Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Morrissey Slams David Cameron For 'Liking The Smiths' Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/54127

Good old Morrissey and Marr, oh the advantages of being a lefty.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but what pretentious **** tells somebody else what music they should like/listen to? Musical taste is entirely subjective and ***** like this guy shouldn't go around telling people what is good/right to listen to and what isn't.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Morrisssey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    I'm sorry but what pretentious **** tells somebody else what music they should like/listen to? Musical taste is entirely subjective and ***** like this guy shouldn't go around telling people what is good/right to listen to and what isn't.
    er, morrissey, the lead singer of the Smiths, i.e. biggest pretentious **** of them all.

except mm i love them. and him.
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...ed=0CB4Q9QEwAg

Morrissey is a classic obstreperous, pretentions, cocky hippy. I can't take him seriously at all; The Smiths were amazing but his solo career is a giant pile of gash.

ReputationRep:
      He is right.

Nobody should listen to the Smiths. lol, but really I just think he's a bit of a self important ****. Morrissey too! Music is tolerable, but dislike his lyrics and DESPISE him as a person.

ReputationRep:
      I need to go to one of his concerts and eat a KFC bucket in front of his face.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ocassus)
      If we were talking about music as an abstract concept, then I'd totally agree with you.

In this case, however, Cameron was name-dropping The Smiths to further his political career, and Morrissey is the legal owner of that music, the creator of those lyrics, and it's entirely within his rights to comment on the public use of his own creative output.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Doesn't that man have anything better to do, like tend to his vegetable patch?

All he seems to do is moan.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by dnumberwang)
      If I didn't have to pay for the ticket then I'd join you in that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Manitude)
      If I didn't have to pay for the ticket then I'd join you in that.
      I wonder how he'd take it, me being a 'subspecies' and all...

ReputationRep:
      If you had to agree with Morrissey's politics to like the Smiths, no-one would ever have heard of them!

Anyway, apparently DC wants to "repeal the Hunting Act, which would mean the brutal killing of foxes, hares, deer, badgers, otters – just about anything that moves". What an utter load of ****.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      I wonder how he'd take it, me being a 'subspecies' and all...
      Tbh I would not be surprised if he stopped the concert, went into the crowd, found you, threw the chicken on the floor then *****slapped you.
      However if I was there too I'd try to protect you :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      I'm never been the biggest fan of Morrissey as a person. But I almost can't blame him for bursting out with this. People see that 'David Cameron likes The Smiths' so they automatically assume that The Smiths are a bunch of Tory ********s.

It'd be like Nick Griffin liking The King Blues, you're obviously gonna expect a reaction.

- And obviously it's Morrisseys attempt at grabbing a headline again.

ReputationRep:
      "Music is the only universal language"

How totally pretentious. And contradicted by "I forbid [David Cameron] to like it"

You couldn't make it up really. I think self-styled artists sometimes forget there's a real world outside.

ReputationRep:
      Pretentious ****. David Cameron is the Prime Minister - this man is a nonentity who likes to think he is making art.

ReputationRep:
      Cameron should release "Coalition - The Musical" just to rile Morrissey, it could be like a reality docu soap and then at key times, they could break out into Morrissey and Smiths songs.

eg Cabinet meeting, Iain Duncan Smith is asked to update us on his welfare reforms and he breaks out into "Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before"

Nick Clegg updates us on how his campaign to scrap student fees is going, "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish"

Theresa May reports back on latest student protest "Panic on the Streets of London"

Wikileaks reveal Downing Streets private comments on the Foreign Office "William, It Was Really Nothing"

George Osborne sees latest economic forecast from Office for Budget Responsibility: "Heaven Knows Im Miserable Now"

Ken Clarke reveals prisoner early release scheme "Shoplifters of the World Unite"

Liam Fox argues for extra funding from the Treasury to fight Afghan war "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want This Time"

Chris Huhne comments on government climate change strategy "What Difference Does It Make"

David Laws reflects on his career as First Secretary to the Treasury "First Of The Gang To Die"

Danny Alexander sees note left by David Laws saying 'there's no money left': "That Joke Isn't Funny Any More"

Chris Grayling re-emerges to make some comments to the media about gay couples "Bigmouth Strikes Again"

Chris Pickles stands up to talk about anything "You're The One For Me, Fatty"

Boris Johnson reveals his thoughts on the leadership "The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get"

ReputationRep:
      Morrissey? A stuck-up tossbag? Nah...

ReputationRep:
      Oh how I'd love to do this too.

ReputationRep:
      I like his music but the guy's a nobend

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.