Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have missed tutorials, what should I do? (Desperately need advice) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student. I started the second year of my degree this year.

I have not adjusted well to uni life. I didn't go to most of my tutorials in the first year either, but i managed to pass everything by attending lectures and using material on webct. I have not made any friends or have anyone to hang out with because i basically avoided social situations. i have developed a slight phobia of being in social situations because of this. It makes me really uncomfortable to be around a lot of people and has even given me facial twitches a few times. Even though i have always been shy, i have never had twiches and I don't know whether i should laugh about it or be upset...
    Anyhow I missed, deliberately, most of my tutorials and I don't know if I can pass my second year exams by working on my own. I actually do want to go to my tutorials because once i go a few times, the social phobia decreases and I feel more confident about the course material and i feel good that I am attending. When I don't go, I feel depressed and guilty and constantly worried about whether the uni is going to kick me out or worrying about how I am going to pass my exams and how much I am betraying my parents..
    Should I just show up unannounced to my tutorials 2 weeks before the term ends, having missed almost all of the term? Or should I contact someone at uni and say i have had a stressful time and missed tutorials and need help catching up? OR should I just try to do the jan exams on my own and start going to tutorials next term?
    I would really appreciate any advice. I don't have anywhere else to turn to for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usern)
    I am an international student. I started the second year of my degree this year.

I have not adjusted well to uni life. I didn't go to most of my tutorials in the first year either, but i managed to pass everything by attending lectures and using material on webct. I have not made any friends or have anyone to hang out with because i basically avoided social situations. i have developed a slight phobia of being in social situations because of this. It makes me really uncomfortable to be around a lot of people and has even given me facial twitches a few times. Even though i have always been shy, i have never had twiches and I don't know whether i should laugh about it or be upset...
    Anyhow I missed, deliberately, most of my tutorials and I don't know if I can pass my second year exams by working on my own. I actually do want to go to my tutorials because once i go a few times, the social phobia decreases and I feel more confident about the course material and i feel good that I am attending. When I don't go, I feel depressed and guilty and constantly worried about whether the uni is going to kick me out or worrying about how I am going to pass my exams and how much I am betraying my parents..
    Should I just show up unannounced to my tutorials 2 weeks before the term ends, having missed almost all of the term? Or should I contact someone at uni and say i have had a stressful time and missed tutorials and need help catching up? OR should I just try to do the jan exams on my own and start going to tutorials next term?
    I would really appreciate any advice. I don't have anywhere else to turn to for it.
    I think that you should email someone (preferably the person who you have the tutorial with) and explain all of this to them. They will be able to help you and understand your situation as to why you havn't been going to the tutorials. Then, make sure you start going to them as it isn't worth the guilt and stress you feel by not doing so and they have a positive impact on you feeling better in social situations.

Also in the future, try to force yourself to enter social situations no matter how awful you find them as you'll find that you WILL start to feel more relaxed and make new friends or at least meet new people.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was in your situation and I made it worse like you by never going, it just builds up the fear. I have now quit university and am going back next year and making sure I go to all my classes so I meet people and won't fall behind. You really are just going to have to go in to the class, I know how hard it is as I could not bring myself to do it either as I knew they be judging me. But your nearly there so just go in, force yourself. Dont drop out like I did. I feel so pathetic

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, to both replies. I sent an e-mail to my tutor but i don't know what will happen with regards to some of my units which required attendance.
    Sorry to here we share similar experiences rebecca. I just hope they don't kick me out...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.