Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Some weird **** is going on.
    yesterday my computer started saying it was running out of ram and I think I allowed a few dodgy processes through my firewall.

I keep seeing the green disk light flashing on my pc like there is something in my floppy drive or it is doing a scan.

Malware Antiware bytes is doing a scan now. I tried running an AVG one but I cannot find the program anymore, just a broken folder.

Also Malware AB keeps picing up bad processes trying to use ieexplorer.exe. My IE explorer hasn't worked for months and so I think I have some bad stuff on my PC.

wat do?

ReputationRep:
    Do a search for ieexplorer.exe, kill it as a task then delete it. It's adware (going off top 3 google hits).

ReputationRep:
    I just imagined reading the OP as a person from 100 years ago. It doesn't make any sense.

ReputationRep:
    If you're willing to spend some time then the best bet is to backup any important documents etc onto seperate media (removable drive etc.)

Reinstall windows (hopefully you have a rescue CD or recovery partitiion) If done correctly this should wipe everything off your computer. Install good anti virus / anti malware software. Install all the updates for your computer. Then install other software from good media (initial CD's it came with or from the vendors website)

Copy back the important docs.

Don't download software from torrent sites etc. as they can often have viruses etc. on them.

Be very careful of any media you put in before the computer is patched and AV software is installed.

This can take a while to complete anywhere from a couple of hours to a day. But you will find your machine works a lot better after it's been done.

You may want to make sure you know all the hardware that's inside your computer before starting. If you've not added any hardware and you've got a recovery disk then that should include all the drivers. If you only have a basic windows disk and/or you've changed any hardware you might have to download seperate drivers.

If you don't want to go through all that process you can try cleaning up your system but it can be difficult to know you've got everything bad off your computer.

ReputationRep:
    Probs is mate. Unlucky

ReputationRep:
    What's your operating system?
    laptop or Desktop?

ReputationRep:
    So I've been neg repped for what? Asking a question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    So I've been neg repped for what? Asking a question?
    That is hilarious. Someone probably thought you were asking if the OS was a laptop or deskstop haha.

BTW probablem fixed somehow. Had like 5 BSODs then I prayed hard and put in windows disk to repair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    That is hilarious. Someone probably thought you were asking if the OS was a laptop or deskstop haha.

BTW probablem fixed somehow. Had like 5 BSODs then I prayed hard and put in windows disk to repair.
    good to hear

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.