Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Desert island books- complete works of ONE writer. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So you're trapped on a desert island indefinitely, and you can take with you the complete works of ONE writer. JUST ONE.

Who would you choose, and why?

Oh, and you get Shakespeare and The Bible anyway. So not them.

ReputationRep:
    Why do I have the bible and everything by Shakespeare with me? I'm not even religious.

ReputationRep:
    Every available issue of 'Front'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you failed)
    why do i have the bible and everything by shakespeare with me? I'm not even religious.
    BECAUSE I SAY SO

also because that's the rules on 'desert island discs' which this is based on.

ReputationRep:
    Everything written by Tolkien. He is the best writer ever to grace this planet, in my opinion. I never get tired of reading his stuff.

Thanks for The Bible, that can help start fires. Shakespeare is safe, I like him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Everything written by Tolkien. He is the best writer ever to grace this planet, in my opinion. I never get tired of reading his stuff.

Thanks for The Bible, that can help start fires. Shakespeare is safe, I like him.
    Good choice, that would keep you occupied for ages and ages. I might steal that.

Bible is also good to use as rizlas because the pages are so thin.

ReputationRep:
    Complete works of Shelley. Really predictable choice (coming from me, anyway), but I can't think of anyone else I'd want instead. Prometheus Unbound for when I needed some transcendent, life-changing poetry, and works like Zastrozzi for the lulz...Shelley and Shakespeare would make me happy.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    A world in which you can get trapped on an island with the complete works of one (and only one) author, clearly doesn't follow standard logic, so 'indefinitely' doesn't necessarily mean what it means in real life. So I'd confidently ignore that bit and go for Trollope or some other particularly prolific Victorian novelist, because that would be enough to keep me occupied for quite a while. Plus there'd be enough volumes to spread out on the beach and spell HELP in large letters, so I'd get rescued by a plane as soon as I was finished reading.
    Not sure if I'd insist on having the books rescued as well, though.

ReputationRep:
    If I was going to be rational about this, then Barbara Cartland. Haven't read any of her stuff, but it would keep me going for a while, since she wrote billions (literally), wouldn't it?

Though actually I would choose Edgar Allan Poe. I might get round to reading his only novel, then.

And why are Desert Island Discs so excluding to other religions that we get the Bible as a given, as if our religious beliefs were just determined by mere geography (and chance)? Oh wait, they are

ReputationRep:
    It would have to be Dostoyevsky for me.

Samuel Beckett.

</predictable>

ReputationRep:
      Katie Price, of course.

ReputationRep:
      Dr. Seuss - entertainment for hours

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hobnob)
      A world in which you can get trapped on an island with the complete works of one (and only one) author, clearly doesn't follow standard logic, so 'indefinitely' doesn't necessarily mean what it means in real life. So I'd confidently ignore that bit and go for Trollope or some other particularly prolific Victorian novelist, because that would be enough to keep me occupied for quite a while. Plus there'd be enough volumes to spread out on the beach and spell HELP in large letters, so I'd get rescued by a plane as soon as I was finished reading.
      Not sure if I'd insist on having the books rescued as well, though.
      An ingenious answer.

I was going to go for Beckett, but then I realised volume of output really does matter here; after a few years I'd probably have Beckett's entire oeuvre commited to memory, so I'd end up with nothing to read.

So my answer is a bilingual set of Tolstoy's complete works. Together they weigh the same as a newborn beluga whale, so they would take up plenty of time. And then, once I've finished, I can use them to learn Russian. And then, once I've done that, I can lure adult beluga whales to the shore and hitch a lift back to civilisation. (Or maybe I should just do that first).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by missygeorgia)
      So you're trapped on a desert island indefinitely, and you can take with you the complete works of ONE writer. JUST ONE.

Who would you choose, and why?

Oh, and you get Shakespeare and The Bible anyway. So not them.
      one writer? damn you made it hard.

the bible is ideal for fueling the fire.

its really hard!!

it would be tolkien, hadn't read his books and it would be a good time to start
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by the_alba)
      An ingenious answer.

I was going to go for Beckett, but then I realised volume of output really does matter here; after a few years I'd probably have Beckett's entire oeuvre commited to memory, so I'd end up with nothing to read.

So my answer is a bilingual set of Tolstoy's complete works. Together they weigh the same as a newborn beluga whale, so they would take up plenty of time. And then, once I've finished, I can use them to learn Russian. And then, once I've done that, I can lure adult beluga whales to the shore and hitch a lift back to civilisation. (Or maybe I should just do that first).
      Why the preference for beluga whales? Wouldn't they be a bit hard to hold on to, due to their size?:confused:

ReputationRep:
      Umberto Eco.

ReputationRep:
      Dostoevsky - I'd be there for a while and I love his work.

Or Philip K ****, such a prolific writer and produced some of the best mind blowing **** there ever was.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CrazyBeautiful)
      And why are Desert Island Discs so excluding to other religions that we get the Bible as a given, as if our religious beliefs were just determined by mere geography (and chance)? Oh wait, they are
      You can actually request to take in another religious text or not have the Bible at all But it's probably just because the programme's really old

ReputationRep:
      Undecided between Plato, Nietzsche and Terry Pratchett. Although Plato's CW isn't that much in all honesty, got them all in one book, albeit an 1800 page one. Might have to go with terry pratchett.

negged because?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.