Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm thinking of getting this laptop :woo: to replace my current one which can be summed up in pleasant terms as a lump of turd...

However as it comes with Windows Vista and I want it to be as up to date as possible, i'm thinking of purchasing Windows 7, however as is shown here, i'd have to do a custom install which means losing all my programs and stuff off the laptop (i'm worried about the ones which would be pre-installed.

It comes with all this pre-installed:
    Acer Crystal Eye
    Acer GridVista™
    Acer GameZone
    Acer Game Console
    Acer Backup Manager
    Acer PowerSmart Manager
    Acer eRecovery Management
    McAfee Internet Security Suite 60-day trial version
    Adobe® Reader®
    Adobe Flash Player
    Google Toolbar
    Google Desktop
    Cyberlink® Power DVD
    CyberLink® PowerDirector® trial version
    NTI Media Maker™
    Microsoft® Works 9.0 with Office Home and Student 2007 Trial

Some of it I wouldn't be worried about but i'd prefer to keep the Acer tools, is there any way of avoiding losing all of that?

Cheers guys for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexcs)
    Basically, I'm thinking of getting this laptop :woo: to replace my current one which can be summed up in pleasant terms as a lump of turd...

However as it comes with Windows Vista and I want it to be as up to date as possible, i'm thinking of purchasing Windows 7, however as is shown here, i'd have to do a custom install which means losing all my programs and stuff off the laptop (i'm worried about the ones which would be pre-installed.

[SIZE="1"]It comes with all this pre-installed:
    Acer Crystal Eye
    Acer GridVista™
    Acer GameZone
    Acer Game Console
    Acer Backup Manager
    Acer PowerSmart Manager
    Acer eRecovery Management
    McAfee Internet Security Suite 60-day trial version
    Adobe® Reader®
    Adobe Flash Player
    Google Toolbar
    Google Desktop
    Cyberlink® Power DVD
    CyberLink® PowerDirector® trial version
    NTI Media Maker™
    Microsoft® Works 9.0 with Office Home and Student 2007 Trial[/SIZE]

Some of it I wouldn't be worried about but i'd prefer to keep the Acer tools, is there any way of avoiding losing all of that?

Cheers guys for any help
    http://tinyurl.com/363tc2s
    Go through the selection (Aspire 4810T < Aspire < Notebook)
    You will see a handy drop down box next to the words 'Operating System:', so select the relevant version of Win7
    You will see that not everything you have listed above is there, but it is a start.

ReputationRep:
    With regard to losing the Acer stuff, I'm pretty sure you can just download it all from their site after and reinstall.

ReputationRep:
    Power DVD is the only thing in that list I'd even think about reinstalling (aside from the nigh on mandatory Adobe freeware). It's all trials or bloatware. None of it is needed at all.

ReputationRep:
    My sister has a Windows 7 laptop - isn't that great tbh. Acer isn't very good from what I've seen because my uncle had to send his back for repair after a few months of light use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainFactory)
    My sister has a Windows 7 laptop - isn't that great tbh. Acer isn't very good from what I've seen because my uncle had to send his back for repair after a few months of light use.
    Au contraire - nothing can be worse than my Windows Vista laptop! :L and I have an Acer which has lasted me pretty much four years now! Although now I'm beginning to need a new one hence the thread

Thanks for everyone's help!!

ReputationRep:
    Get it. 7 is superior to Vista or XP. And more user-friendly too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.