Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have this question for my physics homework:

(a) List the quantum numbers (L,S,J) of all the atomic states that arise for a two electron system comprising of an s electron and a d electron in the LS coupling scheme1, e.g. the (4s,3d) excited state of calcium.

(b) The 85Rb nucleus has a spin of 5/2. List the possible values of the total angular momentum quantum number F for (i) the 2S1/2 ground state, and (ii) the 2P3/2 excited states of the 85Rb atom.

I think I've managed to do (a), but i'm stuck on (b).

I've found that F=(J+I)....(J-1), but I have no idea how to calculate I. Could somebody tell me how to work this out please?

Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooseberry)
    I have this question for my physics homework:

(a) List the quantum numbers (L,S,J) of all the atomic states that arise for a two electron system comprising of an s electron and a d electron in the LS coupling scheme1, e.g. the (4s,3d) excited state of calcium.

(b) The 85Rb nucleus has a spin of 5/2. List the possible values of the total angular momentum quantum number F for (i) the 2S1/2 ground state, and (ii) the 2P3/2 excited states of the 85Rb atom.

I think I've managed to do (a), but i'm stuck on (b).

I've found that F=(J+I)....(J-1), but I have no idea how to calculate I. Could somebody tell me how to work this out please?

Thanks a lot.
    5/2?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.