The Student Room Group

Worth applying for universities with high entry requirements?

Hi, I am applying for university for 2011 entry and there are a couple of courses that I wanted to do at city and kings but will not get the exact entry grades but will probably get close. I have heard before that people have got onto courses that they did not get the required grades for because of impressing them in their personal statement.
Is it worth applying still as one of my options and is there a small chance they might except me?
Original post by alistair26

Is it worth applying still as one of my options

What are your AS grades, A2 predictions, and what is the typical offer for the course?

and is there a small chance they might except me?

Presumably, but if that "small" chance meant "0.1%" then it's probably not worth trying.
Reply 2
Well I applied for a course in Nottingham with the requirements of AAB-BBB with predicted grades of BCC and got an offer. So it's possible :smile:
Well, without knowing your predicted grades and their offers, it's hard to say ... but my advice would be that, if you have nowhere else you want to apply to, having one risky choice isn't a bad idea.
Reply 4
Well I already have two C's at Alevel and are doing two Alevels from home and am studying pretty hard and are aiming to get the best possible of two A's, the entry requirements is like ABB or AAB
So you're hoping for AACC, and want to try for an AAB/ABB uni? I think, as long as you make it your risky choice and have other appropriate and safe ones, it's worth the shot.
Reply 6
Original post by CapnHooch
Well I applied for a course in Nottingham with the requirements of AAB-BBB with predicted grades of BCC and got an offer. So it's possible :smile:

Was there any particular reason why they accepted you like anything you put in your personal statement?

thanks
To be honest, it seems a little futile. I don't think KCL or city would accept someone for an AAA course if they had CCAA.
Reply 8
Was there any particular reason why they accepted you like anything you put in your personal statement?

thanks

I don't think so, I just think my passion for the subject just came across?
Reply 9
Original post by CapnHooch
I don't think so, I just think my passion for the subject just came across?

I think I might give it a go I will show my real interest in the subject and will try to get some relevant work experience and tell them I am intending to do that over the next year.
Reply 10
Hi, I am applying for university for 2011 entry and there are a couple of courses that I wanted to do at city and kings but will not get the exact entry grades but will probably get close. I have heard before that people have got onto courses that they did not get the required grades for because of impressing them in their personal statement.
Is it worth applying still as one of my options and is there a small chance they might except me?

Yes, it is worth applying. 2/5 of universities you really want to go.
I think I might give it a go I will show my real interest in the subject and will try to get some relevant work experience and tell them I am intending to do that over the next year.

Good luck. Hope it all goes well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending