Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I am currently deciding where I want to go to uni, and I was wondering what kind of factors people have taken into consideration. My school went as far as to say we should even think about weather since we'd be moving from such a humid climate [I'm an Australian living in Asia with originally British parents...]

The three countries I'm mainly considering are US/UK/Australia. Also - I'm doing the IB Diploma. This will mean that I'll have to take extra exams for applying to the US, and even maybe for some uni's in the UK. I have seen quite a few Forums about this topic, but they were from 2/3 years ago now., so hopefully I'll get some new contributions

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amykc)
    Hey there,

I am currently deciding where I want to go to uni, and I was wondering what kind of factors people have taken into consideration. My school went as far as to say we should even think about weather since we'd be moving from such a humid climate [I'm an Australian living in Asia with originally British parents...]

The three countries I'm mainly considering are US/UK/Australia. Also - I'm doing the IB Diploma. This will mean that I'll have to take extra exams for applying to the US, and even maybe for some uni's in the UK. I have seen quite a few Forums about this topic, but they were from 2/3 years ago now., so hopefully I'll get some new contributions

Thanks a lot!
    What course? What are your career aspirations?

If you want to work in Europe- Go to UK
    If you want to work in Asia- Go to Australia
    If you want to work in North America- Go to US

Take into account finances as well. Australia would be cheapest for you and US the most expensive (probably around 200k USD for a degree if you can't get a scholarship).

ReputationRep:
    wow your experience sounds really cool
    must be a lota fun travelling around

anyways usa=austrailia>uk... the weather is really nasty at least from what i hear

ReputationRep:
    I can help (ish) for Australia, as i'm australian and going to an australian uni next year.

Just a general comparison on admissions processes:

Australia's is the easiest, because apart from medicine you don't need to do any interviews/personal statements/extra admissions tests. You simply apply and if you get the required mark, you are in. Having said that, this has advantages and disadvantages; it leads to much harder entry to courses such as law at the top australian uni's (e.g. for Usyd and UNSW law, which are two of the best in australia, you need an IB score of 44 and 43 respectively to get in, which is more than Oxbridge requires). Also undergraduate medicine is incredibly hard to get into.

Additionally, for subjects like law/medicine, many australian uni's will require you to do them as a double degree (so essentially you do the degrees as a graduate), so for example i've applied to study Arts/Law, and you can also do Economics/Law, Commerce/Law, IR/Law etc., same for medicine (although at UNSW you can study med straight).

Internationally, a lot of Australian universities are really well ranked, I think that ANU, USyd, Umelb and perhaps UNSW are all in the top 50 in the world, and good at a range of subjects. The top uni's are not too hard to get into either; for bachelor of arts at USyd (where you can choose to study almost every subject, including sciences and maths) you need an ATAR of 84.00 which is equivalent to IB30 IIRC. Note that the conversion changes each year for IB-ATAR.

Also, you get more choices for courses in UAC (australian UCAS) than UCAS; you have 9 preferences, and they can be changed up to Jan 6th, and the first round of offers are released on the 17th, then I think there are three or four more rounds of offers after that. All offers are released after results (HSC results come out on the 16th Dec, IB 4th jan) so you can change your preferences according to what you receive, so you can guarantee that you get an offer.

Additionally, the courses you apply for tend to have more freedom than UK; where in the UK you would just apply for law, or for french or chemistry etc., in Australia it is more varied and wide. As an example, of my 9 preferences, i've applied for Arts/Law, Arts (languages), International and Global Studies, Bachelor of Arts and Science, Bachelor of Science, so a range of subjects. If I get into my top preference (Arts/Law and Sydney, I can do at least two major for the Arts degree so come out with a Law degree, and an English and japanese degree, or a French and Chemistry degree for example (the second arts major can be a science or maths-type subject).

IMO, the Australian climate is way better than the English, unless you like the cold and snow and rain.

Anyway, I hope that helps somewhat, it is kind of an overview of the aus admissions process which IMO is easier and has more choice than the US and UK systems. Also Australian uni fees are lower than UK and US (ranging from $4K to $8K a year for aus and NZ citizens, subjects like maths/science are the cheapest I think) and won't be going up anytime soon.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.