Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is there a way for me to unpartition my hard drive?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I gave my comp to a computer shop an the guy ended up partioning my hard drive into two ( local disk C and local disk D )
    Is there a way for me to combine them again without my losing any of my stuff on local disk C ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeon Prince)
    I gave my comp to a computer shop an the guy ended up partioning my hard drive into two ( local disk C and local disk D )
    Is there a way for me to combine them again without my losing any of my stuff on local disk C ?
    I assume you mean without losing stuff on local disk D? C is (usually) the windows partition and it would be difficult to remove it and then get it back in the same state - what should be easier is to move the stuff on D onto an external drive, delete D and expand C, and copy the stuff on D back onto your computer.
    However, there are some important things we need to know first.
    1) What operating system do you have?
    2) Go to start > run > diskmgmt.msc and take a screenshot so we can see how it's partitioned.
    3) What exactly is stored on D? Just random data? Or is there a 'program files' folder on there and/or other immovable things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    I assume you mean without losing stuff on local disk D? C is (usually) the windows partition and it would be difficult to remove it and then get it back in the same state - what should be easier is to move the stuff on D onto an external drive, delete D and expand C, and copy the stuff on D back onto your computer.
    However, there are some important things we need to know first.
    1) What operating system do you have?
    2) Go to start > run > diskmgmt.msc and take a screenshot so we can see how it's partitioned.
    3) What exactly is stored on D? Just random data? Or is there a 'program files' folder on there and/or other immovable things?
    Hey dude, theres nothing on drive D. I just have some programs/games on drive C that i dont want to lose/ reinstall
    my operating system is windows xp
    heres a screenshot of the partition

ReputationRep:
    It's quite a good idea to have two partitions- if you stick all your data (music/films/pictures/documents etc) on one and have the OS/Applications on the other it means that if for some reason you have to reinstall the OS you don't lose all your data. Also means that the OS is on the faster (outer) part of the hard drive and it may leave you less vulnerable to malware too. You can always just resize the C partition if you need more space for applications.

ReputationRep:
    Hey dude, theres nothing on drive D. I just have some programs/games on drive C that i dont want to lose/ reinstall
    my operating system is windows xp
    heres a screenshot of the partition
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Well windows XP makes it slightly more tricky, but everything else seems fine.
    Right click -> delete the d partition in the graphical representation.
    There may be a green box remaining where the D partition used to be. Right click -> delete that as well.

Now the tricky bit.
    Download Gparted cd (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) and either burn it to a cd or put it on a usb drive. I believe there are instructions on the website.
    Boot into that and then use the on the end of your c partition to drag it to fill the full available space (or right click -> resize...I think).
    It has been a while since I used it, so post back here if you have any problems.

(Original post by somebody else)
    It's quite a good idea to have two partitions- if you stick all your data (music/films/pictures/documents etc) on one and have the OS/Applications on the other it means that if for some reason you have to reinstall the OS you don't lose all your data. Also means that the OS is on the faster (outer) part of the hard drive and it may leave you less vulnerable to malware too. You can always just resize the C partition if you need more space for applications.
    I can accept the first reasoning (data safety) but I disagree with the malware bit.
    As a point of interest, the partitioning has been set up such that it is currently impossible to resize the C partition until the extended partition is removed (I know of know way to move an extended partition around).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebody else)
    For several years I was a firm believer in using partitions like this - but have finally decided it's more trouble than it's worth. I guess it's less of an issue with today's huge hard drives that most users will probably never fill, but I generally found that at some point I'd run out of space on one partition and have to either start moving files between partitions (defeating the point somewhat) or resize them, which is a bit of a risky process. Also when reinstalling the OS I would still have files scattered around the system drive I'd want to keep, often in the Application Data folder or even in Program Files (for older games), so it didn't really save me much effort. I also like to use an OS reinstall as a nice chance to go through my documents, deleting lots of things or archiving them on backup DVDs - otherwise they ended up bloated with many years' worth of crap you don't want any more.

As for data security - nothing beats making regular back-ups to another drive!

BTW wondering why on earth the OP's hard drive has been done with an extended partition? I thought Windows XP could handle more than one primary partition and that nobody used extended ones since Windows ME (unless they were making lots of partitions).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    BTW wondering why on earth the OP's hard drive has been done with an extended partition? I thought Windows XP could handle more than one primary partition and that nobody used extended ones since Windows ME (unless they were making lots of partitions).
    Yeah, I noted it was set up pretty badly. The extended partition is a mistake in this case.
    There is a physical limit of 4 primary partitions (not sure if you know this so thought I'd mention it), and windows xp can indeed handle all 4 being used. Not sure about the vagaries of windows ME though.
    I do use an extended partition, but then I currently have 5 partitions with room for 1 more.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I noted it was set up pretty badly. The extended partition is a mistake in this case.
    There is a physical limit of 4 primary partitions (not sure if you know this so thought I'd mention it), and windows xp can indeed handle all 4 being used. Not sure about the vagaries of windows ME though.
    I do use an extended partition, but then I currently have 5 partitions with room for 1 more.
    Well, Windows ME was built on top of Windows 98 which could definately only support 1 Primary + 1 Extended, so I assume ME was the same - which would make it the most recent Windows OS to not support 4 primary, and we're talking nearly 10 years ago!

ReputationRep:
    Well windows XP makes it slightly more tricky, but everything else seems fine.
    Right click -> delete the d partition in the graphical representation.
    There may be a green box remaining where the D partition used to be. Right click -> delete that as well.

Now the tricky bit.
    Download Gparted cd (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) and either burn it to a cd or put it on a usb drive. I believe there are instructions on the website.
    Boot into that and then use the on the end of your c partition to drag it to fill the full available space (or right click -> resize...I think).
    It has been a while since I used it, so post back here if you have any problems.

I can accept the first reasoning (data safety) but I disagree with the malware bit.
    As a point of interest, the partitioning has been set up such that it is currently impossible to resize the C partition until the extended partition is removed (I know of know way to move an extended partition around).
    Hey dude I tried this and after followin the on screen instructions it said this, im not sure what to do now.

ReputationRep:
    Hey dude I tried this and after followin the on screen instructions it said this, im not sure what to do now.

Ok, you now need to boot into that.
    Plug in your usb drive then turn your computer on.
    On your bios screen (i.e. the one before windows starts loading - it usually gives the name of your pc manufacturer, say dell or asus) there is usually an 'f' key you can press to choose which device to boot off (usually f8, f9, f10, f11 or f12). From here, you should be able to select your hard disk, your cd rom or your usb drive. You want the usb drive.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, you now need to boot into that.
    Plug in your usb drive then turn your computer on.
    On your bios screen (i.e. the one before windows starts loading - it usually gives the name of your pc manufacturer, say dell or asus) there is usually an 'f' key you can press to choose which device to boot off (usually f8, f9, f10, f11 or f12). From here, you should be able to select your hard disk, your cd rom or your usb drive. You want the usb drive.
    I think i got into the boot menu it said this though
    boot from the followin device

1st floppy drive
    PM ST 380817AS
    3M T88STCORPCD/DVDW SHS S182D
    1BA FE SSOT O54O V4116

Is one of the number ones the USB drive?

ReputationRep:
    I think i got into the boot menu it said this though
    boot from the followin device

1st floppy drive - not this one, we clearly don't want a floppy drive
    PM ST 380817AS - google suggests this is a seagate sata hard drive. We don't want this.
    3M T88STCORPCD/DVDW SHS S182D - the 'CD/DVDW' suggests a dvd drive. We don't want this.
    1BA FE SSOT O54O V4116 - this is probably the best bet.

Is one of the number ones the USB drive?
    See my comments in bold (i.e. give the final one on the list above a go).

Of course, the best way to find out is either to
    a) Try each one in turn or
    b) Take out the usb drive, reboot and look at the menu, then put in the usb drive, reboot and see what's changed.

ReputationRep:

b) Take out the usb drive, reboot and look at the menu, then put in the usb drive, reboot and see what's changed.
    I went on the last one, and nothing happened it just was a black screen with some writing an then afterwards it said
    start windows normally or safe mode options

ReputationRep:

Hey dude thanks for all your help, i put it on a DVd instead and booted it from there. I was able to resize the partition.
    Thanks again =]

ReputationRep:
    Hey dude thanks for all your help, i put it on a DVd instead and booted it from there. I was able to resize the partition.
    Thanks again =]
    Excellent, that was going to be my next suggestion.
    Good job

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.