Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I apply for a course in BEng and then want to do MEng after 3rd year will it count as postgraduate.

Okay.. some uni's i'm applying to don't do MEng at all, So can I transfer to a different uni after my BEng degree. How will that work.? Can I do just one year in a different uni for MEng? Because the MEng degree's are like 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    Some if not most uni's who do both Batchelor and Masters course do allow you to transfer from BEng to MEng after first year providing you do well enough!

Not sure about the rest, I would think it would count though.

ReputationRep:
    Can't speak for other unis, but for Loughborough, if you achieve an overall average year mark of at least 55% in your first year then you can transfer from BEng to MEng (and it also works two ways, if you are on MEng and do badly you get demoted to BEng).

It's also possible to do this in second year, however it's much harder as this is at the discretion of the programme leader and in the case of exceptional performance, so only a couple per year manage this.

I'm not sure about doing a BEng in one place and an MEng in another, I have never heard of anyone do that before. So I would say no it wouldn't be possible. If you are intending to go to MEng from BEng it's probably best if you go to a uni that offers both.

ReputationRep:
    You are deluding yourself if you think it is a postgraduate qualification!
    It isn't.
    It is an undergraduate degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    You are deluding yourself if you think it is a postgraduate qualification!
    It isn't.
    It is an undergraduate degree.
    So is it better to do BEng at a uni which does MEng to.. because I can only only to BEng as requirements match only. If I want to do MEng I can switch to it only if the uni has that available program right?

Can I get a transfer from BEng to MEng both in the same uni or transfer to another uni?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, didn't want to make a new thread so I just write it here.

I'm currently applying for uni, my choice is Computer Science (preferably at Queens, Beflast)

The only thing that I was confused with was the BEng and MEng courses. I couldn't decide for which one I should go. I'm sending my application next week and I want to make sure that I'll make the right choice. The grades needed to apply for both types of courses doesn't make a difference to me as I meet both requirements. The thing is, which course will be a better choice.

I've talked to my careers adviser at school to clear this up. I've asked if MEng degree will make me more employable in the future than the BEng course. I've got the answer that it will not make hugh difference in the future job application whether I'll hold a BEng or MEng degree.

I would like to ask students that study CS at the uni's to say which BEng or MEng is a better option to go for and if I go for the MEng will this give me any advantage over people with BEng, in other words is the MEng worth of choosing and staying that one year longer at the uni or is it not that much of a difference.

I add that as for now I plan to go straight to work after I graduate and I don't plan to stay and do postgraduate at uni but want rather to go to some sort of employment.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to work as an Engineer an Meng is required now as so many of Engineering graduates have an Meng, if you wish to get an Engineering degree and then convert to another subject or work in finance a Beng will do.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to do a degree at then try to go and work in one of the computer based company's such as Liberty IT (just an example)

Having this approach what would be a better choice ? a BEng with a placement year (4yr) or a MEng with a placement year (5yr) ?

Is there a much difference between holding a BEng degree rather than a MEng degree where it comes to trying to get employed after you gradaute ? I ask specifically about Computer Science degrees. Is this extra year doing MEng degree worth it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecure22)
    I would like to do a degree at then try to go and work in one of the computer based company's such as Liberty IT (just an example)

Having this approach what would be a better choice ? a BEng with a placement year (4yr) or a MEng with a placement year (5yr) ?

Is there a much difference between holding a BEng degree rather than a MEng degree where it comes to trying to get employed after you gradaute ? I ask specifically about Computer Science degrees. Is this extra year doing MEng degree worth it ?
    Did you bother to read my post, the one above, before posting that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlo08)
    Did you bother to read my post, the one above, before posting that?
    You're discussing engineering, whilst he's talking about computer science - maybe it wasn't clear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    You're discussing engineering, whilst he's talking about computer science - maybe it wasn't clear?
    Computer Science is a form of Engineering hence the Beng/Meng degrees

ReputationRep:
    BEng - Undergraduate bachelors
    MEng - Undergraduate masters
    MSc - Postgraduate masters

ReputationRep:
    BEng = Bachelor of Engineering = 3 years undergraduate degree
    MEng = Master of Engineering = 4 years undergraduate degree
    MSc = Master of Science = 1/2 years postgraduate gegree

To get chartered (the vast majority of engineers get chartered AFAIK) you'd need to do either the MEng or the BEng+a relevant MSc.

(Original post by thecure22)
    Hi, didn't want to make a new thread so I just write it here.

I'm currently applying for uni, my choice is Computer Science (preferably at Queens, Beflast)

The only thing that I was confused with was the BEng and MEng courses. I couldn't decide for which one I should go. I'm sending my application next week and I want to make sure that I'll make the right choice. The grades needed to apply for both types of courses doesn't make a difference to me as I meet both requirements. The thing is, which course will be a better choice.

I've talked to my careers adviser at school to clear this up. I've asked if MEng degree will make me more employable in the future than the BEng course. I've got the answer that it will not make hugh difference in the future job application whether I'll hold a BEng or MEng degree.

I would like to ask students that study CS at the uni's to say which BEng or MEng is a better option to go for and if I go for the MEng will this give me any advantage over people with BEng, in other words is the MEng worth of choosing and staying that one year longer at the uni or is it not that much of a difference.

I add that as for now I plan to go straight to work after I graduate and I don't plan to stay and do postgraduate at uni but want rather to go to some sort of employment.
    A word of warning: do NOT listen to what careers advisors say, they usually know **** all.

Do the MEng if possible. A number of engineers I've spoken to have described the MEng as becoming the "industry standard" for work in the engineering sector- it WILL affect your job prospects which one you do. The vast majority of engineers I met at my work experience entered the engineering sector with an MEng and went on to become chartered.

(Original post by TheSownRose)
    Computer Science is often considered a subset of Engineering, hence why you get Computer Science BEng (BEng = Bachelor of Engineering) degrees.

ReputationRep:
    If your university is offering MEng courses, then you can enrol onto MEng from day 1 of your BEng. Then you must maintain a specific threshold, usually above 70% to keep your place on the MEng. Otherwise you can apply to other universities near completion of your BEng and I'm sure your transferral will be accepted if you perform well.

Out of curiosity why do you want to do the MEng. Is there a specific reason, I'm asking because you can also do the MSc.

The MEng and MSc are not the same, MEng is a taught course and maintains a UG classification even though its PG study. Whereas MSc is research based and requires a higher level of self/independant study, it is classified as PG and more well known internationally.

If your planning to stay in the UK and not too worried about demonstrating research abilities then MEng is good enough. I'm in my final year so I'm still deciding wether do do MSc or MEng.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlo08)
    Computer Science is a form of Engineering hence the Beng/Meng degrees
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Computer Science is often considered a subset of Engineering, hence why you get Computer Science BEng (BEng = Bachelor of Engineering) degrees.
    But I was wondering if it maybe wasn't clear to him? Then again, got to ask if he should be doing the degree if he doesn't know that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    If your university is offering MEng courses, then you can enrol onto MEng from day 1 of your BEng. Then you must maintain a specific threshold, usually above 70% to keep your place on the MEng. Otherwise you can apply to other universities near completion of your BEng and I'm sure your transferral will be accepted if you perform well.

Out of curiosity why do you want to do the MEng. Is there a specific reason, I'm asking because you can also do the MSc.

The MEng and MSc are not the same, MEng is a taught course and maintains a UG classification even though its PG study. Whereas MSc is research based and requires a higher level of self/independant study, it is classified as PG and more well known internationally.

If your planning to stay in the UK and not too worried about demonstrating research abilities then MEng is good enough. I'm in my final year so I'm still deciding wether do do MSc or MEng.

People on here are saying the MEng is better than BEng and good uni's like oxford only offer MEng so i'm guessing it's more worth it. But... good to know there's something called the MSc... I'll look into that after I start uni.. because as you said I can change things around whilst i'm doing BEng. I see. umm I'm not sure if I want to do something science related or engineerng related in terms of the MEng or MSc. maybe because I don't know much about the engineering course. Good luck deciding . Hope you make the right decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaya1)
    People on here are saying the MEng is better than BEng and good uni's like oxford only offer MEng so i'm guessing it's more worth it. But... good to know there's something called the MSc... I'll look into that after I start uni.. because as you said I can change things around whilst i'm doing BEng. I see. umm I'm not sure if I want to do something science related or engineerng related in terms of the MEng or MSc. maybe because I don't know much about the engineering course. Good luck deciding . Hope you make the right decision.
    The main thing you need to know is that MEng is not PostGrad and the MSc is PostGrad. Plus, like someone rightly pointed out, the MEng will fast track you to Chartered status since it covers all the academic requirements for becoming chartered. i.e. after MEng you only need to cover industry requirement, which is basically to gain enough work experience in industry.

Although I'm still more inclined to the MSc despite what people say. The fact remains, on an international level the MSc has more credibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)

I'm deciding between MEng and BEng and not MSc because the uni I want to go offers MSc Computer Science but only with Mathematics where I want to focus on Computer Science itself. And MSc is a PostGrad anyway.

I know that I can transfer from BEng to MEng but I want to save myself time doing that and decide between them before I start the course.

My predicted grades are good enough to apply for MEng and be quite confident of getting conditional offer.

Thanks for clearing things up because I was a bit confused when I asked my careers advisor "Will graduating with the MEng degree give me any advantage over graduates with BEng degree where it comes to applying for a job'' and I got answer "no".

I'll probably go for MEng course with a placement year which will take a total time of 5 years to graduate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.