Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Newly Released Information Regarding RAF Officer, WSOp and NCO ATC Recruitment Watch

ReputationRep:
    Information acquired from personnel working within RAF Recruitment:

OFFICER

Due to the fewer officer vacancies currently within the RAF, it has been decided that for applications processed from 1 Jan 1011, the academic requirement will be increased to 2 x 'A' levels grade A-C and 5 x GCSC grades A-C. For the aptitude branches (Pilot, ABM, ATC & Int), the maths must be at least grade B.

NON-COMMISSIONED AIRCREW/SNCO ATC

The withdrawal of the Nimrod aircraft has seen a reduction in the requirement for WSOps hence for the foreseeable future we will not be recruiting for this role. When we do recommence, the academic requirement will remain at 5 x GCSE Grade A-C, one of which must be maths at grade B. NCO ATC will also have this increased academic requirement.

A note on Pilot recruitment:

Due to the withdrawal of the Harrier and Nimrod aircraft from Service it is not envisaged that any new recruit pilots will commence employment in the RAF before July 2012. Potential pilots may still be processed by RAF Recruiting and passed to OASC, providing they meet the new educational criteria, but they are to be informed throughout the process that even if successful they will not commence Initial Officer Training until at least 2012. The age restrictions on pilots will not be waived so a candidate who will be 26 prior to starting training in 2012 will unfortunately not be eligible.

Additionally, a trial is about to start whereby some Officer Applicants will have to undergo the AST - the test normally only undertaken by Airmen applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Pilot stuff seconded by other sources :top:

ReputationRep:
    Im applying for WSOp, aptitude tests booked. Im assuming that my application won't be withdrawn?

ReputationRep:
    Application won't be withdrawn, no, but if you're offered a place it may be some time off in the distance.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, fab. The distance I can live with. Getting so far through the process and then having the oppertunity disappear I couldn't.

But thus is life!

ReputationRep:
    Just appreciate now that the odds of getting through are slimmer than they've ever been. The RAF can afford to be pickier than they've been in a long time - and they will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    it is not envisaged that any new recruit pilots will commence employment in the RAF before July 2012.
    I appreciate that this will be incredibly bad news for some people on this forum and hopefully those wanting to get in will still be able to after this date.

...But from somebody in the flying training system at the moment...

Thank f*ck for that!

ReputationRep:
    Thats literally my dream down the ****ter then.

Ah well as said the RAF can be picky and its up to them at the end of the day.

Time to get back to the drawing board and find myself another career to look into.

All the very best to those who have been successful thus far and I wish all the very best for the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WILSON92)
    Thats literally my dream down the ****ter then.

Ah well as said the RAF can be picky and its up to them at the end of the day.

Time to get back to the drawing board and find myself another career to look into.

All the very best to those who have been successful thus far and I wish all the very best for the future.
    No harm in carrying on mate. Consider the higher odds just another method of selection. People who give up and don't continue their application as a result of hearing that it's harder to get in are doing OASCs job for them.

Rather be told by someone up front that I'm either not good enough or "sorry, there are no jobs going" than to autonomously decide it's all just too difficult!

Chin up!

ReputationRep:
    No harm in carrying on mate. Consider the higher odds just another method of selection. People who give up and don't continue their application as a result of hearing that it's harder to get in are doing OASCs job for them.

Rather be told by someone up front that I'm either not good enough or "sorry, there are no jobs going" than to autonomously decide it's all just too difficult!

Chin up!
    Yeh very true, however I have had my sights on a career in the Merchant Navy as a Deck Officer, I've applied to over 15 companies so hopefully one will reply at least .

Schleigg, Are you in the RAF or in the position of applying also?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Educational/Pilot information also confirmed due to a Sgt at the AFCO telling me the same thing over the phone today, to check I met the requirements.

This is my first post here as well, so hello!

I'm already serving within the RAF as an Airman, and currently going through my second application for Pilot & ABM. I went to OASC last year in December and was encouraged to return in a years time, hence the second application. Apparently it is very common for RAF personnel looking for commission to be sent back (around 70%), it's more or less part of the test just in case the individual fancies a change or something apparently.

Either way, filter interview is on thursday - hopefully I get to go to OASC again before I go to the Falklands next year!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WILSON92)
    Yeh very true, however I have had my sights on a career in the Merchant Navy as a Deck Officer, I've applied to over 15 companies so hopefully one will reply at least .

Schleigg, Are you in the RAF or in the position of applying also?

Thanks
    I am in the enviable position of already being in and trained up, therefore able to give advice without needing to feel the pressure myself. :top:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any idea when the next EFT course is due to start? Is that too likely to be 2012?

ReputationRep:
    Well we had some IOT cadets visit us recently on base, all going for Pilot. So I presume there is going to be an EFT course(s) for them planned. I guess just future Pilot applicants will have to wait till July 2012 to even get on IOT before getting to EFT.

Why you ask?

ReputationRep:
    People in the system have been planned for, whether they be at Filter, OASC or pre-IOT stage, it is people who are know looking at beginning applications who will have the delay.

Friends of mine who've only recently ended IOT and are still waiting EFT will still get their courses in due time [I know several who graduated in Sep but as yet have no dates for groundschool, same will be true about the 3 current IOT courses and most likely the next one] but anybody new to the system will be waiting a long old while.

ReputationRep:
    The next EFT course starts 'flying' 13th Dec. There are others planned after that too. I'm not sure where the cut off is.

ReputationRep:
    Schleigg,

Apologies, may I ask what trade you are in?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You may. GD(P).

ReputationRep:
    It's disapointing to see these changes implemented but understandable with the current economic climate the way it is. Does this mean 2 years worth of pilot applications are going to be squeezed into 1 year of training in 2012 or is it just only half of a years requirement of pilots being accepted each year (if that makes sense).

On a side note what happens to pilots who are of an operational age still but the aircraft they fly are being decommisioned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craglyboy)
    It's disapointing to see these changes implemented but understandable with the current economic climate the way it is. Does this mean 2 years worth of pilot applications are going to be squeezed into 1 year of training in 2012 or is it just only half of a years requirement of pilots being accepted each year (if that makes sense).

On a side note what happens to pilots who are of an operational age still but the aircraft they fly are being decommisioned?
    They either pull contacts and get a job flying another aircraft or they hang up the growbag and get a job in flight safety or something else blue suited and equally inane (compared to flying).

It's a stark reality for a lot of people at the moment. Especially considering the number of aircraft being retired. The market is flooded with F3 and Harrier pilots, as well as Herc K and 'Nimrod pilots. When the Sentinel/ VC10/ Tri* get the plug pulled it's gonna be a slaughterhouse.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.