Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently anticipating Christmas monies, but I am unsure which laptop to buy... I would consider myself a pretty demanding user. I edit video, upload videos/music, play video games and ramp up performance levels (I also download and create game modifications), as well as storing gigs of data. One requisite for me, however, is a very high res. monitor; it's just a feature I am infatuated with.

I would be using this machine for watching programmes, listening to music, as a work station, powerful gaming rig, editing video/songs and for general use (internet browsing etc).

My budget will most likely be within the region of £1,000 - £1,500. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Oh, and it is imperative that the build quality is brilliant, as I would be using it 12 hours a day or more. I think the metal casing is an intrinsic and much needed feature.

So far am considering:

Alienware (not sure which model, yet. An m17x if I can afford one with suitable hardware.)

Macbook Pro 2010 (Don't shoot me.)

Sony Vaio Z series (If I forget it this Christmas and save up a bit more.)

Once again, thank you for any help you might offer

Ouch... does it really have to be a laptop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    Ouch... does it really have to be a laptop?
    That was exactly my dad's response I do not like sitting in my bedroom for such extensive periods. 12 hours really is the amount of time I will be using it daily so the mobility factor is immensely important. I know it's a lot to ask of a laptop, but I've heard good things about Alienware's line.

Okay dokey...

I'd rule out the MacBook. The high resolution 1920x1200 screens only come with the 17" model, which is out of your price range at £1900 :lolwut: at the basic specifications, before you change anything. The 15" model only has a 1680x1050 screen and is £1500 for the base model. Both models have rubbish graphics cards as standard, and there appears to be no upgrade option.

Sony Vaio Z - they seem to have 13.1" screens , but the resolution is good. You get much better specs for your money than you do from Apple, and it's far more customisable at order time too.

Looking at all the ones you mentioned, I'd go for the Alienware. It's got a good base spec to begin with as well as a CPU upgrade option for a reasonable price. The graphics card is the best of the bunch as well, and you can have a 1920x1200 screen.

Unfortunately, I think your budget is too tight to get exactly what you want. The Alienware you mentioned starts at £1599 and only gets more expensive the more upgrades you make...

This is my line of thinking, but hope it helped you

ReputationRep:
    Mac's aren't great for gaming, I have a Macbook Pro(2010 - 15") and it's not optimised for games, for everything else it's fine. Depends how important gaming is to you. Laptops aren't really the go to machine for gaming rigs.

ReputationRep:
    Okay dokey...

I'd rule out the MacBook. The high resolution 1920x1200 screens only come with the 17" model, which is out of your price range at £1900 :lolwut: at the basic specifications, before you change anything. The 15" model only has a 1680x1050 screen and is £1500 for the base model. Both models have rubbish graphics cards as standard, and there appears to be no upgrade option.

Sony Vaio Z - they seem to have 13.1" screens , but the resolution is good. You get much better specs for your money than you do from Apple, and it's far more customisable at order time too.

Looking at all the ones you mentioned, I'd go for the Alienware. It's got a good base spec to begin with as well as a CPU upgrade option for a reasonable price. The graphics card is the best of the bunch as well, and you can have a 1920x1200 screen.

Unfortunately, I think your budget is too tight to get exactly what you want. The Alienware you mentioned starts at £1599 and only gets more expensive the more upgrades you make...

This is my line of thinking, but hope it helped you
    That was also my thinking. Unfortunately, I can't find any alternative laptops which can offer as much as the Alienware for the same amount of money. Perhaps I should just save up a bit longer.

And yeah, you wer ehelpful Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NS17)
    Mac's aren't great for gaming, I have a Macbook Pro(2010 - 15") and it's not optimised for games, for everything else it's fine. Depends how important gaming is to you. Laptops aren't really the go to machine for gaming rigs.
    The gaming is fairly important I know that makes it all so much more difficult. I also have a tendency to push a machine and turn all the in-game settings up to max. I wouldn't over clock anything, but I have a feeling I'll need a pretty powerful laptop.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I thought I had to have a laptop too because of it's mobility factor but for 99% of the time it's been in my room...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Tbh I thought I had to have a laptop too because of it's mobility factor but for 99% of the time it's been in my room...
    I wish that was the case for me But I get very depressed sat in my bedroom for too long. I also get back pains and painful knees, because I cannot move much. I have had a laptop now for half a year (since my desktop decided to die), and I can't see myself enjoying a desktop ever again... Are the advantages of a desktop really so much greater than those of a laptop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTJ)
    I wish that was the case for me But I get very depressed sat in my bedroom for too long. I also get back pains and painful knees, because I cannot move much. I have had a laptop now for half a year (since my desktop decided to die), and I can't see myself enjoying a desktop ever again... Are the advantages of a desktop really so much greater than those of a laptop?
    Screen real estate is what does it for me. I have two 24" panels hooked up to a custom rig and it's glorious. My laptop goes to Labs/Lectures (and the Starbucks down the road because being a ********'s cool).

For gaming you can hook yourself up with a decent (home built) rig for under £800 and have enough money for a mid-range laptop on top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NS17)
    Screen real estate is what does it for me. I have two 24" panels hooked up to a custom rig and it's glorious. My laptop goes to Labs/Lectures (and the Starbucks down the road because being a ********'s cool).

For gaming you can hook yourself up with a decent (home built) rig for under £800 and have enough money for a mid-range laptop on top.
    How much would a mid-range laptop cost, though? Bearing in mind I still need to do quite a lot on it, aside from the gaming Would it be cheaper to do that than to invest heavily in just a top quality laptop?

ReputationRep:
    macbook!

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt recommend ever spending over £500 on a laptop. the investment is too short lived to be worthwhile. if you build a pc yourself you can have a pc with literally top specs for half that price.

ReputationRep:
    The 15" model only has a 1680x1050 screen and is £1500 for the base model.
    Only??
    My Dell Inspiron 1520 has a 15.4" screen with a 1440x900 res, and any more than that would make it difficult for me to use it for any significant period of time!

(Original post by INTJ)
    I'm currently anticipating Christmas monies, but I am unsure which laptop to buy... I would consider myself a pretty demanding user. I edit video, upload videos/music, play video games and ramp up performance levels (I also download and create game modifications), as well as storing gigs of data. One requisite for me, however, is a very high res. monitor; it's just a feature I am infatuated with.

I would be using this machine for watching programmes, listening to music, as a work station, powerful gaming rig, editing video/songs and for general use (internet browsing etc).

My budget will most likely be within the region of £1,000 - £1,500. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Oh, and it is imperative that the build quality is brilliant, as I would be using it 12 hours a day or more. I think the metal casing is an intrinsic and much needed feature.

So far am considering:

Alienware (not sure which model, yet. An m17x if I can afford one with suitable hardware.)

Macbook Pro 2010 (Don't shoot me.)

Sony Vaio Z series (If I forget it this Christmas and save up a bit more.)

Once again, thank you for any help you might offer
    Actually, I think the VAIO F12 looks good, I'm thinking about getting one of them for myself.

Also, consider yourself shot.

ReputationRep:
    Several of the things you mention really need a desktop. Anything that's high performance (Games, Video editing etc.) would really benefit from the things you can do in a desktop and not on a laptop (lot's of memory, Raid arrays, good graphics cards, dual monitors).

Laptops tend to be optimised for heat disapation and energy efficiency these generally mean you don't get such good performance parts in a laptop as a desktop. e.g. Laptops generally have 4500 or 5400 RPM drives, Desktops can have up to 10,000 RPM Sata drives and if you really wanted performance you could have a raid array of SAS drives at 15k.

Personally I'd buy a desktop and use that for the heavy duty jobs and then buy a mid range laptop which could probably play the games and do some video editing but on lower settings.

If space in your room is an issue maybe you should see if there's somewhere else you could put the PC. Or maybe spend some of the money you save buying a desktop PC on getting some decent office furniture. If you don't have a decent desk to work at and your using a laptop for 12 hours a day you're likely to do some nasty RSI damage to your self.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Actually, I think the VAIO F12 looks good, I'm thinking about getting one of them for myself.

Also, consider yourself shot.
    The F12? I will look up that model now. Consider myself shot? I do not know what you mean... Slang phrase?

(Original post by INTJ)
    The F12? I will look up that model now. Consider myself shot? I do not know what you mean... Slang phrase?
    You said for nobody to shoot you for thinking about an Apple... consider yourself shot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    You said for nobody to shoot you for thinking about an Apple... consider yourself shot
    Of course I should have seen it coming. I think the Mac is truly ousted now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.