guy in particular never liked me that much, but is pretty much the only person I can ask as my other tutor has moved to Palestine and is pretty much incommunicado. The thing is, can I reasonably ask for a similar letter of reference from this tutor, or am I being unreasonable? he keeps asking for the job details, and while i'm applying for quite a number of positions and it would be pretty unfeasabile to give him each and every email address. Surely this way is easier, even if he does seem to want to keep the contents of this reference from me...

Anybody been in a similar situation? Am I being naive/overreacting to this? (sorry it wasnt as short as I thought)
    xx
    The tutor is quite correct and is doing their best for you. A pre-written letter has limited use, it needs must be generic because it cannot be tailored to a specific role. As politely as you can, you should always ask if you can ask for a reference when needed for a specific job from a potential referee, rather than accept a pre-written letter.

Nowadays you rarely go into a job armed with pre-written letters. It is up to the potential employer to ask for references and get fresh references that suit their specific requirements.

It is in your best interests to provide your tutor with job details, because then they can tailor their reference. So for example, I asked my PhD Supervisor if he would be happy to give me a reference for job applications and if he wanted me to ask for each specific application, or if he would be happy to be given for a whole batch. Unsurprisingly, he didn't want to be emailed about every single application, so said he was happy for me to put his details whenever I thought he would be an appropriate referee. But I have said that if I know he is going to be asked for a reference, either when a potential employer tells me, or because he tells me he has been asked, I will give him a quick background to the job/company and some guidance on what they want to know about and what he might like to comment on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.