The Student Room Group

Christmas Eve vs. Christmas Day

Scroll to see replies

When I was younger, Christmas Eve was better because I was so excited about presents and Santa.

But now, I prefer Christmas Day, because there's a really nice meal, and stuff actually happens.
Neither. Idc much about xmas. It is just the awkwardness of trying to work out gifts that people would like, and working out who gets gifts and who don't (housemates? does that person at uni see me as a friend or not?), and the additional awkwardness if they get you something and you didn't get them anything. Then you have to go around seeing family whether you want to or not. Hoo-fking-ray.

I'm going to turn into Scrooge, aren't I?

Anyway, when I was a child, I preferred Xmas Eve. Reason being, I come from a half German family, and Germans have xmas on the 24th. That side of the family got me better gifts and were generally nicer to me. Also, that's the atheist side of the family - no Church. It was only as I got older that finally the other half accepted that I wasn't going to be religious. Church on Xmas morning put a downer on the whole day.
I find Christmas day really depressing now, and then it just gets steadily worse until New Year's day which is the height of depressiveness. :tongue:
Reply 43
Neither. Everyone works Christmas Eve, and Christmas is usually marred by arguments. The week after has to my favourite out of the entire year. It's the one week my dad's factory is shut so we don't get one phone call and we can all relax knowing that no new problems will occur. :smile:
Reply 44
Christmas Eve is the best for me, even though I'm 18 there is still exitement about Christmas Day.

Christmas Day is great in the morning, but it goes through so fast and then it's all over.

Boxing Day is just..meh!
Reply 45
Christmas eve is always a last minute present wrapping and decoration applying session until about 1am. I dislike it immensely.
But I get what OP says about christmas day. It's brilliant in the morning, but once the usual opening/eating/watching tv is done it can be a bit depressing. So much so that I actually look forward to seeing the relatives at tea time.
Boxing day is a nice day though, very relaxed.
Reply 46
Original post by Antifazian
I find Christmas day really depressing now, and then it just gets steadily worse until New Year's day which is the height of depressiveness. :tongue:

Can be sometimes. New Year's Eve from 2009/10 was dire for me. I went to the party at the village hall for about an hour. Had one pint then decided I didn't want to be there. So went home.

I spent the next 4 hours or so alone until about 2am.

Bad times.
Reply 47
Original post by ily_em
I have a piece of coursework due in and an exam on the last day of term (at uni) :frown:

So do I :tongue: I have a 2,500 word essay (not too bad) and a LATIN EXAM on the last day!
Christmas Eve, it's full of family traditions. We always put the last of the presents under the tree, go and see a family-friendly film and then come home and have lasagne for dinner. (Mum makes the best!) Then we watch some of the Christmas tv and put out the stockings and stuff. Occasionally do last minute Christmas present runs! I love Christmas Eve!
I dislike both. Boxing Day is the only day I enjoy. Although this year my family is spending it together for some reason, so that will also turn into an unmitigated disaster. Generally speaking, in my house the only enjoyable holidays are the ones where one or both parents are absent. Cruel, but true.
Reply 50
Day- presents! :biggrin:
Reply 51
My favourite night of the whole christmas hoopla is the school christmas dance, then the whole year group goes to someone's house and we all get really drunk and spend the last day of term sitting in the church hungover. Then there's always the person who comes to school still drunk, and then they fall asleep in church. Oh, its what christmas is all about for me.

Or me and my friends always have a day where we go to someone's house and eat lots of mince pies and swap presents :biggrin:

For me, they are better than christmas eve or christmas day.
Whatever day has the best movies.
I genuinely don't like Christmas apart from the fact I always get a decent present from my parents. Reasons being: 1. Jesus Isn't real. 2. People buy presents for people they don't want in return for another present they don't want.
Xmas Eve I spend on my own, having fun, and trying to be gay. :wink:

Xmas Day is spent sat in the living room with a bunch of old biddies exchanging pairs of socks. It drives me MAD AND I AM GLAD WHEN IT'S OVER.

BAH HUMBUG.
Original post by Fusion
Which day do you prefer?

I've always loved Christmas Eve. It's sort of the whole last minute buzz about the day and just immense excitement carried through from childhood. I just think Christmas day suffers from 'Sunday syndrome' a bit too much.

The day itself. Lots of good food and good drink and good company....well as good as it's going to get when it's family and it's elderly relatives. It's just a shame the day itself goes so quickly.
Reply 56
What a genuinely refreshing topic for this section! Tired of the keyboard warriors who are experts on everything professing their "truth" on all of the hardcore topics on this forum, this is a much more light-hearted topic and very welcome indeed!

For me both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are very musically-orientated. I sing with the Cathedral Choir in Nottingham and obviously Christmas is pretty busy time performance-wise on both days, however, Christmas Eve has the added bonus of The Choir of King's College Cambridge and their glorious service of 9 Lessons and Carols. I think the Midnight Mass service on Christmas Eve always has a bit more of a buzz about it than Christmas Morning too - but that's probably more due to the timings and frequency of services in Nottingham.

I think I probably agree that Christmas Eve is often more exciting - once you're over the idea of presents (which I'll admit I'm not just yet!) Christmas Day is pretty lazy, full of food and sitting in front of the TV very often! Christmas Eve is a lot more vibrant and exciting - as you say, there's a real buzz about it which I think one is too full of food to appreciate on the Day itself. For me though it's not about picking one single day, rather it's about the whole of the Festive Season from the beginning of Advent through to Christmas Day. Everyone seems a lot happier, the City seems a lot busier and the Christmas Market is in full-swing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending