Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically this time next week I have a university interview and I want some new clothes for it. I was thinking about doing a shirt/tie/jumper/trouser style but I do not know which colours go with what and all of those sort of fine details.

Anyone be able to either link me to a decent look to try and go for or suggest what colours should stay away from each other, need to be looking my best! ps its a Medical Physics interview at UCL

ReputationRep:
    Suit up. There is no alternative (unless you're interviewing for engineering, physics or something in which people in suits are mistrusted as spies from the evil university administration who just want to take away their supercomputers- in which case polo shirt and trousers).

If you're wearing a charcoal/black suit, wear a light blue or white shirt, match your belt to your shoes, and use common sense for the tie. Brownie points for matching the tie knot to the collar type of the shirt you wear (google it).

You'd be shocked how many people turned up to my interview (English & German Law double award) wearing black jeans and a polo. Needless to say nobody who actually made it onto the course was one of these types- that was one of the few things we all had in common in first year. Also, you always feel more businesslike and confident in a suit- and you look older and more mature.

Just for baby jesus' sake please make sure it's not from Next or Burton or similar sartorial criminals...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daftndirekt)
    hi all, can anyone help me out?
    Basically this time next week i have a university interview and i need to get some smart looking clothes. I was thinking about doing a shirt/tie/jumper/trouser style but i do not know which colours go with what and all of those sort of fine details.

Anyone be able to either link me to a decent look to try and go for or suggest what colours should stay away from each other, need to be looking my best!
    zute suit!!!

ReputationRep:
    Zoot* even

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfiep)
    Suit up. There is no alternative (unless you're interviewing for engineering, physics or something in which people in suits are mistrusted as spies from the evil university administration who just want to take away their supercomputers- in which case polo shirt and trousers).

If you're wearing a charcoal/black suit, wear a light blue or white shirt, match your belt to your shoes, and use common sense for the tie. Brownie points for matching the tie knot to the collar type of the shirt you wear (google it).

You'd be shocked how many people turned up to my interview (English & German Law double award) wearing black jeans and a polo. Needless to say nobody who actually made it onto the course was one of these types- that was one of the few things we all had in common in first year. Also, you always feel more businesslike and confident in a suit- and you look older and more mature.

Just for baby jesus' sake please make sure it's not from Next or Burton or similar sartorial criminals...

It is for Physics, I don't think I want to go for the supercomputer thief look :P I don't particularly want to wear my suite because it will get creases in my case. Oh and I steer clear of off the peg suites, they just don't look right!

ReputationRep:
    I've seen lots and lots and lots of people turn up for undergrad physics interviews over the years. They all just wear hoody and jeans. A suit would look completely out of place.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should play it safe and go with smart trousers, shirt and tie. I went to a uni interview in Sep and all the men were wearing suits or shirts/ties, all the women were wearing smart skirts/trousers and blouses. Better to be overdressed than underdressed.

ReputationRep:
    It is for Physics, I don't think I want to go for the supercomputer thief look :P I don't particularly want to wear my suite because it will get creases in my case. Oh and I steer clear of off the peg suites, they just don't look right!
    Well every physicist I know seems to be addicted to plain tees and polos, along with jeans or casual trousers- so I'd go with that. V-neck jumper over the polo to make it a little smarter if you like. Extra points for a digital watch which can do logarithms .

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, can anyone help me out?
    Basically this time next week I have a university interview and I need to get some smart looking clothes. I was thinking about doing a shirt/tie/jumper/trouser style but I do not know which colours go with what and all of those sort of fine details.

Anyone be able to either link me to a decent look to try and go for or suggest what colours should stay away from each other, need to be looking my best!
    Wear some dark (smart) jeans, some smart shoes and a white shirt, sorted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfiep)
    V-neck jumper over the polo .

Just no. Never do this ever.

ReputationRep:
    What to wear for interview depends on what uni the interview is with, and for what subject. At unis like Oxford and Cambridge, prospective students wore suits TO THE OPEN DAYS, so imagine the interviews... If you're applying for dentistry, medicine or vet science, it's a good idea to look very smart to formal. Try not to overdo it though. The harder the uni is to get into, the smarter you want to look. Though for a subject like physics, I don't think it will be that important. As a general rule, avoid jeans and hoodies if possible, and try and look reasonably smart but wear something you're comfortable in. Some unis will appreciate a laid back student, others will be offended by it. It's your choice.

ReputationRep:
    I know what style of clothes I am going to wear (I certainly won't be going in jeans and a polo shirt! :P ) I just want to know what colours to go for.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you want to leave a good impression wear a suit - end of.

ReputationRep:
    Don't wear a suit. I have a Cambridge interview on Thursday, and at the Oxbridge conference I went to a couple of months back for prospective appliers they said you needn't wear a suit. Of course you don't want to turn up in a Man U top (what if they support City!) and trackies, but you don't want to look overdressed either. Personally, I'm going to go for a black trousers and shirt. It's perfectly smart without looking too smart if you get what I mean (and they seemed to like it on work experience! )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.