Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this would be better off in the physics forum because it's quantum mechanics, but seeing this is for a compulsory module in my chemistry degree I'll try here first :s

Using integration on the normalised equation I found the probability of finding a particle trapped between two infinitely high potential energy barriers separated by length L at n=1.

The sum of the probabilities from a) x=0 to x=L/3 and b) x=L/3 to x=L/2 is 1/4. So logically the probability of finding the particle from x=L/2 to x=L would also be 1/4 (is this correct?)

Therefore the probability of finding the particle in x=0 to x=L is 1/2. This confuses me. Is it because this is n=1 and the probability of finding it at n=2 is 1/4, n=3 is 1/8 and so on? Or have I just done the integration wrong

ReputationRep:
    Have you determined the normalisation constant? The probability really should be 1 between x = 0 and x = L :yes:

Your integral should look like this:

N^2 \displaystyle\int^L_0 (sin^2 (\frac{n \pi x}{L})) dx = 1

ReputationRep:
    I got the integration totally wrong, it was for the n=2 level and I decided to cancel out a couple of things where I shouldn't have lol. In the end I did get a result that = 1, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, sure because you shouldn't have gotten those values for the probabilities in those ranges :nah:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.