Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA Texts for English Literature AS Level - advice please! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying AQA AS Level English Literature and my topic is Victorian literature - I've read as many books/plays/poems and tried to memorise useful quotes from them, but I struggle with some genres, for example, I find Victorian poems easier to find and remember than drama. Has anyone got any advice/studied this specification? Also, do you think it would be okay to just reference one or two titles from each reading genre (poetry, prose and drama) or should I learn more?

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you have several examples of poetry, drama and prose under the different aspects of Victorian life. It can be really hard to find Victorian drama because it was the age of the novel, so I really do sympathise. Here are some suggestions:

Drama
    A Woman of no Importance (Wilde) - women's rights, the poor/self-help
    Mrs Warren's Profession (G.B. Shaw) - "
    A Doll's House

Because there is so little in the way of drama, and what there is of it focuses mostly on women's rights, I would use prose and poetry to the best of my advantage thematically but try to bring in drama as much as possible in terms of form, structure and language. It isn't ideal but everyone's in the same boat, so the examiners are bound to be leniant. I made a very trite comparision to AWONI last year and that was that for my drama wider reading, and I managed to get an A, so that just shows they're quite generous.

Have a lot of context up your sleeve to wow them with.

And did you know you can bring in modern neo-victorian literature? Master Georgie by Beryl Bainbridge would be an excellent one to bring in, because it deals with war, colonialism, travel, religion and science. All those trickier themes to find in literature. However, it would probably be sensible to check them over with your teacher first - they would need to be respected, literary works.

I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booksnob)
    Just make sure you have several examples of poetry, drama and prose under the different aspects of Victorian life. It can be really hard to find Victorian drama because it was the age of the novel, so I really do sympathise. Here are some suggestions:

Drama
    A Woman of no Importance (Wilde) - women's rights, the poor/self-help
    Mrs Warren's Profession (G.B. Shaw) - "
    A Doll's House

Because there is so little in the way of drama, and what there is of it focuses mostly on women's rights, I would use prose and poetry to the best of my advantage thematically but try to bring in drama as much as possible in terms of form, structure and language. It isn't ideal but everyone's in the same boat, so the examiners are bound to be leniant. I made a very trite comparision to AWONI last year and that was that for my drama wider reading, and I managed to get an A, so that just shows they're quite generous.

Have a lot of context up your sleeve to wow them with.

And did you know you can bring in modern neo-victorian literature? Master Georgie by Beryl Bainbridge would be an excellent one to bring in, because it deals with war, colonialism, travel, religion and science. All those trickier themes to find in literature. However, it would probably be sensible to check them over with your teacher first - they would need to be respected, literary works.

I hope this helps
    Thank you, that's very helpful. I've written a list but A Woman of No Importance isn't on it, so I'll add that straight away. And thanks for the tip about modern literature set in the Victorian age. I'm re-sitting this exam next month (so very nervous!) and the first time, I managed to completely miss out any reference to drama. I was also told that the wider reading I used was more like references than actual links, so I'm making a real effort to try to link things together thematically this time!

I also need some advice on Hardy poetry - I've got the Everyman Norman Page collection of his poems and I am concentrating on the list of poems that AQA has set. However, there's such a huge amount to remember that I'm finding it difficult to write in-depth notes on every poem in the AQA list.

I have read them all and also classified them under headings such as "Love", "War" and "Themes of religion", and I have made a few notes on poems that I'm not as familiar with as others.

What would you recommend doing in order to memorise/get to know the set poems as well as possible?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that's very helpful. I've written a list but A Woman of No Importance isn't on it, so I'll add that straight away. And thanks for the tip about modern literature set in the Victorian age. I'm re-sitting this exam next month (so very nervous!) and the first time, I managed to completely miss out any reference to drama. I was also told that the wider reading I used was more like references than actual links, so I'm making a real effort to try to link things together thematically this time!
    Yes, I've been told it's better to focus on a small number of texts in detail than lots of texts superficially. Try to link your texts to each other as well, so that you have some ideas up your sleeve before you start the exam. Poor you, having to resit - it's hard enough doing AS, let alone combined with A2. I would ask your teachers about some more drama wider reading that covers topics such as the industrial revolution/technological progress.

(Original post by Freaked_outStudent)
    I also need some advice on Hardy poetry - I've got the Everyman Norman Page collection of his poems and I am concentrating on the list of poems that AQA has set. However, there's such a huge amount to remember that I'm finding it difficult to write in-depth notes on every poem in the AQA list.

I have read them all and also classified them under headings such as "Love", "War" and "Themes of religion", and I have made a few notes on poems that I'm not as familiar with as others.

What would you recommend doing in order to memorise/get to know the set poems as well as possible?
    How many are you doing? I think we had to analyse fifty, but if you choose to answer the question in which you can bring in any poem you want, you could focus more on several ones that cover a range of topics? I'm not sure how to memorise them perfectly. I just annotated them and then read on my notes, but did lots of practise essays so that by exam time it was all there.

I have written some notes on quite a lot of Hardy poems on my blog (see sig) if you'd like to take a look. I don't know if they're the ones you're doing but I've got the major ones like Castle Boterel.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.