Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What effects is this dude using? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utXskdOfLTM

right at the start, what the ****? He doesn't seem to be "violining" with the volume knob, so what's happening?

ReputationRep:
    Errr, it's a backing track?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    Errr, it's a backing track?
    What is? Not what I'm thinking of. You can clearly see him using the whammy bar and it alters the sound and I doubt he's miming it.

ReputationRep:
    He's lightly playing single notes and then whammy-ing to give them vibrato/ echo. The violins are on the backing track. He may have some reverb on there as well?

ReputationRep:
    He's lightly playing single notes and then whammy-ing to give them vibrato/ echo. The violins are on the backing track. He may have some reverb on there as well?
    But I can't hear any attack on the notes at all, he's de-guitared it somehow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    But I can't hear any attack on the notes at all, he's de-guitared it somehow.
    By the video maker:

I used a small amount of reverb -- not? much, but for the delay, i think i used a "pan" type delay with one delay running in one channel with a feedback of about 40% to 50% for 400 to 500 ms and then in the other channel, a delay of 700ms with a feedback level of maybe 30%.
    Sounds reasonable. The delay eliminates the *picking* noise if played very gently, if that's what you meant?

ReputationRep:
    yea, cool. Thanks, I didn't notice that

ReputationRep:
    Look at his leg when he plays that beginning bit.

I would say he has a volume pedal. You don't need to do violining on the volume knob to achieve that sound.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like some sort of electric echo effect.

Sounds reasonable. The delay eliminates the *picking* noise if played very gently, if that's what you meant?
      ok no. that's not what delay does. not even remotely.

he's using a volume pedal to get the slow attack sound. it's the classic set up for spacey guitar sounds doing those swells together with some echo and reverb to mask the 'gaps' between the swells.

ReputationRep:
      Reverb and a volume pedal for the start then using the trem bar to get some vibrato. Don't think theres delay there, just really heavy reverb. Hes not picking the strings at all at the start, hes hammering the notes then using the volume pedal and trem bar to get the violin like sound.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.