Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We need to have less graduates or find jobs for graduates! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i'm against the tuition fee increase but wouldn't be so against it if a degree was actually worth anywhere near what it used to be.

The fact is nowadays graduates, even before the recession found it hard to get decent jobs as there are simply not enough jobs for the levels of graduates our universities are manufacturing each year.

The fact is, people are going to university to do things which they shouldn't be goign to university for, and it may even be disadvantaging them! I mean "fashion make up degrees" i know two people from my school doing these and I think it's just such a waste as they should just do a college, not 3 year degree programme after their A levels! Also things like photography would be far better learning on the job etc...same with floristry degrees!

People are pushed into university, not overtly, but covertly through the system. At my secondary school we were always basically told that we must do a degree in orderm to be successful etc and this has been drilled into us from an early age which basically pushed people into unievrsity. This has meant people who should not be going (for example someone in my year who has taken his GCSE english about 4 times and failed to get a C grade is doing a foundation degree to get to university!) People like that shouldn't be going!

I know this sounds elitist, but there is a line between being elitist and being down right stupid and we've crossed that line as we are sending people who should not be there, with terrible grades etc which is not only not benefitting the country in general but DISADVANTAGING THE INDIVIDUALS THEMSELVES!

Soo the real solution and only solution I believe would be to vastly reduce the
    numbers going to university, or create more graduate level jobs some how. I mean isn't it a complete scam people spending 3 years when their is a good chance they'll end up somewhere where you can get with just GCSEs (there are many suppoort workers at my mum's work who are graduates!) The fact they believe it is different to the reality is a scam, and now a VERY EXPENSIVE SCAM!

Also, our country has a horrible habbit of not appeaciating something when it becomes free. Behaviour in school, and participation rates are an example of this. By paying for things (i'm not saying we should pay for education before higher education) it makes us appreciate it far more and work harder, for example when people have to pay for courses themselves the dropout rate is much lower.

Maybe the increase in fees will benefit our country as it will reduce the numbers going so the ones who should be going will be attending university, and ensure our top institutions especially are properly funded so we can compete on the world stage.

I would appreciate any feedback. I know this post isn't really in a good order or whatever it is just my thoughts put down as I wanted to see what people thought.

Have a great day

ReputationRep:
    *fewer (or maybe we need more -- reading English language specifically :ninja:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honestly)
    the last 30 or so universities should close down, their funding should be directed at the better performing ones. people who do not exceed ABB or simillar in other qualifications should stop going to uni, most dont get far. and clearly if you believe that you will excel at uni then one should have attained good grades.
    Bit in bold proves your an idiot.
    and the rest of your post confirms it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Bit in bold proves your an idiot.
    and the rest of your post confirms it.
    why is that?

far too many in the system of university, far to less graduate jobs in the economy...

peace

ReputationRep:
    why is that?

far too many in the system of university, far to less graduate jobs in the economy...
    Ye .. but your post had nothing to do with that?

You said, with no basis of evidence, no figures or facts and with a very misguided view, that people who dont go to the top uni's will fail. When in fact this is a stupid statement. You clearly know nothing about it and are just basing this assumption on your own opinions.

The simple FACT is more often than not graduate employers dont care as much about university reputation as you think. They care so much more about your CV, experience, your general attitude and interview skills etc. This is obvious and only twatish elitist people would argue.

ReputationRep:
    why is that?

peace
    Because you can't judge a uni on its league tables. My university is in the bottom 30 I believe but it's very good for my subject. None of the top universities do my subject so that's not exactly fair. Also, the University of the Arts is meant to be the best place to go for art and design courses, yet it's ranked second lowest for art and design. There's definitely something wrong with the league tables!

ReputationRep:
    wow take time,,,

take time

ReputationRep:

You said, with no basis of evidence, no figures or facts and with a very misguided view, that people who dont go to the top uni's will fail. When in fact this is a stupid statement. You clearly know nothing about it and are just basing this assumption on your own opinions.

The simple FACT is more often than not graduate employers dont care as much about university reputation as you think. They care so much more about your CV, experience, your general attitude and interview skills etc. This is obvious and only twatish elitist people would argue.
    hahahahhahahaha jokes

:cool::confused::p:p

ReputationRep:

The government has the ability to change that by letting less people into university. It's not elitist at all, it's actually a fair meritocracy. You let people in past a certain cut off point and everyone else either goes into an alternative vocational/pseudo vocational institution or tries again the next year. When you've done that, you change the game so employers re think who to hire. We need to have less graduates but through a fair system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippa90)
    Because you can't judge a uni on its league tables. My university is in the bottom 30 I believe but it's very good for my subject. None of the top universities do my subject so that's not exactly fair. Also, the University of the Arts is meant to be the best place to go for art and design courses, yet it's ranked second lowest for art and design. There's definitely something wrong with the league tables!
    ahh. that i respect but its the academic subjects like history, english and law that i feel that have no goodness for those who do not get into the institutions who are strong in those subjects. people who want to study that with low alevel grades should be allowed to on the condition that they get top grades af first year undergrads

peace out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    The government has the ability to change that by letting less people into university. It's not elitist at all, it's actually a fair meritocracy. You let people in past a certain cut off point and everyone else either goes into an alternative vocational/pseudo vocational institution or tries again the next year. When you've done that, you change the game so employers re think who to hire. We need to have less graduates but through a fair system.
    well spoken....

peace out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    well spoken

peace out

ReputationRep:
    ahh. that i respect but its the academic subjects like history, english and law that i feel that have no goodness for those who do not get into the institutions who are strong in those subjects. people who want to study that with low alevel grades should be allowed to on the condition that they get top grades af first year undergrads

peace out
    I agree Just wanted to point this out

ReputationRep:
    Actually, just need more graduates to realise that they don't have a god-given right to walk straight into £30k+ paying jobs the week after finishing university.

If they understood that there's nothing wrong with doing a £20-25k/yr job for a year or two to build up experience and then go for bigger jobs then the problem would be massively reduced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippa90)
    I agree Just wanted to point this out
    much respected ....

peace out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Actually, just need more graduates to realise that they don't have a god-given right to walk straight into £30k+ paying jobs the week after finishing university.

If they understood that there's nothing wrong with doing a £20-25k/yr job for a year or two to build up experience and then go for bigger jobs then the problem would be massively reduced.

i could not agree more...

peace out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)

I do agree, but there is more much apparent in the way people think in TSR. People i know in real life, from whatever university doing whatever degree, all accept and are happy with stuff such as this much more than the people on this forum appear to be.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read the OP so I'm not fully sure if this would be relevant...but I heard a saying about Harvard students:

"Everyone at Harvard is inventing something. Harvard undergraduates believe that inventing a job is better than finding a job."

I think this can apply to students of all universities, maybe this struggle to find a job can be a catalyst in pushing students to be more innovative and try out different, progressive approaches in establishing a career.

ReputationRep:
    What we need are better advised students about their options post A Level. Those that choose to study at University should do so with the aim of securing well paid employment - not guaranteed - but at least with a fighting chance. The hike in fees empower students to demand a better education and be treated like customers. Degrees can then become a credible currency once again and people have a better start to their career rather than flooding the market giving employers the chance to dictate terms!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonSmart)
    What we need are better advised students about their options post A Level. Those that choose to study at University should do so with the aim of securing well paid employment - not guaranteed - but at least with a fighting chance. The hike in fees empower students to demand a better education and be treated like customers. Degrees can then become a credible currency once again and people have a better start to their career rather than flooding the market giving employers the chance to dictate terms!
    This. tbh. I think far too often degrees are talked about, especially by schools like a "golden ticket" to a high paid career etc..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.