Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ive already done i and ii, it's just iii which I don't quite understand. The mark scheme doesn't help either.

Functions f and g are defined by f(x) = 2sin(x) for ?1/2Pi ? x ? 1/2Pi, g(x) = 4-x^2 for xER.
    (i) State the range of f and the range of g.
    (ii) Show that gf(0.5) = 2.16, correct to 3 significant figures, and explain why fg(0.5) is not defined.
    (iii) Find the set of values of x for which f-1g(x) is not defined.

For iii) I'm aware that the inverse of f can only take x value between 2 and -2 and that the range is 1/2Pi and -1/2Pi

This means that g(x)>2 and g(x)<-2 for which f-1 is not defined.

trying to work it out I get.

4-x^2>2 => x= ±(sqrt)3
    4-x^2<-2 => ±1

I get as far as this... the mark scheme however wants us to combine the value to get a range of x for which f-1 is undefined;

It says: Attempt solution involving four x values M1 to produce at least two sets of values Obtain x <-(sqrt)3, -1<x<1, x>(sqrt)3

this is the part I don't understand.

Could anyone just explain this part please.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)
    Ive already done i and ii, it's just iii which I don't quite understand. The mark scheme doesn't help either.

Functions f and g are defined by f(x) = 2sin(x) for ?1/2Pi ? x ? 1/2Pi, g(x) = 4-x^2 for xER.
    (ii) Show that gf(0.5) = 2.16, correct to 3 significant figures, and explain why fg(0.5) is not defined.

For iii) I'm aware that the inverse of f can only take x value between 2 and -2 and that the range is 1/2Pi and -1/2Pi

4-x^2>2 => x= ±(sqrt)3
    4-x^2<-2 => ±1

I get as far as this... the mark scheme however wants us to combine the value to get a range of x for which f-1 is undefined;

It says: Attempt solution involving four x values M1 to produce at least two sets of values Obtain x <-(sqrt)3, -1<x<1, x>(sqrt)3

this is the part I don't understand.

Could anyone just explain this part please.
    Thanks.
    what year is the paper from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)

4-x^2>2 => x= ±(sqrt)3
    4-x^2<-2 => ±1
    Solving these inequalities you can not get equalities.
    4-x^2>2 => 2>x^2 =>taking root |x|<(sqrt)2 which means -(sqrt)2<x<(sqrt)2

4-x^2<-2 => x^2>6 => |x|>(sqrt)6 meaning x>(sqrt)6 or x<-(sqrt)6

ReputationRep:
    Guys I asked this ages ago. It's weird that I was able to solve this when returning to college the next day, though I can't even understand what's going on since finishing A-levels =].

ReputationRep:
    lol what is it with people and bumping year plus old threads.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.