Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    These are the current AS subjects i am studying: Psychology, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and general studies.

Are these the ''perfect'' subjects to have for entry in to dentistry???

Would you recommend i drop AS Physics at the end of Y12 and take AS maths, does this make me seem more well rounded?

What kind of grades would give me a decent chance of getting in??? We all know the minimum entries uni's list are a load of B0ll0cks. I'm not sure if AAA-AAB is the average expected grade anymore, especially with the new A* grade!!

ReputationRep:
    There are no 'perfect' subjects, however, sciences are always a bonus. Don't make the fatal mistake of choosing what subject you're going to drop before results day. Drop the subject you feel you're not going to get the highest grade in.
    I'm not sure whether Maths is appreciated or not for Dentistry but remember that it's quality, not quantity (AAA is better than AAAB). It'll make you look a bit better if you took up an AS, however it's not much better. Chances are, it might damage your concentration on your other subjects. For example, taking up AS Maths might give you a boost but you may go from a potential AAA student to getting AAB just because you had to revise for your Maths exam as well.

Regarding the standard, dentistry is pretty tough and a lot of it comes down to other factors, Personal Statements, work experience, all that stuff. But AAA is a good prediction, unless you're targetting the really high universities which you'll probably need A*AA for. This is just an assumption, my friend is taking dentistry and she's got offers from Notts, Cardiff, Manchester, Kings and Aston with AAA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tesla1993)
    These are the current AS subjects i am studying: Psychology, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and general studies.

Are these the ''perfect'' subjects to have for entry in to dentistry???

Would you recommend i drop AS Physics at the end of Y12 and take AS maths, does this make me seem more well rounded?

What kind of grades would give me a decent chance of getting in??? We all know the minimum entries uni's list are a load of B0ll0cks. I'm not sure if AAA-AAB is the average expected grade anymore, especially with the new A* grade!!

The two subjects you will definitely need to study at A level will be Biology and Chemistry. Aside from those two, there are no other 'needed' subjects. I would not recommend dropping Physics to do ANOTHER AS level, as this will just make it harder for you to concentrate on your other subjects at A2 level.

The grades that you need are AAA at A2 level. Some places ask for another A at AS level, though some only require a B. However you will HAVE to have those 3 A's at A2 level.
    There are NO dental schools that ask for A*'s at A2 level, however this may change in the next few years, (who knows?!), as entrance grade requirements seem to be rising steadily. If you are applying for 2012 entry, then they will probably still be AAA though.

Some universities also ask for a certain number of A's or A*'s at GCSE as well, so make sure you have the grades there first!

So, concentrate on Biology, Chemistry and one other A2 level, and if you get AAA then all is well

Aside from that, you will need evidence of teamworking, leadership and manual dexterity when you apply. You will also need at least 2 weeks work experience (primarily within a general dental practice). Some universities also require you to undertake the UKCAT examination before applying.

(Original post by Suraj182)
    This is just an assumption, my friend is taking dentistry and she's got offers from Notts, Cardiff, Manchester, Kings and Aston with AAA.
    That is most certainly only an assumption, as Nottingham and Aston do not even offer Dentistry courses. You can only apply for 4 dental school as it is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gene-ius)
    That is most certainly only an assumption, as Nottingham and Aston do not even offer Dentistry courses. You can only apply for 4 dental school as it is...
    Bet I look like a right t**t now! It must've been something else to do with Dental then...sorry!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.