Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any Dutch people here? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

My name is Amanda and although I've been visiting this website for quite a while, I'd like to be more active on it from now on. 2012, the year in which I plan to enter university, is getting closer. I love to talk to people from all over the world but especially to those who are Dutch and to those who go to Cambridge University. You can also send me a message if you're interested in the Dutch language or the Dutch universities.

Hope to hear from you!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I'm not Dutch, sorry. I have family from the Netherlands though If it makes you feel any better, if I had been born seventy years earlier I'd have grown up speaking Dutch, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm half Dutch. Going to Haaren at Christmas
    But I've lived here since I was five.

ReputationRep:
    I am not Dutch per say, but I was born there and speak Dutch =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DutchDreamer)
    Hello everyone!

My name is Amanda and although I've been visiting this website for quite a while, I'd like to be more active on it from now on. 2012, the year in which I plan to enter university, is getting closer. I love to talk to people from all over the world but especially to those who are Dutch and to those who go to Cambridge University. You can also send me a message if you're interested in the Dutch language or the Dutch universities.

Hope to hear from you!
    Hi there Amanda, there are quite some Dutch people on here I believe ^^
    I was born in Leiden not too far from The Hague and moved to the UK nearly 2 years ago now. Although I don't go to Cambridge I can tell you all about my experience of living and studying in the UK.

I wish you all the best and feel free to pm me as well really
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Born in lovely little Delft, and planning to move to the UK next summer. Not to Cambridge though, I only have the Dutch thing covered

ReputationRep:
    Ja hier! Kan Nederlands spreken maar ik ga niet naar Cambridge :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I think we shoould get some of those Dutch people on here.I have a Dutch friend in Holland suprise.He is about 14 and speaks near perfect English with a cool accent.Is English a second language because most Dutch I speak to on xbox speak English.If anyones up for it we could go on a Dutch website and take some back to the TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    Oh I think we shoould get some of those Dutch people on here.I have a Dutch friend in Holland suprise.He is about 14 and speaks near perfect English with a cool accent.Is English a second language because most Dutch I speak to on xbox speak English.If anyones up for it we could go on a Dutch website and take some back to the TSR.
    Dutch people can speak really good English, because it is taught better in their high schools at a more advanced level. My childhood friend who has never been to England can speak very good English and I speak to her as if she is just an English person.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Huh? I thought English was the second language anyway. Besides, Holland's so small, we need to know the languages of our big brothers to survive. It's gone with the VOC times...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seentje)
    Born in lovely little Delft, and planning to move to the UK next summer. Not to Cambridge though, I only have the Dutch thing covered
    Delft is a lovely place
    Must say that IKEA makes it worth visiting even more.. lol

Dutch kids start learning English at a very young age and is a compulsory subject even in secondary education. Another major factor is the huge amounts of English on Dutch TV/radio etc. Most programmes are subtitled so Dutch kids get exposed to English so much at such a young age. I think that alone makes a huge difference.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, the wonders of IKEA. It even has it's own exit road

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faith01)
    Dutch people can speak really good English, because it is taught better in their high schools at a more advanced level. My childhood friend who has never been to England can speak very good English and I speak to her as if she is just an English person.
    Thanks for clarifying.I dunno why there's an angry face smiley on my post though I didn't press it lol

ReputationRep:
    Huh? I thought English was the second language anyway. Besides, Holland's so small, we need to know the languages of our big brothers to survive. It's gone with the VOC times...

Hey. I guess were all hiding behind America.Lol What would we do without consant airstrikes in the middle east.And Mcdonalds and Dodge vipers.

Oh America you're so nice to us.
    Well it's strenght in numbers now EU and Nato.
    If you have a small country,what the hell is Luxembourg

Regards Tom
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)

Dutch kids start learning English at a very young age and is a compulsory subject even in secondary education. Another major factor is the huge amounts of English on Dutch TV/radio etc. Most programmes are subtitled so Dutch kids get exposed to English so much at such a young age. I think that alone makes a huge difference.
    I must say though that, Dutch people are very divided in terms of education. The people in your circle and the people you see here probably belong to the 'upper' class of education. Most average people in Holland speak English, but not nearly as well.

ReputationRep:
    What are you studying OP? Have you finished VWO (saw it from your profile) or are you currently studying at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    I must say though that, Dutch people are very divided in terms of education. The people in your circle and the people you see here probably belong to the 'upper' class of education. Most average people in Holland speak English, but not nearly as well.
    Well I guess you do got a point. It's just that if you look at for example German or French kids (no offence), Dutch kids are more advanced in their English from a younger age. Obviously like you said that doesn't mean every single person in the Netherlands speaks English fluently.. but! I think the majority will understand you and could probably save themselves on a holiday in the UK.

Maybe I'm biased though ^^ It's just that my little sisters get English at school and often watch subtitled English programmes and I think that really improves their English. I could probably do with watching Dutch programmes to improve my Dutch haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    Hello!

I'm half Dutch. Going to Haaren at Christmas
    But I've lived here since I was five.
    You mean Haren in Groningen? I know that place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DutchDreamer)
    You mean Haren in Groningen? I know that place
    Yes, the very place! My aunt and grandmother live there, and I have a few people living in Zeeland and Ter Apel, Den Haag. I was born in Maastricht
    If I were you...I would stay there!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm Dutch, and applying for a masters in the uk for 2011

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.