Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Say you have a single hydrogen atom with its electron in its 1s orbital. Basically, is the phase of the orbital constant, or can it change? Because if I just don't really understand how an antibonding AND a bonding molecular orbital can be formed between two hydrogen atoms. If the orbitals are both of the same phase, and presumably CAN'T just switch phases, then why should an anti-bonding orbital arise? Similarly, if you have one in-phase and one out-of-phase, then why not JUST get an antibonding orbital. The thing is, I KNOW that two MOs are always produced when two atoms bond...I hope I've made myself clear, if not then I'll try again. But if anyone can understand that, and can help, I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers, J

ReputationRep:
    hmmm i want to know now, I done alevel chemistry and this wasn't taught to me. Like wth is an anti-bond. I'm watching this.

ReputationRep:
    You're talking about He2 which would have both bonding and anti-bonding orbitals filled (so the diatomic species of helium is too unstable to exist, like you said). 2 1s electrons from each helium fill out the bonding and antil-bonding orbitals.

Hydrogen however only has one 1s electron, and by the Aufbau principle the electrons are assigned to the lower energy orbitals first (which is the bonding orbital. Each orbital holds two electrons with paired spin. In H2 we have two electrons (one from each H atom) so only the bonding orbital is filled and voila, H2 can exist

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.