University Tuition Fees – For or Against Watch

This discussion is closed.
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Tony Blair wants to raise the price of tuition fees. Are you for this idea or against it?
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
against...

but i think pay afterwards is a much better idea.

love Katy ***
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Against. Because 65,000 other students will be rushing to UNI as the same time as to avoid the student fees. So increasing competition by a lot.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Against because people on the dole don't have to pay their money back when they got a job so why should students? I am not against the idea of having to pay more towards my study, I know universties need more money, but I just feel I am paying for silly things like the Aimhigher scam.
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Against however I think the current rate should stay.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am really in two minds about this - do you ask people for £1200 per year (approx.) when they are struggeling or £3000 per year when they are earning a salary?

The problem seems to be that we now have so many "universities" offering so many "courses" that loads of people want to go. As a result of this the system cant cope and needs to find extra funds. The most logical place to find these extra funds is the people who are benefitting from the education - the student. This could also serve to make people think twice about if a course will really benefit them or not.

To cap it all in Scotland it is still FREE!
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Personally, from the point of view of someone who expects and hopes to get a good degree from a good university followed by a good well paid job, I don't care how much I'm charged if the student loan covers it. It's the best loan I'll ever get, and if I was able to get £50k from the student loan then I would, happily.

Private schools charge £18k+ a year. Why shouldn't unis?
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i am for student fees. universities are falling apart coz thry havent got enough money and we're falling further and further behind american unis... we get so much out of having an education - why shoudnt we pay for it?

people are saying - yeees the way forward is getting more international students- but y wud they pay £30,000 for a degree wen the institutions are about to go bankrupt and they could hav state of the art facilities etc... if they went to an american uni? and isnt the uni system for us? why is every1 so against saving universities i dont understand it.

another probelm in my opinion is the number of 'useless degrees'. with the whole'must get 50% of people into uni', people feel that aslong as they hav a degree its ok and they dont understand that some degrees can b a waste of 3 years of ur life. u dont end up with a decent job at the end of it and withthe current system ud b about £15000 in debt. i think that the govt shud scrap the 50% into uni rubbish... people shud go to uni because they want to not because schools force them to so the govt can hav their numbers.
as someone previously said, the higher fees would make people think twice before enrolling on a course that is wasting time,wasting funds and wasting a good 3 years of sum1's life.

another option i think there is, is shutting down the universities that are right at the bottom and well... arent doing any1 any good. this would allow funds that would hav previously have gone to them to be shared among other universities.

the topup fees wont solve everything. if i read rightly, the unis will hav an extra £1.something billion, but the actualamount that they need is about £9.4 billion. do people not care about their universities? this whole forum is about wer people want to go and which ones r the best.. surely we shud pay for the privilege of going to these unis.

the previous post says it perfectly.
but about the £3000 wen ur earning a salary...the amount that u pay back a year is tiiiny, sumwer they sed how u wud pay it back and seriously it was a v small amount a year and even if ur earning £15000 a year it wudnt cripple u in any way...

i no its only 9 in the morning but im sooooooo tired which explains for the lack of eloquence in what im saying and making it sound like a decent argument but i had to say something....please dont rip me apart....
KrazyAngel1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm against as it will only encourage elitism in unis. If the Russell Group decide to charge higher fees then it will put a lot of people off of applying to them. The government shouldn't be trying to get 50% of people into education if they can't find the resources for it. I think the fees we have got now are at the right level.
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The worst thing is poorer students pay nothing, middle people pay it all.

So a poorer student could be in a higher earning job than a middle class student afterwards, but the poorer student would be paying nothing and the middle one paying back 25grand!
KrazyAngel1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Peapod)
The worst thing is poorer students pay nothing, middle people pay it all.

So a poorer student could be in a higher earning job than a middle class student afterwards, but the poorer student would be paying nothing and the middle one paying back 25grand!
i agree , its the middle class that are going to be hit the hardest
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For.
old tymers who don't have kids shouldn't have to pay, besides for most jobs you don't really need a degree (i.e. burgerking). anyway its either tuition fees or raise taxes, and most people don't like taxes.
zero101
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by KrazyAngel1)
I'm against as it will only encourage elitism in unis. If the Russell Group decide to charge higher fees then it will put a lot of people off of applying to them. The government shouldn't be trying to get 50% of people into education if they can't find the resources for it. I think the fees we have got now are at the right level.
why would it discourage people, when they don't pay it back till they're earning 15k
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by boygenious)
For.
old tymers who don't have kids shouldn't have to pay, besides for most jobs you don't really need a degree (i.e. burgerking). anyway its either tuition fees or raise taxes, and most people don't like taxes.
In the next 10 years 80% of new jobs created will require a higher education qualification. These days you would be amazed what you need a degree for. Its virtualy impossible to get a decent job in the software/multimedia industries without a degree now.

My dad used to be a librarian you need a degree for that job now.
Worried
Report 16 years ago
Against! Higher taxes, less tuition fees.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think Universities are in dire need of extra funding.

I fundamentally disagree with the proposals put forward by the Labour party. Just because there was a failure to tax those of the grant scheme they are now proposing to increase the burden on the children of that generation. I don't regard that as fair, even if I don't have to pay the higher rates myself. I also don't agree with the direction it is taking universities in this country. It's a matter of principles.

Alaric.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
In the next 10 years 80% of new jobs created will require a higher education qualification. These days you would be amazed what you need a degree for. Its virtualy impossible to get a decent job in the software/multimedia industries without a degree now.

My dad used to be a librarian you need a degree for that job now.
Unfortunately - the more there is of something, the less valuable it is.

J.
KrazyAngel1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by zero101)
why would it discourage people, when they don't pay it back till they're earning 15k
A lot of people won't like the idea of graduating with a huge debt hanging over them. They will want to get on with their lives e.g buy houses, get married, have kids, so if they've also got a debt to worry about things will be a lot harder. I know the debt won't be there forever, but a lot of people have a fear of it. Lets face it nobody wants to have that much debt.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (152)
61.04%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.42%
No- I want it (69)
27.71%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.83%

Watched Threads