Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if there is an official temperature below which schools/colleges may close? It's currently minus five degrees where I live, and two weeks ago many of the staff were saying that they wouldn't work in our completely unheated building (only us doing A-levels are in it :mad:) if it got much colder.

That was back when it was a relatively tropical three or four degrees.

So I'm wondering, is there a temperature at which schools/colleges are supposed to close at?

ReputationRep:
    -6 mate, gutted.

ReputationRep:
    It's -14 where I am and the college is still open. Don't think there's really an official temperature.
    The buses to get there on the other hand aren't running, so I'm stuck at home.

ReputationRep:
    I think the school must be able to maintain a temperature inside, outside can get as cold as you like. Kids in Russia go to school in weather well below -20 Celsius.

ReputationRep:
    Classrooms should be at least 18C
    http://www.atl.org.uk/health-and-saf...emperature.asp
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Outside it doesn't matter (though snow often prevents schools opening, though there is no 'rule' about that).

Inside must be a certain temperature though.

Wear a coat.

ReputationRep:
    They seem to denature at 40C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Does anybody know if there is an official temperature below which schools/colleges may close? It's currently minus five degrees where I live, and two weeks ago many of the staff were saying that they wouldn't work in our completely unheated building (only us doing A-levels are in it :mad:) if it got much colder.

That was back when it was a relatively tropical three or four degrees.

So I'm wondering, is there a temperature at which schools/colleges are supposed to close at?
    no, why would there be? if there's no snow/ice on roads it can be -20 and you can get there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    They seem to denature at 40C.
    well played

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.