Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I suddenly realized that I don't know anything about current economic affairs. (Don't read economist, any newspaper, don't watch the news etc.)

Would anyone please like to help the hopeless applicant and maybe give a list of topics that might be relevant? Like

1. economic depression
    2. mortgage funds
    3. situation in Greece

or something like that.

My ignorance is really getting to me and I want to start researching some issues into depth but I don't know where to start. Would anyone please like to help? I don't need any explanations. Just the topics...

I appreciate your help!

ReputationRep:
    Some that I can think of from the top of my head:

1 - The depression
    2 - UK's fiscal budget
    3 - Greece/Portugal/Italy situations
    4 - The rise of China
    5 - Rise of other BRIC countries
    6 - China/US exchange rate disagreements
    7 - Euro crisis

Strongly suggest following the BBC site for the general low-down. For further reading, I'd say get your hands on The Economist. It's a very interesting read, you'll learn alot about all sorts of topical issues - not strictly related to economics.
    I would suggest The Guardian as a newspaper but I'm losing faith with almost all papers now, the Financial Times would probably do but I don't read it. Just try to avoid journalist-hysterics sort of media, go for stuff from economists. Listening to Radio 4 may also prove useful sometimes.

=]

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much! It's very helpful.

I'm going to look into those topics now.

Anyone else have any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    whether DSGE models are bull**** or not.

ah i thought you meant academic issues. since you mean current affairs i cant really contribute as i dont follow those much.

ReputationRep:
    Climate change and energy policies (carbon tax,emission trading)
    Globalisation

ReputationRep:
    i would add the causes and impacts of quantitative easing policies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.