Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    K, so I'm not really a guy who's confident in his appearance and probably lets his brain get in the way more than anything (both a cause and effect of the low confidence), but regardless...

So I was waiting to buy a drink at the bar of a local club - pretty packed, was in the second row... looked left into the field of dancing arms that was the dancefloor. I then made eye contact with a dude - pretty gay moment to say the least - however, he then tapped the hip of the girl to my left, to whom I then made eye contact with > winked > offered to buy her a drink > got denied.

To say the least, it was expected, but I am really glad there are guys like that out there... ones who are willing to help low-confidence geeks like myself. Perhaps if all the lads in this world worked together, there may no longer be any date rape [not that I've considered it, just a bit of black humor for you], but that's just too altruistic too happen.

Or is it? Anyone else done this? Or been on the receiving end of such kindness?

[Edit]
    Just want to make it clear "the guy" walked off... I was quite confused, but then casanova kicked in.

ReputationRep:
    lol what

Maybe you should have tried the guy instead ...

ReputationRep:
      So as far as she knew you tapped her on the hip and then winked at her?

ReputationRep:
      I don't get it.

ReputationRep:
      u gay bruh?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ebbson)
      So as far as she knew you tapped her on the hip and then winked at her?
      Yeh.. perhaps bold on my part, but if she was expecting a highly sophisticated conversation in a club where "sweat drips off my balls" at high volume was being played, then she's living in a pipe dream. Don't forget I did get denied though.

[Edit]
      These gay comments are slightly unnerving. The geezer just moved into my field of vision and that's it... as I said I don't have much confidence, for someone to have given me a "helping hand" is moving to say the least (exaggerated I know..)

ReputationRep:
      Aww that's a really nice story

(Original post by one-final-hit)
        Yeh.. perhaps bold on my part, but if she was expecting a highly sophisticated conversation in a club where "sweat drips off my balls" at high volume was being played, then she's living in a pipe dream. Don't forget I did get denied though.

[Edit]
        These gay comments are slightly unnerving. The geezer just moved into my field of vision and that's it... as I said I don't have much confidence, for someone to have given me a "helping hand" is moving to say the least (exaggerated I know..)
        No. I thought what you did was cool and enough. Anything beyond that (like conversations), and it would have been awkward. Plus, winks are harmless fun.

ReputationRep:

[Edit]
        Fair enough, you can't be that unconfident... I probably would have been a dweeb and just looked away or something

ReputationRep:
        ... cool story bro.

Now, to find the 'Back' button on firefox...

ReputationRep:
        I still don't get it.

ReputationRep:
        Wait, that's really confusing - how did this guy help you??

ReputationRep:

Perhaps if all the lads in this world worked together, there may no longer be any date rape [not that I've considered it, just a bit of black humor for you], but that's just too altruistic too happen.

Or is it? Anyone else done this? Or been on the receiving end of such kindness.
        :lolwut:

I don't get this at all. :confused:

ReputationRep:
        one time a girl let me talk to her it was really sweet

ReputationRep:
        L O L I have no idea what you just said, but riveting tale, chap

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1280&bih=669

ReputationRep:
        kk will speek in laymans.. 1 bro helpz geek to get girl. It's not that I don't talk to girls, I'm just not forward enough with them due to a lack of confidence... thought this might've shone through but apparently not.

Edit]
        Without "the guy" I simply would never have talked to that girl. It may sound stupid, but just search for "nice guy" nd you'll see a whole bunch of decent but lonely guys.

ReputationRep:
        That's cool

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Jackso)
        Girl working at Starbucks randomly gave me a free hot chocolate. Made my week, which had been going pretty poorly.
        Maybe that was an act with a motive?

Anyway for those who are struggling to understand OP it seems he's shy/awkward. A guy who isn't tapped the hip of a girl next to OP so that would somehow give OP the confidence to engage her in conversation, offer to buy a drink etc, when she turned around, she'd think OP had tapped her.

But urm...yay for you..sort of?

The guy helped him by tapping on the girl because OP was too timid to do so.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.